Thread: Battles - new album Juice B Crypts, featuring your favorite Jon

Battles - new album Juice B Crypts, featuring your favorite Jon

Surprised to not see this discussed on here. Battles are one of those "prog adjacent" math rock groups that were kind of a hip name for a while thanks to the tune "Atlas". Nowadays they're all about those crazy rhythms. Anyway, their latest album has a collab with Jon Anderson on it, its very cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMMpdxAxDjw
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

That's quite unexpected...
    Got to see them live and they are fantastic, would have never thought they would collaborate with JA of all people

i'm in. already own their three previous ones and saw them at ArcTanGent this year. they blew away every cobweb that may have accumulated. revenge of the nerds!

Not really fond of this last album.

Live concerts is a different story. Saw them in 2011 and it was an amazing experience.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Not really fond of this last album.
    Same here. Hard to live up to "Gloss Drop."

I'm anxious to check out the JA collab.
    Chad

^ Isn't the Jon Anderson collaboration on this new album?

if anyone happens to be in Japan they are doing a tour with Susumu Hirasawa, that is one hell of a double bill

I have a chance to see them warming up for the foals in may, but don't know the foals and Battles are not enough to warrant a 2 hour *2 train trips (from Nick Mason to VDGG )

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm liking the new album, Anderson collaboration could have been anyone really.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I liked the first two EPs, I loved Mirrored but didn't particularly care for the followup. I preferred Tyondai Braxton's debut solo release.

Wonderful to hear that Jon is on, though. Everything gets better once Jon is on.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^I recall seeing some stuff about Braxton's solo album, and I likely wish listed it on rateyourmusic. How would you compare to the Battles stuff?

I have kind of adopted the mentality like Opeth without growling, Battles doesn't sound like Battles without Tyondai Braxton .

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    How would you compare to the Battles stuff?
    First, I was sadly mistaken about Central Market being his debut solo release; I believe it was his third one. And I don't think it sounds very much like Battles at all; less groovy, perhaps a bit less organic too, but more through-composed and yet quite "abstract" in expression. I suppose it reflects his influences from modern composers like Jason Eckardt, Sam Hayden etc. or others writing within the 'New Complexity' moniker, as well as imprints of his father. There's certainly something strangely 'rock' about it still.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ Yes, Central Market is a beautiful album.

I do really like the Battles tune with Jon Anderson.

in my opinion Battles got better after Braxton left. nothing against him but I feel like his departure forced the band to tighten up and bring in a variety of interesting guests. I really love their collabs with Gary Numan & Yamataka Eye (not on the same track, sadly)