Thread: Bill Bruford-'Feels Good To Me' & 'One Of A Kind' (with 5.1 mixes on DVD) (11/8/2019)

Bill Bruford-'Feels Good To Me' & 'One Of A Kind' (with 5.1 mixes on DVD) (11/8/2019)

Feels Good To Me:
    The band Bruford recorded this album in 1978 and it went on to achieve critical acclaimed and commercial success. This release includes a CD of a new stereo remix, and a DVD with a new 5.1 surround sound mix along with the original 1978 mix, all taken from the original 1978 analogue tapes, and all housed in a replica gatefold sleeve.

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/32397496...e-remixed-edit

One Of A Kind:
    The band Bruford recorded this album in 1979 and it went on to achieve critical acclaimed and commercial success. This release includes a CD of a new stereo remix, and a DVD with a new 5.1 surround sound mix along with the original 1979 mix, all taken from the original 1979 analogue tapes, and all housed in a replica gatefold sleeve.

https://www.bullmoose.com/p/32397497...-one-of-a-kind

_________________________ Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    new 5.1 surround sound mix
    Presumably not "new" since the release of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Presumably not "new" since the release of the box.
    That's true; these are 'standalone' releases from the Seems Like A Lifetime Ago box set from two years ago.

_________________________ Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I notice that the updated Heavenly Bodies comp. from the complete Earthworks box set is coming out as a standalone 2-CD release. It offers the extra Earthworks Underground tracks that were only available if you bought that album when it first came out.

Now if only the Santiago and Conception discs could see a standalone release...

Already on the way to me from Burning Shed. $37.70 for both, including shipping to USA.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Feels Good to Me stereo remix? I don't care about 5.1, but I've often felt I'd like a remixed version of this album that addresses some of the vocal/music balance, plus possibly having better sound overall, might be nice. If this new stereo mix is good, I might bite, so I'd welcome opinions on it. Thanks.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on the Feels Good to Me stereo remix? I don't care about 5.1, but I've often felt I'd like a remixed version of this album that addresses some of the vocal/music balance, plus possibly having better sound overall, might be nice. If this new stereo mix is good, I might bite, so I'd welcome opinions on it. Thanks.

Bill
    My cd version of Feels Good doesn’t play anymore. If this is an improvement I’d definitely go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Already on the way to me from Burning Shed. $37.70 for both, including shipping to USA.
    Yup. I spotted these last week and ordered.

If it is Bill, I want it.

These are two amazing albums; they deserve to have the best mix and fidelity possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

Bill
    Haven't heard them yet, however, John Kelman did a review of Bruford's Seems Like A Lifetime Ago box set two years ago (where these 5.1 remixes were first released) and it sounds like they're both worth getting.
    https://www.allaboutjazz.com/seems-l...ohn-kelman.php

The original vinyls are really good too.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I was lucky in the days and got a new japanese pressing of 'Feels Good' that was way superior to my original LP.

^ My original on Polydor is also very good.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ My original on Polydor is also very good.
    A problem in those days was that you could get bad pressings. Either due to sloppiness or way to many printed on the same matrix.
    I remember it was important to avoid dutch pressings and preferably find an american.

But my Holdsworth IOU original american pressing was horrible, and the dutch one I bought later was great!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    A problem in those days was that you could get bad pressings. Either due to sloppiness or way to many printed on the same matrix.
    I remember it was important to avoid dutch pressings and preferably find an american.

But my Holdsworth IOU original american pressing was horrible, and the dutch one I bought later was great!
    I know what you mean about 'bad pressings'; I had Feels Good To Me on vinyl when it first came out (the Polydor USA edition) and it had a skip on "Beelzebub" which I didn't even notice (until I picked up FGTM on CD and heard a part of the song that I didn't recognize). Looking forward to these remixed editions.

The best versions imo
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I notice that the updated Heavenly Bodies comp. from the complete Earthworks box set is coming out as a standalone 2-CD release. It offers the extra Earthworks Underground tracks that were only available if you bought that album when it first came out.
    Thanks for pointing this out! I just placed my annual birthday CD order and I threw this in with it, even though I have the original 1-disc version.
    Prog, Metal and Classic rock reviews/interviews - www.velvetthunder.co.uk