Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Not a Troll Job

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Here we go. Andrew Milne's "Dapp Theory" with rap/hip hop vocals. I love these guys!

Monster musicians, playing rhythmically complex music, with zero attitude.
    That some good stuff. Thanks for introducing me to it!

(Though I would never have expected to like a 2-minute harmonica solo.)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    who are we to complain about offensive content?
    I actually enjoy the feck out of Body Count, Ice-T's rock band from the early 1990s. It has attitude coming out the gills.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    After watching, and enjoying "8 Mile," I actually made myself a compilation of Mathers' music. I'm embarrassed to admit this, because is it okay to like a white rap artist? But yeah, "Stan" and the whole Marshall Mathers album is pretty cool.
    I have to admit, I think I dislike Eminem even more than Kanye. Not just his abrasive public persona, which is bad enough, but I had experiences with people saying, “ordinarily I don’t like rap, but this is excellent and you have to hear it!” All I can say is, did we even listen to the same thing? This is execrable, and the complete opposite of what I am looking for when I want to listen to music.

I have not, and never will, drink the Mathers Kool-Aid. He is a garbage human being who makes garbage “music.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    He is a garbage human being who makes garbage “music.”
    You are entitled to your opinion.

And before them, the Beats. Good point.

What I'm saying here is that rap derives from a lot of things that many/most people who despise rap actually enjoy; it's the content that turns us off, but then we listen to death metal or Devil Doll (or ...), so who are we to complain about offensive content?
    I assume when you say Devil Doll, you're talking about the Italian band, not the American punkabilly group, right?

I don't like death metal, either. Never heard the Italian Devil Doll, but I kinda liked what I heard from the punkabilly band.

Yes, I meant the Italian band; never heard of the American one.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    For me it's not so much whether or not Kanye is a jerk. It's not even about his vanity. It's that to an incredible degree he's willfully ignorant of a lot of important things, and exerts that influence on his followers.

To quote Chris Evans (the actor), who put it much better than I could:

That's my biggest issue with Kanye.
    Yet he sampled King Crimson. My kids now know 21st Century Schizoid Man...and were proud that their world met mine, however briefly.

Occasionally, my world meets my neighbor's dog's world when I'm walking around in that corner of my yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Yet he sampled King Crimson.
    Sampling greatness doesn't make it yours.

So...still not a fan of Kanye but...I'm rather enjoying the new Moor Mother. Sad that I missed her set @ Big Ears, actually...

Her stuff is pretty all over the place, so no one song really nails it. The above is cool, I rather like this one too: https://youtu.be/r0Vgy1pO3Fk
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

And before them, the Beats. Good point.

What I'm saying here is that rap derives from a lot of things that many/most people who despise rap actually enjoy; it's the content that turns us off, but then we listen to death metal or Devil Doll (or ...), so who are we to complain about offensive content?
    But isn't that the way it is, all the time with everything everywhere? My compost is better than your compost. This is the part of the argument where the scary monsters live. We avoid it and don't want to talk about it and would rather not see it.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Beato and friends touch on what we've been talking about in this thread (and of course, go off on tangents)

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Beato and friends touch on what we've been talking about in this thread (and of course, go off on tangents)
    I don’t need some dumb video to know what I already am.

arm-in-arm hiscock quay reaction.jpg
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I don't need small minded people telling me I'm a snob.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I remember when some younger coworkers (at one of my earlier jobs) were quite bemused, if not put off, at my interest in bands like Iced Earth, Mastodon and Opeth. Seems some young people don't want boomers in their wheelhouses.

I don't feel guilt if I don't like or appreciate a particular style of music.

Back in the 00s I worked at with a lot of twenty-somethings and folks into alt-rock. I soon found that the easiest way to bust their dismissal of "classic rock" was to hand them my copy of Kink Kronikles. Nothing like a string of perfectly constructed three minute rock songs to destroy their notion of nothing good coming out of the days before the new wave. It must have worked a half dozen times. I also had one coworker (who was a decent songwriter himself) who brought the Kronikles back to me with the demand, "please tell me this is a compilation, because there is no fucking way someone can write this many good songs in a row." Ah,good times.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I don't need small minded people telling me I'm a snob.
    Yep.

If only enjoying various genres of music that: requires high levels of musicianship, deep knowledge of theory, depth of emotion, improvisation skills, has complexity, etc, classifies me as a 'music snob', guilty as charged.

It is not my fault that I am bored by simple music, with mundane melodies, banal lyrics*, mediocre musicianship, etc.

*I don't even care about lyrics that much, but along with all the other things I don't like about hip-hop and rap (and pop, country, mainstream rock, for that matter), they just add one more reason.
    Last edited by simon moon; 11-24-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I am bored by simple music, with mundane melodies, mediocre musicianship, etc.
    And yet, that pretty much DEFINES Krautrock and we love Krautrock! Go figure.