Thread: Genesis - Selling England BluRay Release

Genesis - Selling England BluRay Release

Hi all,

a few years ago, unannounced, a BluRay release of Selling England appeared. None of the other albums were released in this format, then or since.

Does anyone know the story behind this unusual release?

- Nick.

I've always wondered about that, too. I thought perhaps all the albums would be released that way, then ... nothing.

It was an High Fidelity Pure Audio release. HFPA Blu-ray Discs were meant to replace SACD and DVD-Audio, but ultimately failed. Or weren’t as successful as hoped and were quickly abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberian Cat View Post
    It was an High Fidelity Pure Audio release. HFPA Blu-ray Discs were meant to replace SACD and DVD-Audio, but ultimately failed. Or weren’t as successful as hoped and were quickly abandoned.
    Indeed - it seems like there haven't been very many such releases.

Given that Blu-Ray players are more popular than DVD-A or SACD, I find it strange if no-one is releasing more high-definition audio discs in this format.

In any case - this was a very mediocre package. With very little effort paid to the artwork/sleevenotes. I don't think they even included the original mix (which is an opportunity missed).

Quote Originally Posted by The Twickerman View Post
    Indeed - it seems like there haven't been very many such releases.

Given that Blu-Ray players are more popular than DVD-A or SACD, I find it strange if no-one is releasing more high-definition audio discs in this format.

In any case - this was a very mediocre package. With very little effort paid to the artwork/sleevenotes. I don't think they even included the original mix (which is an opportunity missed).
    In the mainstream market, no physical format or physical format device is doing particularly well; certainly not enough to warrant a full scale reissue campaign. A lot of us here still avidly collect CD's, etc., but the formats are still dead as Dillinger.

The main advantage of Blu-Ray Audio discs is they play on a wider array of players, unlike DVD-A and SACD which require more specialized players. Most BD players can at the very least, pass through Hi-Res audio via HDMI to a receiver, if not process Hi-Res audio themselves.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    In the mainstream market, no physical format or physical format device is doing particularly well; certainly not enough to warrant a full scale reissue campaign. A lot of us here still avidly collect CD's, etc., but the formats are still dead as Dillinger.
    True, but many prog artists are successfully selling multi-channel as physical products. Much more lavishly presented than this - however. As far as I can tell, streaming multi-channel (except for movies, of course) hasn't really caught on.