Thread: Bandcamp collection question

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

Bandcamp collection question

Is there a way to add things to your bandcamp collection that you did buy, but bought from a source that wasn't bandcamp?

(I get a lot of those 'the time has come to open thy heart/wallet' pop up warnings, but a fair amount for things I do actually own, but still want to be able to stream them from the site.)

Thanks.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I don’t know for sure, but I doubt it....
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Doubt it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Boo...
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Same reason you can't automatically own ITunes licenses for music that you bought on CD. Every service is separate.

Contact the artist(s) directly. If you can show evidence you purchased their material elsewhere, they may be able to help.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

another BC question: why does BC only have some tunes downloaded on my Android after I download the entire album at 320? For instance, I downloaded Heaven Born by Cardiacs on my phone, then I try to stream it offline in the car via Bluetooth, and only about 3 or 4 songs are downloaded and able to play offline?

Why I am having such a difficult time with trying to play BC albums offline? I just can't seem to get this....

I never have any trouble but I always download them to pc first. From there i copy to phone and external hd for backup.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I never have any trouble but I always download them to pc first. From there i copy to phone and external hd for backup.
    Do you download them as WAVs or MP3s to your PC first? I also have them downloaded as WAVs on my PC but I want mp3 on my phone to save space. Do you use the BC app on the phone to stream offline once they are downloaded?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I download as FLAC and load them on my player and have had no issues.

Pretty sure once you've bought them you can do 2 downloads as WAV and mp3.

^ I don't think Bandcamp limits how many times you can download your purchased music.

Frank, which app are you using on your phone to play the songs you've downloaded? Or is it the Bandcamp app itself?

I use an iPhone, so I'm very inexperienced with Android as an OS. I may not be much help, but I can still try.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ^ I don't think Bandcamp limits how many times you can download your purchased music.

Frank, which app are you using on your phone to play the songs you've downloaded? Or is it the Bandcamp app itself?

I use an iPhone, so I'm very inexperienced with Android as an OS. I may not be much help, but I can still try.
    OK, so let me try to explain this a bit clearer:

I am using the BC app itself to stream my albums in my car (on the go) via bluetooth. If you click the 'airplane' mode button, the phone takes you offline so its a good test to see if the stuff has actually downloaded or not. I recently bought an Electric Orange double LP which came with a BC download code...and it looks like both of those downloaded perfectly to my phone as MP3 320. But a few other albums like the Up River Henry Kaiser album - all tracks except 2 downloaded to my phone? Same thing with Cardiacs Heaven Born, except about 7 tracks did NOT download to my phone. However, when I open the files folder of my Samsung, all of the Cardiacs tracks are there and it should work? It's just strange why some tracks are not downloading correctly...and I have over 20 GB space available on my phone so its not a space issue. Maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall the BC app and try all over again?

Thanks anyway for any help
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Or try and redownload those specific tracks that are missing
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I never use the bc app to play mp3s. Did not even know that is possible.

I've never had much luck with the BC app on my phone. I download the files to my PC, move them to my phone, then use PowerAmp to play them (via Bluetooth into my car stereo).

That gives me a backup of everything (on the PC), and I have the opportunity to adjust MP3 tags to my liking before moving files to my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    How do you copy stuff from the computer to your phone? I've been trying to suss out how to do that. Do you just e-mail it to yourself, then open the e-mail on your phone, or what?

Plug your phone into your laptop and drag and drop.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    How do you copy stuff from the computer to your phone? I've been trying to suss out how to do that. Do you just e-mail it to yourself, then open the e-mail on your phone, or what?
    Plug your phone into the PC using a data-ready USB cable. Assuming you're running Windows, when you plug it in, you should hear a ping and you might see a message. If nothing happens, look in File Explorer for something connected to drive D:, E:, etc. If still nothing, you might be using a charge-only USB cable that doesn't carry data. Find the proper data cable -- probably the original that came with your phone. When you do get it connected, it will appear as any other drive in Windows, which you can explore with File Explorer. Browse around to find files that you already loaded, or maybe create a new folder, or whatever. Drag and drop files like you normally would between two open windows. Then you'll need an MP3 player. Your BC app might work (but you might need to tell it where to find the files you just loaded). You might have a native app that came with your Android phone. Or you might want to download something like PowerAmp. If you need more help, I'd be glad. PM me if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    Plug your phone into the PC using a data-ready USB cable. Assuming you're running Windows, when you plug it in, you should hear a ping and you might see a message. If nothing happens, look in File Explorer for something connected to drive D:, E:, etc. If still nothing, you might be using a charge-only USB cable that doesn't carry data. Find the proper data cable -- probably the original that came with your phone. When you do get it connected, it will appear as any other drive in Windows, which you can explore with File Explorer. Browse around to find files that you already loaded, or maybe create a new folder, or whatever. Drag and drop files like you normally would between two open windows. Then you'll need an MP3 player. Your BC app might work (but you might need to tell it where to find the files you just loaded). You might have a native app that came with your Android phone. Or you might want to download something like PowerAmp. If you need more help, I'd be glad. PM me if you want.
    OK, I tried to plug my old flip phone in to the computer, because I was trying to transfer some pictures I took, but I couldn't see them on the File Explorer. Then, as I recall, the phone went wonky and we had to call Trac-fone to get it straightened out. But my impression was you don't want to plug the phone into the computer.

I'm assuming I can use the USB cable I use when I transfer material onto my Walkman, right?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    OK, I tried to plug my old flip phone in to the computer, because I was trying to transfer some pictures I took, but I couldn't see them on the File Explorer. Then, as I recall, the phone went wonky and we had to call Trac-fone to get it straightened out. But my impression was you don't want to plug the phone into the computer.

I'm assuming I can use the USB cable I use when I transfer material onto my Walkman, right?
    If the cable transfers data to one device, it will transfer data to any.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    OK, so let me try to explain this a bit clearer:

I am using the BC app itself to stream my albums in my car (on the go) via bluetooth. If you click the 'airplane' mode button, the phone takes you offline so its a good test to see if the stuff has actually downloaded or not. I recently bought an Electric Orange double LP which came with a BC download code...and it looks like both of those downloaded perfectly to my phone as MP3 320. But a few other albums like the Up River Henry Kaiser album - all tracks except 2 downloaded to my phone? Same thing with Cardiacs Heaven Born, except about 7 tracks did NOT download to my phone. However, when I open the files folder of my Samsung, all of the Cardiacs tracks are there and it should work? It's just strange why some tracks are not downloading correctly...and I have over 20 GB space available on my phone so its not a space issue. Maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall the BC app and try all over again?

Thanks anyway for any help
    Oh wow, that's strange. It sounds like the files are actually there since your phone is showing them in the files folder, but the Bandcamp app isn't seeing them for some reason. I wish I knew how to resolve that.

There are some other options for playing downloaded music from your phone though. Does your phone have any other music apps on it? There should be some that will play files from the phone itself, I would think (with Android being a more open system than iOS). I'll see if I can find out anything.

Do you know which version of Android you have running btw?