Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw Big Big Train last night

Saw Big Big Train last night

Anyone else seen BBT on their mini UK tour? I am a long term fan but this was my first live experience of them and they were excellent.I have not been overly impressed with some of the stuff on the last few albums but the songs come across much better live. The set list focussed a lot on Grand Tour (not surprisingly) and there was nothing from before English Electric but they played a good selection from the recent albums. It was worth the ticket price just for East Coast Racer, the "she flies" section being one of the most thrilling things I have heard at a show for a while, and a special mention must go to Mr. Spawton and his foundation-shaking bass pedals!

^^^
    Sounds good, glad you enjoyed it. I would like to see them but they don't come anywhere near me.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Looking forward to Canadian/US dates being announced for Spring. Bucket list band for me

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Looking forward to Canadian/US dates being announced for Spring. Bucket list band for me
    Same

I’m going on Saturday to London and really looking forward to it, reports from around the UK have been positive throughout. I have looked at the setlist so no surprises for me, and a few real favourites are missing, but then they have a great deal of material to choose from. It will be great to catch up with so many friends and acquaintances, and I’m also going to enjoy he support act Sweet Billy Pilgrim, who have produced some truly excellent albums over recent years.

I have seen them on the tour, and I admit to being in the minority given the enthusiastic attendance, but I found it all a bit boring after half hour in. Unlike other bands from the past, who gave us epic music, i just find little in the music of BBT to hold my interest. Trouble is though, that as soon as anyone on their FB page, raises their head above the parapet and says anything against the band, you are summoned by the bells. That's why it is all nice there.

^ The real questions is, why would you hang out there if you find the band's music to be boring? Or anyone, for that matter?

Is that truly the real question?......Quite often throughout my life I have bought records that I have not gotten into until I have heard the music played live. And quite often we have clicked. Was hoping the same would happen. Nothing more sinister than that really.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Is that truly the real question?......Quite often throughout my life I have bought records that I have not gotten into until I have heard the music played live. And quite often we have clicked. Was hoping the same would happen. Nothing more sinister than that really.
    I'm talking about hanging out on Facebook groups of bands you don't like.

They are playing ROSfest!
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I'm talking about hanging out on Facebook groups of bands you don't like.
    I have friends on it, as in not just friends on the ether, but people I know in the real world. Just not taken myself off it yet.

I hope they come to the west coast, I'd love to see them, even though the set list is disappointing to me. I'd much much rather hear Brooklands than Wassail and Winkie, and would rather it wasn't 5 tracks from the new one. But 'East Coast Racer'!!! I'd see them for that song alone!

Yikes! If they come to Ottawa or Montréal I am most definitely in!
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Saw them last night in Birmingham. Was a superb show from them but if I'm honest, preferred the Kings Place and Cadogan shows due to the format....2 sets gives me time to decompress on all the notes. I sometimes wish bands would tour the album before the latest one (if that makes sense), I've not absorbed The Grand Tour enough yet. Still, my problems didn't detract from the pleasure of watching a band I love grow more and more into a live force. The songs that have been played each tour have grown and are a lot more bedded in. I really hope this is the start of more regular touring for them.

They've also announced the BluRay of the Cadogan Hall shows.

I saw there is a show on Dime from 10/29. The sound bytes sounded like a nice recording.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'd go see them if they came anywhere reasonably close, but tbh, if they toured the USA, I think they'd die a death.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. We have a million population but progressive act seldom come here, instead they play in Montreal, Toronto, and Quebec City. So, like Mo, I'd make a big effort to see BBT somewhere reasonably close, like in Montreal. when they tour.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

I am hoping to make it to ROSfest next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    They are playing ROSfest!
    I would travel almost anywhere in the eastern US to see BBT, or even the Midwest. I would build a vacation around the opportunity.

But I will never go to Florida again.

I think the setlist is fabulous. They can't play everything and the new album deserves the attention the band is giving it live - it's a genuine triumph of Modern Prog.

As for US dates, I am certain there will be a few. Why go through all the hassle to play RosFest and not book some other gigs?
    Prog's Not Dead

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I think the setlist is fabulous. They can't play everything and the new album deserves the attention the band is giving it live - it's a genuine triumph of Modern Prog.

As for US dates, I am certain there will be a few. Why go through all the hassle to play RosFest and not book some other gigs?
    Well, if you believe their website:

"Big Big Train will make our debut on US soil next year when we headline RoSfest 2020.
    We are delighted to be heading out to the States to play at Rosfest next year, We are looking forward to taking our music out into the wider world.
    More U.S. dates to come in due course."

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I would travel almost anywhere in the eastern US to see BBT, or even the Midwest. I would build a vacation around the opportunity.

But I will never go to Florida again.
    Seems like a curious statement. What is wrong with Florida? I don't live there, but have friends who do and have been there many times.

I thought there would be a few more posts about this tour. I saw the London show at the beautiful Hackney Empire last Saturday, and it was a triumph, they played wonderfully to a packed auditorium. I was a little dubious about the setlist on reading it but live it was tremendous, the new live eversion of Hedgerow with Rachel taking a lovely counterpoint vocal was uplifting. Ariel/Homesong came over as a new crowd favourite, up there with East Coast Racer for emotional punch.

Here’s a rather lovely picture after the finale....

E930C413-11A2-4BC8-8396-D3FBA1106810.jpg

I can’t seem to make it a decent t size, but it can be seen on their Facebook page if you are interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

^ The size rendered above is a thumbnail. Click on it if you want a bigger pic to open.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I'd much much rather hear Brooklands than Wassail and Winkie, and would rather it wasn't 5 tracks from the new one.
    Absolutely!!

I saw them in Halifax (West Yorkshire, UK) last week and they were good - but not a patch on the Cadogan Hall shows a while back.

Vocals were somewhat lost in the mix, which was a shame - it was a good night though...