Thread: Wish You Were Here - Experience Edition

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Wish You Were Here - Experience Edition

I was never interested in the Floyd Immersion Editions and their trinkets and altered cover art. I had most of the content, or stuff that was close enough. But the one thing I got was the 2CD Experience Edition of WYWH. I needed to hear that one track, “Wine Glasses,” from the abandoned Household Objects project. But I listened to the disks once, and I guess not very carefully (this was about two years ago).

Last night I listened to disk two again more carefully. It’s excellent! The 1974 Wembly tracks are similar to the versions on British Winter Tour ‘74 but are, I think, better. Anyway, if you’ve heard British Winter Tour you know what it’s like. But I think the Wembly tracks on the Experience Edition Sound better. More bass, not brittle.basically. The tracks are amazingly great alternate versions, and it’s interesting to hear how things changed.

Most striking to me is the track from Household Objects. I wasn’t looking at the track list when it came on, and at first I didn’t know what it was. It’s a beautiful, serene sonic thing - hard to describe, but very Krautrock. And I assume someone’s playing actual wine glasses, but not sure. I think they could have done something really different and interesting if they’d continued. Also, if Household Objects ended up as the real title, it’s a cool album title, and Wine Glasses could be a cool track title.

Maybe the book that came with the full set has more info on Wine Glasses. Anyone have the full set and know if there’s info on that?

How many tracks, in total, are known to exist from "Household Objects"? I know the band spent absurd amounts of studio time working on the concept before abandoning it.

However, all I've ever been able to find are two:

1. The Hard Way 3:05
    2. Wine Glasses 2:14

Is that really all there is?

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Household Objects
    After the success of The Dark Side of the Moon, the band were unsure of their future direction and worried about how they would be able to top that record's huge popularity. In a return to their experimental beginnings, they began work on a project entitled Household Objects, which would consist of songs played literally on household appliances. Instruments consisted of old hand mixers, rubber bands stretched between two tables, wine glasses, etc., however, the planned album was soon shelved. Two tracks recorded at these sessions, "The Hard Way", and "Wine Glasses" (later incorporated into the opening of Shine On You Crazy Diamond), were released on the Pink Floyd reissues in September and November 2011 on The Dark Side of the Moon (Immersion Box Set) and Wish You Were Here (Experience Version and Immersion Box Set), respectively.
    Are there any other tracks that were "performed" (since these are studio creations) in live shows from the time?
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 11-10-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Looks like they played all of WYWH except the title track and Welcome to the Machine, the early Animals tracks, all of DSOTM, and Echoes.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    How many tracks, in total, are known to exist from "Household Objects"? I know the band spent absurd amounts of studio time working on the concept before abandoning it.

However, all I've ever been able to find are two:

1. The Hard Way 3:05
    2. Wine Glasses 2:14

Is that really all there is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAEOZIcZngU&t=645s
    I saw this on Youtube a while back..

Subscribe
    PINK FLOYD - Household Objects (EP) [1974]

SIDE 1
    01 - Wine Glasses (from the "Household Objects" project)
    02 - Welcome To The Machine (Original Album Version)
    03 - Have A Cigar (Alternate Version)

SIDE 2
    04 - The Hard Way (from the "Household Objects" project)
    05 - Wish You Were Here (feat. Stéphane Grappelli on violin)

Well there's this, from the "Work" suite, which appeared on "The Man & The Journey." But it hardly counts, as it's just a percussion piece.

Along with The Man / The Journey, Household Objects is one of those fascinating footnotes that make the Floyd story better than any other band (bar The Beatles and Beach Boys)

At the risk of sounding like a total Floyd boron, I recall the band stating that they created a track with rubber bands being used to create bass tracks. On the Pompeii movie, (at 5.30 mins) You can hear about 3 seconds of what they could be talking about.

Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    I recall the band stating that they created a track with rubber bands being used to create bass tracks.
    That would be "The Hard Way." Well documented.