Thread: Bill Bruford on His Ups and Downs With Yes and King Crimson, Life After Retirement

Bill Bruford on His Ups and Downs With Yes and King Crimson, Life After Retirement

Ten years into his post-drumming life, the percussion legend reflects on playing with British prog’s holy trinity, making the jump to jazz with Earthworks, and more.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...erview-902501/

LOVE his response to the HOF question:

Was getting into the Hall of Fame with Yes a big deal for you?

That’s a good question. Well, not really as much as I probably made it out to be to the owners and people who run the Hall of Fame who need constant reinforcement that their show is the best show on Earth and that we’re all lining up to be in the Hall of Fame [laughs]. I was thrilled to be included and it was a lovely acknowledgement and I took the evening for what it was. The statuette is probably in my bathroom somewhere — I’m not very big on trophy rooms and things. So I’m just not good at prizes, really. To have your work acknowledged by Max Roach or somebody is probably worth more than a Hall of Fame statuette, but hey, I’m happy to go along with it. I’m not the curmudgeon who just can’t stand the idea of being invited or who just complains all the time about not being invited. I’m easy on it.

Nice shout out to District 97 in the article!

The eons are closing
    Thnx for posting
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Excellent. Loved it!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I liked this bit:

"It was pretty shocking to read in your autobiography that when you left Yes, you had to give away half your royalties for Close to the Edge to their new drummer, Alan White.
    Yeah. Well, I was advised to. “That would be nice,” said the manager, and so I did. And Alan — who’s a great friend of mine, and was wonderful — after about 40 years, I said to him, “Alan, we’ve had a good exchange here: I made the record, and you fantastically went around the world playing it and keeping the record alive, but I gave you half the royalties. So how ’bout we call it quits, and I have my other half of the royalties back? ‘Cause you know, it’s been a good bargain for both of us.” And he was a real gentleman; he said, “Sure, here’s your half of the record back.”
    Oh, that’s great.
    Isn’t that a lovely story?"
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    ctrl-f towner on that page and the 12 career highlights page = 0

I thought that was a great album, sad to see it overlooked.

Good interview - thanx.