Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not a Troll Job

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Not a Troll Job

The new Kanye West album... 27 minutes long... "Jesus Is King" . Truly a great piece of work.
    I'm not religious in any way, so got nothing to do with that. It's a work of art, and Kanye is indeed a brilliant artist. I dare ya to check it out.

I made it nine seconds in.

When Kanye was on David Letterman's "My Next Guest Needs No Introduction," I found him to be the most vain, self-absorbed, uncurious, unintelligent man I'd ever seen.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I found him to be the most vain, self-absorbed, uncurious, unintelligent man I'd ever seen.
    This sums up my impression of Kanye as well. He may be talented for all I know, but I just cannot get past his persona (or maybe just who he actually is).

I'm still in amazement not just of his statement about being a "proud non-reader of books", but also that he thinks that's something to aspire to.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I made it nine seconds in.
    You've much more stamina than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    You've much more stamina than I do.
    I had it on mute.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 11-02-2019 at 04:31 PM.

When Kanye was on David Letterman's "My Next Guest Needs No Introduction," I found him to be the most vain, self-absorbed, uncurious, unintelligent man I'd ever seen.
    Actually, Kanye is a big fan of a person who fits the description you laid down.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Actually, Kanye is a big fan of a person who fits the description you laid down.
    As usual

I tried. I really did. But nope, this is not for me. I find it bewildering that it would be for anyone, to be honest, but it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round.

That's about as civil and respectful as I can be about it, so I'll leave it at that.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I think it's brilliant.....

I'm kidding. Iz no for me.

Nope. If this was Magma reincarnate I would not listen. He is a hideous human, so I do not care what he makes.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I gave it 5 minutes. Can't get with it.

I got to the point where he tried to rhyme composure and chauffeur. Vocal excrement.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

It doesn't all work for me but some parts of it are wicked.

Is it just me, or does the fact that the cover shows him POSED as Jesus make this offensive album much, much worse?

Is it just me, or does the fact that the cover shows him POSED as Jesus make this offensive album much, much worse?
    As has been made evident, with Kanye, it’s all about Kanye.

I tried.

This does not speak to me.

I do not get this guy. I have watched him perform on TV quite a few times and even tried with some of his music. I have younger people who work with me who think he is brilliant, but I don't get it at all.

Has your account been hacked Lino?
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Has your account been hacked Lino?

LOL, good one...!

What's next, Debbie Gibson's Greatest Hits?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does he always use autotune? Where I skipped to first I heard the line “You’re my Chik-fil-a.” Nuff said.

^^^
    That’s “Closed On Sunday.” I think the chik-fil-a reference is funny. But, I can’t say that I understand the meaning of some lyrics on these songs.
    I enjoy the bass synth on a couple of numbers.
    Incorporating a gospel choir runs the risk of being cliche, which is how this strikes me. I prefer the non-traditional gospel-ish numbers on here.
    I don’t know much about Kanye. He appears in the Spike Lee documentary about hurricane Katrina. I think the Jesus message is sincere. I reckon that, like with Dylan, this evangelizing will be relatively brief.

Yeah...

Sorry, but I'll have to go along with the majority here. I hear nothing even close to brilliant.

Simple and mundane harmonies, rhythms, melodies, progressions, etc, etc.

I've had people over the years try to get me into various forms of rap and hip hop, but I have the same problems with it all, it is all way too simplistic and banal, musically, for me.

I have no problems with some of the political and social messages in some rap and hip hop (not Kanye, though), but that is a separate issue from the standard by which I use to rate the quality of music.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Yeah...

Sorry, but I'll have to go along with the majority here. I hear nothing even close to brilliant.

Simple and mundane harmonies, rhythms, melodies, progressions, etc, etc.

I've had people over the years try to get me into various forms of rap and hip hop, but I have the same problems with it all, it is all way too simplistic and banal, musically, for me.

I have no problems with some of the political and social messages in some rap and hip hop (not Kanye, though), but that is a separate issue from the standard by which I use to rate the quality of music.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one. Just cannot stand anything rap/techno/hip hop/house or whatever. Never have and I'm old enough to have heard it in the early days and I never liked it then.

I never will. I don't understand noise that has no melody. I wish I could be more well rounded in my listening tastes but I just can't stomach crap that doesn't resemble music in the way that I understand music to be. I've also had many people over the years try and turn me onto whatever but it never works.

Do I get my street cred ruined because I somewhat dig Baby Shark? It's so stupid that it's like a MST3K movie. A train wreck that you just can't turn away from.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Rap and hip-hop democratized music, in a way. I mean, in the 1940s barbershop quartets could be sung by anybody with a voice and a good ear, but by the 1970s & 1980s most music you heard on the radio was huge productions, with thousands of dollars of instruments and expensive studios. There was a hierarchy, with songwriters and studio musicians and producers and arrangers and managers and engineers and distributors and retailers.... all getting paid before the music got to the listeners. It was a looong supply chain.

Punk shorted the chain by putting the music in the hands of producers (first) and ordinary listeners (next). But it still had to be recorded and pressed and released.

Rap was even more-so a street music. Anyone with a beat box -- or who could imitate a beatbox -- could stand on the corner and entertain. Most early rappers got their start on the streets or in clubs. They weren't "developed" by talent scouts, they weren't buying expensive instruments or renting studio time. They made their names creating their act in front of real people.

I dunno. The genre has certainly drifted very far away from this pure beginning, and now relies on a few over-used computer tools and techniques and sounds and lyrical content. People like Kanye and R. Kelly, in my terribly-uninformed opinion, have bastardized the form by turning it into just another assembly-line industry again, with cliché piled upon cliché and a never-ending parade of "protégés" to plug in into those fomulaic clichés...

But I'd be the first to admit I've heard very little of the genre. It's not my generation's soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    The new Kanye West album... 27 minutes long... "Jesus Is King" . Truly a great piece of work.
    I'm not religious in any way, so got nothing to do with that. It's a work of art, and Kanye is indeed a brilliant artist. I dare ya to check it out.
    I listened to the whole thing. It has its moments. Since you're framing the thread by calling it "a work of art" and "brilliant artist", I think even the more open-minded listener will still have to knock this down a few pegs. For me there was nothing groundbreaking. Kanye and his gaggle of co-writers and producers created a nice gospel/hip-hop/R&B pastiche, that is light on the rapping cliches, and definitely melodious, but also a bit cliche in the technique department. But this genre blending is nothing new. That said, only a few moments "hooked" me.

But thanks for posting. It's always great to be potentially turned on to something you were otherwise not familiar.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.