Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allman's debut album released 50 years ago today

Allman's debut album released 50 years ago today

Thus launching one of the all time great rock bands.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/allm...s-debut-album/

I miss the Brothers
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

To this day, "Not My Cross To Bear" is still one of my favorite songs of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    To this day, "Not My Cross To Bear" is still one of my favorite songs of all time.
    Man, when Gregg begins those first two verses.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    One of my all time favourite bands. My Cross To Bear is indeed wonderful, soulful, and emotional. I haven't played the debut in a while but will fix that! Stunning guitar on this track too.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Great album great band. The best was yet to come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure where Live at Ludlow Garage fits in the album order but I always liked that release
    ludlow garage.jpg

I bought a special edition of Low Country Blues by Gregg Allman and received a very nice 3 ft by 1 foot poster of Gregg walking along a country road with his back to the camera. It is hand signed and I put the poster/litograph into a really special frame with complimentary matting. It's at the top of my stairs to the bedroom so I pass by it often and am so glad to own it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Old man of prog
    I was 13 years old and my 8th grade Math teacher brought me to the store the day it came out to buy it. 25 years later I was privileged to work with them for the next 10 years. One of the highlights of my professional career.

I was first turned on to Idlewild South as a 15 year old, and then listened to the debut album. Their music changed my life. I've been playing Berry Oakley
    licks ever since. I currently have an ABB tribute band, Idlewild West, here in the Bay Area. I missed seeing Duane by a month, at Carnegie Hall. I'll be]
    seeing The Allman Family Revival in December at The Fillmore in Sf, with The Allman Betts Band, and a number of guests. The next generation now carries
    the torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Great album great band. The best was yet to come
    I actually think this was their defining studio album. Peach and B&S may be a tad more varied and refined, but there's nothing like the smokey haze-vibe of "Dreams" or the complete onslaught of "Whipping Post".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

My sisters ex got me into the Allmans back when Eat a Peach was released. Every time I heard a new album with Gregg singing after that I got goosebumps.

I had Eat a Peach in high school in the mid-70s. Gregg's vocals are amongst the best in rock overall. Their music was ground breaking and so powerful. My love of the Allman Brother in full didn't take hold until recent years. I was lucky enough to see Allmans for 3 nights in Boston about 10 years ago. I was captivated and the shows ranks among the best of seen in my life. I had to cross the border from Canada to Boston so I was also lucky that a friendly fan gave me a joint of pretty powerful weed that I smoked before two of the shows! I also caught the Allmans in New York state.

I wish I could post the framed lithograph of Old Country Road with Gregg's autograph. It's a beauty and is placed where I can look at it regularly.

There are very few white singers who can deliver the blues as soulfully as Gregg. It's a short list that, IMHO, includes Johnny Winter, Jack Bruce and Van Morrison. those aren't the only ones, but they are the first ones I think of. A lot of white singers can mimic the blues, but they are soulless.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I just found a cheap copy of Live at Atlanta Pop Festival at a local store. I love the sound on this one and it includes Dreams which is a favorite. The spoken intro to this set is priceless!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There are very few white singers who can deliver the blues as soulfully as Gregg. It's a short list that, IMHO, includes Johnny Winter, Jack Bruce and Van Morrison. those aren't the only ones, but they are the first ones I think of. A lot of white singers can mimic the blues, but they are soulless.
    You don't have to look far for another one for inclusion on that list; his bandmate Warren Haynes.

I bought it upon its release on the strength of a small item in the "Random Notes" section of Rolling Stone magazine some time before, something to the effect of "a great band out of Macon." I caught them a few times back then, most famously when they recorded the Fillmore East LP. Good times.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I caught them a few times back then, most famously when they recorded the Fillmore East LP. Good times.....
    Er, you're actually in the audience when they're doing "Elizabeth Reed"?!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I bought it upon its release on the strength of a small item in the "Random Notes" section of Rolling Stone magazine some time before, something to the effect of "a great band out of Macon." I caught them a few times back then, most famously when they recorded the Fillmore East LP. Good times.....
    If only I had a time machine to travel back and see those shows.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I miss the Brothers
    Me too!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Er, you're actually in the audience?
    Not only in the audience but of the audience...

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    If only I had a time machine to travel back and see those shows.
    I was also there a couple of months later when the Bros closed the Fillmore.

🤢

That is fucking awesome!

I bought the original album in a small record store in Long Beach.

I have no idea why I knew I had to have it but thank goodness I did!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    That is fucking awesome!
    The weekend they recorded, Johnny Winter And was the headliner; not too shabby!