Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best of 1969... so far

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I have 4-5 common titles with everybody here. But no one chose the Stooges - you tenacious progheads!
    No, but I did choose MC5, so I decline the title of tenacious proghead...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I should have chosen MC5 too.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I liked very much your list, and also considered stuff like MC5, Volunteers and Velvet Underground for mine.

Initially, following their first 3 records, I was disappointed that ‘Uncle Meat’ was mostly an instrumental album, but, over time, became enamored with sides 1 thru 3, and the album has maintained a profound status in my mind ever since. It is cold, passionate, pachuco, outstanding and timeless.

Despite the fact that this is a music thread, I won’t resist mentioning The Firesign Theatre’s ‘How Can You Be In Two Places At Once When You’re Not Anywhere At All’. I can’t say that I clearly understood the title track until a book came out in the ‘70s containing the printed script, but the Firesign’s creative use of voices/dialects and sounds was, for me, inspirational. In the realm of comedy, HCYBITPAOWYNAAA was imaginative, progressive, and epic (25+ minutes long). Side 2 is Nick Danger, their take on the golden age of radio, with a couple of nods at the white album.

I have 4-5 common titles with everybody here. But no one chose the Stooges - you tenacious progheads!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I liked very much your list, and also considered stuff like MC5, Volunteers and Velvet Underground for mine.
    Well, my list contained my Gnosis 13 & 12

and while I like early Stogges and MC5 (and VU's WLWH) , I gave them a Gnosis 9 (which is above average, but I did give Fun House a 10), but after checking out my 1969 ratings lower down the list, my Gnosis9 start out from spot 121. Before that, there are still all of my Gnosis 11 & 10.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Fred Frith on Trout Mask Replica in 1974 " 'It is always alarming to hear people playing together and yet not in any recognizable rhythmic pattern. This is not free music; it is completely controlled all the time, which is one of the reasons it's remarkable, forces that usually emerge in improvisation are harnessed and made constant, repeatable"

I am completely blown away by Tony Williams Lifetime Emergency, of which existence I was vaguely aware. What an incredible meeting of musicians, meeting in the real sense of the word. This sounds like McLaughlin's best performance, it is even better than the terrific, same year's Extrapilation.

I am completely blown away by Tony Williams Lifetime Emergency, of which existence I was vaguely aware. What an incredible meeting of musicians, meeting in the real sense of the word.
    And colossally influential.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I am completely blown away by Tony Williams Lifetime Emergency, of which existence I was vaguely aware. What an incredible meeting of musicians, meeting in the real sense of the word. This sounds like McLaughlin's best performance, it is even better than the terrific, same year's Extrapilation.
    I owned the original vinyl in the 80's (bought used and not in a very good shape either), and loved it, despite always cringing at how badly it was recorded, so much that I've never come to terms buying it in CD format, so I don't own the album anymore

Anyways, my fave early McL solo album is next year's Devotion, because he unleashes everything, whereas extrapolation is still too "jazz" for my adoration

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    Initially, following their first 3 records, I was disappointed that ‘Uncle Meat’ was mostly an instrumental album, but, over time, became enamored with sides 1 thru 3, and the album has maintained a profound status in my mind ever since. It is cold, passionate, pachuco, outstanding and timeless.
    mmmmhhhh

Maybe someone can help my out with that side C thing or disc2 of the Cd version that includes:

1. Uncle Meat Film Excerpt, Pt. 1 (37:34)
    2. Tengo Na Minchia Tanta (3:46)
    3. Uncle Meat Film Excerpt, Pt. 2 (3:50)

I mean WTF??

Don't get me wrong Tengo Na is good, but the rest....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

^ Luckily those damn 'film excerpts' aren't to be found anywhere near the double Reprise vinyl. And neither are cuts'n'slots'n'gaps between the "tunes", so it all plays like an almost seamless narrative. Or rather like a radio documentary of sorts. I really like Jimmy Carl Black's burping throughout the record, and it's particularly fabulous in light of his unwittingly recorded complaint towards the bandleader halfway in; "Look, we're starving, man!"
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Lovingly known as 'penalty tracks' among Zappa fans. He didn't half make a mess when he put his albums on CD.

'Vuelta Abajo' on the follow-up Turn It Over is perhaps my favourite jazz rock track. Absolutely red hot. I think this project was Jack Bruce's favourite of everything he'd ever done. The magnificent non-album single 'One Word' has Bruce on vocals.

Man, I got see TW Lifetime live, as a quartet with Bruce. I had no knowledge of the clean-cut short-hair guy playing guitar. And then he played and it was simply beyond belief. The venue was the Birmingham Palladium, suburban Detroit. One of the most amazing shows I ever saw- John McLaughlin with Tony, Larry and Jack. Incredibly loud, as well.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Man, I got see TW Lifetime live, as a quartet with Bruce. I had no knowledge of the clean-cut short-hair guy playing guitar. And then he played and it was simply beyond belief. The venue was the Birmingham Palladium, suburban Detroit. One of the most amazing shows I ever saw- John McLaughlin with Tony, Larry and Jack. Incredibly loud, as well.
    And you're the guy who saw Blue.Cheer and MC5 live together...I don't even have words to comment on your live experiences sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    And colossally influential.
    I think (obviously from my list) that Extrapolation is great. But Emergency! is quite remarkable; especially since it was recorded before Bitches Brew IIRC
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Hi everyone, new member here.
    I agree about the excellent debuts from Caravan, Renaissance & obviously KC. Also pleased to note the love for Cohen … he was lyrically progressive if nothing else and Room was one of his best. And even more pleased to see the love for Fairport, although I'll give the nod to Unhalfbricking over Liege & Lief.

And you're the guy who saw Blue.Cheer and MC5 live together...I don't even have words to comment on your live experiences sir.
    Plus, The Who in a high school-gymnasium.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I think (obviously from my list) that Extrapolation is great. But Emergency! is quite remarkable; especially since it was recorded before Bitches Brew IIRC
    Another +1 for Emergency here. Truly unique and amazing album, and its obvious flaws (production, vocals) don't detract one bit from its greatness. In fact I've got to go find my copy and listen to it now.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    ...especially since it was recorded before Bitches Brew IIRC
    I don't really see the connection, unless we're referring to the use of electric instruments into jazz. Emergency is a very different beast, there is a lot of singing and it's even more eclectic than Bitches Brew which retains a strong jazz element at its core. Emergency I would find hard to even call a jazz record.

I am embarrassed I didn't know of this earlier, but immensely glad to finally discover it.

I don't really see the connection, unless we're referring to the use of electric instruments into jazz. Emergency is a very different beast, there is a lot of singing and it's even more eclectic than Bitches Brew which retains a strong jazz element at its core. Emergency I would find hard to even call a jazz record.

I am embarrassed I didn't know of this earlier, but immensely glad to finally discover it.
    The Vinyl was not HiFi but listenable, the 'restored' CD's I have heard are harsh...

Dont forget the follow-up 1970: Turn It Over (Verve) with the same crew + Jack Bruce. Psychedelic as hell. Originally released as a single album (record companys orders...) but later the full package in Bill Laswells remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDjz9BzJ4cM

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Perry View Post
    Hi everyone, new member here.
    I agree about the excellent debuts from Caravan, Renaissance & obviously KC. Also pleased to note the love for Cohen … he was lyrically progressive if nothing else and Room was one of his best. And even more pleased to see the love for Fairport, although I'll give the nod to Unhalfbricking over Liege & Lief.
    Welcome to the crazy house Phil! Best place to discuss tunes on the 'net even though we are all mentally...I dunno....crazy or perhaps just very unstable?

I also prefer Unhalfbricking slightly over Lief but it's splitting hairs. If you dig Caravan, you will enjoy our annual Canterbury thread which pops up around the new year. Hey isn't Hatfield in Hertfordshire?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The Vinyl was not HiFi but listenable, the 'restored' CD's I have heard are harsh...

Dont forget the follow-up 1970: Turn It Over (Verve) with the same crew + Jack Bruce. Psychedelic as hell. Originally released as a single album (record companys orders...) but later the full package in Bill Laswells remix: ]
    Thanks, I'll listen to it.

I love the completely unlistenable sound of Emergency. That's how they should make them!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Welcome to the crazy house Phil! Best place to discuss tunes on the 'net even though we are all mentally...I dunno....crazy or perhaps just very unstable?
    Stable geniuses.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Stable geniuses.

I will only welcome a new member when I am convinced they are not Svetonio.

He didn't post a YT clip....he's authentic.