Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 87 of 87

Thread: Not a Troll Job

  1. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    And as to the origins of rap? The Last Poets were doing this in the late 1960s in New York.
    And before them, the Beats. Good point.

    What I'm saying here is that rap derives from a lot of things that many/most people who despise rap actually enjoy; it's the content that turns us off, but then we listen to death metal or Devil Doll (or ...), so who are we to complain about offensive content?
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

  2. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Here we go. Andrew Milne's "Dapp Theory" with rap/hip hop vocals. I love these guys!

    Monster musicians, playing rhythmically complex music, with zero attitude.
    That some good stuff. Thanks for introducing me to it!

    (Though I would never have expected to like a 2-minute harmonica solo.)
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

  3. #78
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    who are we to complain about offensive content?
    I actually enjoy the feck out of Body Count, Ice-T's rock band from the early 1990s. It has attitude coming out the gills.

  4. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    After watching, and enjoying "8 Mile," I actually made myself a compilation of Mathers' music. I'm embarrassed to admit this, because is it okay to like a white rap artist? But yeah, "Stan" and the whole Marshall Mathers album is pretty cool.
    I have to admit, I think I dislike Eminem even more than Kanye. Not just his abrasive public persona, which is bad enough, but I had experiences with people saying, “ordinarily I don’t like rap, but this is excellent and you have to hear it!” All I can say is, did we even listen to the same thing? This is execrable, and the complete opposite of what I am looking for when I want to listen to music.

    I have not, and never will, drink the Mathers Kool-Aid. He is a garbage human being who makes garbage “music.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

  5. #80
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    He is a garbage human being who makes garbage “music.”
    You are entitled to your opinion.

  6. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    And before them, the Beats. Good point.

    What I'm saying here is that rap derives from a lot of things that many/most people who despise rap actually enjoy; it's the content that turns us off, but then we listen to death metal or Devil Doll (or ...), so who are we to complain about offensive content?
    I assume when you say Devil Doll, you're talking about the Italian band, not the American punkabilly group, right?

    I don't like death metal, either. Never heard the Italian Devil Doll, but I kinda liked what I heard from the punkabilly band.

  7. #82
    Yes, I meant the Italian band; never heard of the American one.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

  8. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    For me it's not so much whether or not Kanye is a jerk. It's not even about his vanity. It's that to an incredible degree he's willfully ignorant of a lot of important things, and exerts that influence on his followers.

    To quote Chris Evans (the actor), who put it much better than I could:


    That's my biggest issue with Kanye.
    Yet he sampled King Crimson. My kids now know 21st Century Schizoid Man...and were proud that their world met mine, however briefly.

  9. #84
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    6,148
    Occasionally, my world meets my neighbor's dog's world when I'm walking around in that corner of my yard.

  10. #85
    Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Yet he sampled King Crimson.
    Sampling greatness doesn't make it yours.

  11. #86
    So...still not a fan of Kanye but...I'm rather enjoying the new Moor Mother. Sad that I missed her set @ Big Ears, actually...



    Her stuff is pretty all over the place, so no one song really nails it. The above is cool, I rather like this one too: https://youtu.be/r0Vgy1pO3Fk
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  12. #87
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    And before them, the Beats. Good point.

    What I'm saying here is that rap derives from a lot of things that many/most people who despise rap actually enjoy; it's the content that turns us off, but then we listen to death metal or Devil Doll (or ...), so who are we to complain about offensive content?
    But isn't that the way it is, all the time with everything everywhere? My compost is better than your compost. This is the part of the argument where the scary monsters live. We avoid it and don't want to talk about it and would rather not see it.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •