Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Jethro Tull - The Prog Years Tour 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    So who here would have a problem with Ian just playing flute and guitar and letting someone else doing all the vocals for him at his shows? Would you go or be disappointed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here? Of course, they'll find something to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Not, relative to how excellent he once was.
    He sounds fantastic to my ears. In fact, he uses his voice better than he did in the early 70s. There was a big change in the 80s when he was working with Vangelis. He seemed to stop singing with his mouth and began using his diaphragm.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw him with Yes in the 70s and most recently 3 years ago. To my ears, he sounded great!
    +1
    Orange is the new stupid.

So who here would have a problem with Ian just playing flute and guitar and letting someone else doing all the vocals for him at his shows? Would you go or be disappointed?

As far as I am concerned, not at all. I attended the TAAB I/II tour many years ago and found the additional singer/actor (Ryan) formula a very good compromise. Unfortunately, for some reasons beyond me I.A seems no longer willing to delegate the vocal duties to another singer which is (IMO) a big mistake.

[QUOTE=Fracktured;956865]Al Stewart is 74 and still sounds great also.

Agreed!! Going to see Al tonite in Delray Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw him with Yes in the 70s and most recently 3 years ago. To my ears, he sounded great!
    Jon has recovered and ainít bad, but just not the vocalist I heard in the round in 1977.
    Art is parasitic on life, just as criticism is parasitic on art.
    Harry S Truman

It would depend a lot on what he was touring. Since I'm a "Prog Years" Tull fan, I'd be far more interested in this tour with another singer than I am with Anderson singing. But I'd really like to hear the band go deep into some of the trickiest material (much of which would come off great instrumentally, or is instrumental to begin with), and I'm not convinced that's what this tour is really about. I'd also love to hear them do what Yes did and cover some classic albums like SftW, Heavy Horses, maybe Minstrel. but I'm not going to sit through that with Ian singing.

So I'd definitely give a "Tull" tour more attention with another singer, but I don't need another "romp through the hits" show, regardless of who is singing.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    It would depend a lot on what he was touring.
    When Ian did his first solo tour in 1995 (with a band that was the then-current Tull lineup except for Chris Leslie on violin replacing Martin Barre), it was behind the all-instrumental Divinities album. What relatively little singing Ian did at those shows was mostly on a selection of softer Tull material--even "Aqualung" was reworked as a flute instrumental. It looked like he was going to address his vocal deficiencies by moving in a more instrumental direction, but then later that same year he popped up with a typically song-oriented Tull album and tour. His solo albums from the early 2000s had a few instrumentals but were mostly vocal, and then after the long fallow period with no new material he came back with TAAB2, which has lyrics up the wazoo. So again, he came up with a solution for the problem years ago, but it just doesn't seem to be what he wants to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    It would depend a lot on what he was touring. Since I'm a "Prog Years" Tull fan, I'd be far more interested in this tour with another singer than I am with Anderson singing. But I'd really like to hear the band go deep into some of the trickiest material (much of which would come off great instrumentally, or is instrumental to begin with), and I'm not convinced that's what this tour is really about. I'd also love to hear them do what Yes did and cover some classic albums like SftW, Heavy Horses, maybe Minstrel. but I'm not going to sit through that with Ian singing.

So I'd definitely give a "Tull" tour more attention with another singer, but I don't need another "romp through the hits" show, regardless of who is singing.

Bill
    Depends on the definition of hit. As the lead in paragraph stated:

The tour will concentrate on Jethro Tull’s earlier material from albums including Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung, Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play.

Anderson says: “Dusting off many older progressive songs amongst my earliest attempts to experiment outside the blues repertoire we began with has proved hugely enjoyable.

“Along the way, over the last 50 years, there have been a good few pieces that still strongly resonate with me today on either a musical or lyrical level. Hopefully both.

“Some are really tricky to play – some might sound that way but fall under the fingers quite naturally, although the overall arrangements require feats of memory! Test my marbles – come to the party!”

Anderson will be joined onstage by bassist David Goodier, keyboardist John O'Hara, guitarist Joe Parrish, who replaces Florian Ophale, and drummer Scott Hammond, while the shows will be enhanced by full scale video projection.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/jet...r-set-for-2020
    Art is parasitic on life, just as criticism is parasitic on art.
    Harry S Truman

Last I saw he's not taking the tour to the States.

I think that'd be great. But understandably, Ian may fear complaints that he isn't singing.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Jon has recovered and ain’t bad, but just not the vocalist I heard in the round in 1977.
    Bro, that was 43 years ago.

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

3rd times a charm, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Bro, that was 43 years ago.
    Yeah - I am pretty forgiving of most older vocalists as time does take its toll. JA has really recovered well and sings far better than I ever expected he would a decade or so ago. Most artists lose range and even when they are able to hit the notes, it doesn't have the same quality it had in their prime. Ian is just so far beyond that, and clearly acknowledged as much for a time, that it is much harder to handle in a concert setting.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Last I saw he's not taking the tour to the States.
    which is quite alright since i just bought tix to Martin Barre yesterday for an early fall tour, which by the way there was no "doubt", all was advertised with zero confusion (i too am really happy that Martin is his own boss).

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    which is quite alright since i just bought tix to Martin Barre yesterday for an early fall tour, which by the way there was no "doubt", all was advertised with zero confusion (i too am really happy that Martin is his own boss).
    Will be seeing Martin on the Blues Cruise in April, and again on LI in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    I was apprehensive about how many people were saying Martins band was so good until I saw them live. He puts on a great show and even though his singer seems to imitate Ianís characteristics on stage it didnít bother me and I really enjoyed it. I would go see them again in a heart beat.

Some people really don't mind if he shits this one out.

...even though his singer seems to imitate Ian’s characteristics on stage...
    That's unfortunate. I do't get it. It's like when Dweezil has a singer impersonating Frank. That's not needed.

his singer seems to imitate Ianís characteristics on stage
    I didn't find that at all - I thought he did a good job of honouring the songs but singing them his own way. And didn't stand on one leg even once

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    I didn't find that at all - I thought he did a good job of honouring the songs but singing them his own way. And didn't stand on one leg even once
    I do agree that he does a good job with the songs and he didnít stand on one leg once. to me he had Ianís mannerisms though. It didnít bother me at all though because he was really good.

I wonder if Paul Forrest and "The Jethro Tull Experience" have received friendly warnings from Ian? Paul even guested with Tull proper a few times. It all seems so silly most of the time IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That's unfortunate. I do't get it. It's like when Dweezil has a singer impersonating Frank. That's not needed.
    He only seems to mimic some of the facial ticks. He's not jumping about.