Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw Big Big Train last night

Quote Originally Posted by wurz View Post
    Absolutely!!

I saw them in Halifax (West Yorkshire, UK) last week and they were good - but not a patch on the Cadogan Hall shows a while back.

Vocals were somewhat lost in the mix, which was a shame - it was a good night though...
    I saw them at Halifax as well. Thought they were ambitious in booking such a big venue but it was pretty busy happily.

For me, they were excellent but this was my first time seeing them in concert so I have nothing except live albums to compare the experience to. I was happy with set list. Ihe music was terrific, as expected (Hedgerows and The Florentine were my highlights) and the warmth between band and audience was a joy to behold.

One small thing: Dave Longdon owned the stage when he was actually performing but he seemed oddly nervous when talking to the crowd. Anyone else notice this?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ The size rendered above is a thumbnail. Click on it if you want a bigger pic to open.
    On my iPad it’s a small image still, whereas it was full screen when I attached it. Perhaps it’s just me!

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post

One small thing: Dave Longdon owned the stage when he was actually performing but he seemed oddly nervous when talking to the crowd. Anyone else notice this?
    I agree but I think that is typical of his general delivery - that said I didn't pick up much from his between song ramblings due to the poor sound (which may have been due to where I was sat (rear circle) having moved from my Row 3 Stalls seat that provided me a view of everything but the stage!)

Set lists will always be personal choice - I would have favoured a couple more from EE at the expense of a couple from the newbie, although The Florentine and Voyager were excellent.

At London he was quite talkative in between songs, I didn’t feel we was nervous. We had a few people shouting out, which was annoying, as David couldn’t hear what they were saying with his in ear monitors, and it was no doubt fatuous rubbish in any case. I think people feel some sort of entitlement to interject be abuse the band are so friendly face to face and online. It was only one or two people, didn’t really spoil a thing.

I agree but I think that is typical of his general delivery - that said I didn't pick up much from his between song ramblings due to the poor sound (which may have been due to where I was sat (rear circle) having moved from my Row 3 Stalls seat that provided me a view of everything but the stage!)

Set lists will always be personal choice - I would have favoured a couple more from EE at the expense of a couple from the newbie, although The Florentine and Voyager were excellent.
    I was row G in London but to the side and the speaker stacks obliterated my view on Rachel, Robin and Danny and the brass section. It’s much better when the speakers are suspended on high. The view took me back to the good old days!

I too would have loved a few EE favourites, but no quibbles, I even enjoyed Alive and that surprised me, but we were all on a high as the show opened. It was just great to catch up with so many friends that you walked in smiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Ariel/Homesong came over as a new crowd favourite, up there with East Coast Racer for emotion.
    It was Voyager/Homesong.

I agree about set lists. The band have enough material, these days, for several shows so they're bound to leave out some songs that are firm favourites with most of us.

Personally, I would have loved to have heard Judas Unrepentant, The Ivy Gate and A Mead Hall In Winter but, given how much I enjoyed the show, maybe not at the expense of what was played. Would have made for a very long night!

At London he was quite talkative in between songs, I didn’t feel we was nervous. We had a few people shouting out, which was annoying, as David couldn’t hear what they were saying with his in ear monitors, and it was no doubt fatuous rubbish in any case. I think people feel some sort of entitlement to interject be abuse the band are so friendly face to face and online. It was only one or two people, didn’t really spoil a thing.
    Some people really are arseholes, aren't they?

Happily, we were spared that sort of thing in Yorkshire. I was very impressed with how folks complied with the phone and camera moratorium too. Didn't spot anyone breaking it!

Some people really are arseholes, aren't they?

Happily, we were spared that sort of thing in Yorkshire. I was very impressed with how folks complied with the phone and camera moratorium too. Didn't spot anyone breaking it!
    It happened a couple of times in London but I'm not sure it was heckling. I understood it as fans trying to engage with him humourously between songs but I may be wrong as I couldn't catch what they were saying either.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    It happened a couple of times in London but I'm not sure it was heckling. I understood it as fans trying to engage with him humourously between songs but I may be wrong as I couldn't catch what they were saying either.
    It definitely wasn’t heckling, but is annoying that certain people think it’s their right to have a personal dialogue with the singer. As I said initially it’s probably because of their all round friendliness, but please just STFU and let us all enjoy our moment.

It definitely wasn’t heckling, but is annoying that certain people think it’s their right to have a personal dialogue with the singer. As I said initially it’s probably because of their all round friendliness, but please just STFU and let us all enjoy our moment.
    Right.

So tomorrow the new blu-ray comes out Reflectors of Light (2017 tour)

Folklore Overture
    Folklore
    Brave Captain
    Last Train
    London Plane
    Meadowland
    A Mead Hall in Winter
    Experimental Gentlemen (Part Two)
    Swan Hunter
    Judas Unrepentant
    The Transit of Venus Across the Sun
    East Coast Racer
    Telling the Bees
    Victorian Brickwork
    Drums and Brass
    Wassail

Bonus tracks

The Transit of Venus Across the Sun (with reprise)
    Summer's Lease (recorded live at Real World studios)

I just ordered it from Burning Shed - looks like a really nice setlist.

Does anyone know if their first blu-ray (any only other bd that I can see) Stone & Steel is available anywhere? I can't find it anywhere.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks! Ordered.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post

Folklore Overture
    Folklore
    Brave Captain
    Last Train
    London Plane
    Meadowland
    A Mead Hall in Winter
    Experimental Gentlemen (Part Two)
    Swan Hunter
    Judas Unrepentant
    The Transit of Venus Across the Sun
    East Coast Racer
    Telling the Bees
    Victorian Brickwork
    Drums and Brass
    Wassail

Bonus tracks

The Transit of Venus Across the Sun (with reprise)
    Summer's Lease (recorded live at Real World studios)

Does anyone know if their first blu-ray (any only other bd that I can see) Stone & Steel is available anywhere? I can't find it anywhere.
    It's the same setlist as the Merchants of Light live album. It all depends on whether you want the video content or not.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post

It's available on amazon uk and ca at a high price. They had an issue with a blu-ray that wasn't playing in all players, so they did not make another batch.

They are also releasing it as a download on vimeo.