Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pendragon - Love Over Fear 2020

Pendragon - Love Over Fear 2020

Many Pendragon fans here? Just had this e mail as follows:

Pendragon will release a new studio album early 2020. The album is called Love Over Fear and takes the whole sound and way of listening to music back to a time when the emphasis was on strong melodies, dreamlike atmospheres and actual singable songs. Music that takes what used to be called 'a good listen!'

The idea has been to rebel against the throwaway culture and instant gratification of the Spotifys of this world and create an actual thing with proper artwork that you can browse through by way of a hardback book nearly the size of a vinyl album sleeve and an album that contains 65 minutes of uplifting and melodic music . Something you can get lost in....damn it - something beautiful again!

Love Over Fear, the special edition hardback book will come out at the beginning of Feb 2020 which, like the First 40 Years release will be a 285mm x 285mm hardback book containing 3 cds which will comprise the main album plus an acoustic version of the album with orchestral and extended sections, plus an instrumental CD version. The digi-pack and vinyl release will follow a couple of weeks later.

Pre-Order for this special edition plus the basic version digi-pack (one CD, limited artwork) and the vinyl (gatefold sleeve) will start via the Pendragon website on December 1st.

Also on December 1st we will release the new artwork, a teaser video and some new merch items in time for Christmas!

The music on Love Over Fear, says guitarist/vocalist/writer Nick Barrett - 'has all the hallmarks of mid 90's Pendragon, I've used the Paintbox, Breaking The Spell style of format in the arrangements and wanted to go back to meaningful guitar solos and use sounds similar to albums that I loved in the 70's, so there are tons of 12 string guitar sections, mellotron strings and very melodic keyboard parts. But also something very new for Pendragon, a couple of what I feel are the best vocal performances I have ever done on two emotive piano/vocal songs called Starfish And The Moon and Whirlwind. There is also a rough and tumble traditional Irish type rock song called 360 Degrees which was inspired by moving to Cornwall, it's very Celtic and has Zoe Devenish on fiddle, I can see it becoming our new Nostradamus!

The album was recorded at Thin Ice in Surrey and Sharlands Barn in Cornwall and produced by Nick Barrett and Karl Groom.

The incredible artwork for Love Over Fear was actually painted with real paints by a real artist called Liz Saddington........none of yer photoshop here! Liz, a local girl from Cornwall has worked closely with Nick Barrett on the concepts for Love Over Fear and spent over a year and a half putting together a stunning cover and refining every single detail till perfection was reached. There are also painted illustrations for each song in the special edition book/3 cd set and an array of stunning photos.

The band are doing a 35 date tour across the world, including Europe, Canada, South America (TBC) and will perform at Cruise To The Edge in March 2020. Pendragon plan to play all of Love Over Fear on this tour.

Love Over Fear -Track Listing
    Everything 5.58
    Starfish And The Moon 3.26
    Truth And Lies 8.21
    360 Degrees 5.34
    Soul And The Sea 5.23
    Eternal Light 8.09
    Water 8.55
    Whirlwind 5.08
    Who Really Are We? 8.38
    Afraid Of Everything 5.30
    Total running time (approx) - 65-03

I'm in. However, I'd rather see them develop themes like on Pure... inclusions of rap-ish parts etc. Anyway, should be interesting. Instrumental version - that is something new! Maybe a hi-res download too?

This sounds interesting. I may be dipping my toes in the Pendragon waters for the first time since Masquerade Overture. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks. No brainer for me.

It does sound promising. Although of course Nick is in 'selling' mode, it could be the return to form I've been waiting years for.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My limited edition preorder came a few days ago. Beautiful, and the album is easily one of their best. Word is that the acoustic version is good.

So they will play the complete Love over fear on the first set and for the remainder I hope will be like the songs on the new Box Set of 40 years CDs 1-3 because I am going to see PENDRAGON for the FIRST time on May 9th in Quebec City, Canada!!

Can't wait!
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Mine arrived Saturday. Beautiful package, and first listen is extremely encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    So they will play the complete Love over fear on the first set and for the remainder I hope will be like the songs on the new Box Set of 40 years CDs 1-3 because I am going to see PENDRAGON for the FIRST time on May 9th in Quebec City, Canada!!

Can't wait!
    Hoping to catch them on CCTE. I have also never seen them before.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Hoping to catch them on CCTE. I have also never seen them before.
    They were absolutely fantastic last CTTE. Both sets, including the infamous 2:30 am set the first night after the fog delayed departure. We’ll definitely catch them again- hopefully twice.

For those who have listened to it, how does Love Over Fear compare musically to other Pendragon albums? Is it like Men Who Climb Mountains or did they go back to stuff like Masquerade Overture and Window of Life?

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    For those who have listened to it, how does Love Over Fear compare musically to other Pendragon albums? Is it like Men Who Climb Mountains or did they go back to stuff like Masquerade Overture and Window of Life?
    From the clips I heard it was more of a return to the Masquerade Overture sound.

I'm on the fence here. I connect with some albums, depending on how the melodies click. Of the old albums I enjoyed The World and Not Of This World, but not so much Window Of Life or Masquerade Overture. When the sound changed, I loved Pure and then strongly disliked Passion.
    To my ears, there is a cheesy aspect in the singing and the lyrics that is sometimes transcended by gorgeous melodies, and sometimes not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    The sound and feel of the album is a return to late 90’s and early 00’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I'm on the fence here. I connect with some albums, depending on how the melodies click. Of the old albums I enjoyed The World and Not Of This World, but not so much Window Of Life or Masquerade Overture. When the sound changed, I loved Pure and then strongly disliked Passion.
    To my ears, there is a cheesy aspect in the singing and the lyrics that is sometimes transcended by gorgeous melodies, and sometimes not.
    I'm the other way around. I mostly liked Passion but disliked Pure (except for "It's Only Me"). But I completely agree about the cheese aspect to them. That's exactly how I feel about them. But they really do have some gorgeous melodies. A prime example of this is "The Green and Pleasant Land" for me. I really love it for the music despite the lyrics (though I usually turn off that final 4 minutes of it).

After a few more listens:

- Definitely closer to The World and WoL. (I’m not to keen on Pure and Passion.) But IMO this is their best, most mature album, while still being sort of uplifting.

- I’ve only given the acoustic version one listen, and not yet listened to the instrumental version, but people are saying even the instrumental version is different, and a good listen.

- It’s really well recorded, well played, etc. A quality job!

Just listened to Lover Over Fear about nine times over the last day. I really, really enjoy it. Feels more serious than a lot of the Pendragon I've listened to in the past. The only real stinker on the album is "360 Degrees" which sounds like a Train or Imagine Dragons song. Other than that, the other songs feel like they've been offering more and more each listen. I guess I should mention that I've only listened to Disc One. I may listen to Disc Three: Instrumental if I want some good background music at some point. But I can't see myself listening to Disc Two: Acoustic unless someone recommends some tracks from it.

I'd like to put in a good word for, Men Who Climb Mountains and Pure. Passion did nothing for me.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I'd like to put in a good word for, Men Who Climb Mountains and Pure. Passion did nothing for me.
    I thought Passion was genius, a fantastic mix of classic Pendragon with that harder edge of, say, Pure.

This new one, though, which is on the headphones as I type this on the train home, is simply fantastic. Some exceptionally emotional music.

Orcopian
    Did you pre-order a while ago? I pre-ordered in early January and am still waiting for the 3 cd set. It seems like it’s been delivered all over the world in the last 2 weeks, but not to me and I’m like only 60 miles away from where they are sent from.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Master View Post
    Just listened to Lover Over Fear about nine times over the last day. I really, really enjoy it. Feels more serious than a lot of the Pendragon I've listened to in the past. The only real stinker on the album is "360 Degrees" which sounds like a Train or Imagine Dragons song. Other than that, the other songs feel like they've been offering more and more each listen. I guess I should mention that I've only listened to Disc One. I may listen to Disc Three: Instrumental if I want some good background music at some point. But I can't see myself listening to Disc Two: Acoustic unless someone recommends some tracks from it.
    The Acoustic and Instrumental disks have somewhat different song selections and orders, so they’re pretty different.

Orcopian
    [QUOTE=lazland;955200]I thought Passion was genius, a fantastic mix of classic Pendragon with that harder edge of, say, Pure.

This new one, though, which is on the headphones as I type this on the train home, is simply fantastic. Some exceptionally emotional music

Did you pre-order a while ago? I pre-ordered in early January and am still waiting for the 3 cd set. It seems like it’s been delivered all over the world in the last 2 weeks, but not to me and I’m like only 60 miles away from where they are sent from.

Have you tried contacting The Merch Desk? They should be able to help. I think those all had tracking numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcopian View Post
    I didn't order the 3CD, but my single CD edition has not arrived yet.

Orcopian
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Have you tried contacting The Merch Desk? They should be able to help. I think those all had tracking numbers.
    They have said not to contact them until a ‘reasonable’ time after the release date, which was officially 1st Feb for the 3 cd version. But before that they had said all pre orders had been sent up to 27th jan. They chop up their supply chain and say it’s not us, it’s down to the Royal Mail now.

So it’s a bit vague as to what is a reasonable time. I didn’t pay the extra £1.50 for tracking as I never normally have a problem with merch desk deliveries. Lesson learnt. I’m trying to gauge what is reasonable, I guess if it was sent on the 27th then if It hasn’t arrived by Saturday that would be a reasonable time.

This week I’ve gone from being chilled about it to mildly frustrated as everyone else seems to have their deluxe editions.