Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pendragon - Love Over Fear 2020

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The same with the NJ shows. I was heartbroken but at least somewhat prepared for it. Now I'm worrying about Progday instead.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Really enjoying this album!

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Really enjoying this album!
    I have listened to it many, many times now. It just gets better and better. A joy of an album.

I've been listening to Love Over Fear a lot during the shutter at home. It's very uplifting and much needed. I was never a big fan before but thanks to the thread I checked out the new one. Thanks all for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    I have listened to it many, many times now. It just gets better and better. A joy of an album.
    Agreed - I liked it a ton right out of the gate, but it gets even better with more spins.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    My wife didn't even demand taking it off even after her usual complaint of "derivitive".. she (aptly)applies this term to most neo she hears but doesn't protest!

I'd say it is their best work. It's great to have a new album that I really enjoy more and more every time I play it. I now realise how few new releases make me feel like that these days.

I am enjoying this album a lot. Pendragon for me has been a mixed lot. Yes it has often been derivative and occasionally very annoying vocals and lately the albums have been too heavy for my taste. This album however seems a return to their roots. Who says old guys can't make great music! Especially the song 360 degrees! I love it.

Pendragon, Marillion, IQ , Pallas and Twelfth Night were my introduction to prog in the eighties. Together with Marillion, Pendragon was the band that toured the most so I saw them Live a lot of times in these years. In Later years my musical preferences changed and I stopped following Pendragon.

Recently I read that Nick Barret was severly hurt by the current crises. A big loan to finance the album and tour. A bit in support to the band I used to like a lot i decided to buy the album.
    And guess what? My wife loves it! She even puts the Cd on while working and I got comments like "why dont you play this band more often instead of that headache stuff?" ( I think she means Cardiacs). So I even got some older albums on BC.

I think the new one is probably a fine album albeit not really my taste anymore. What I do like is that it is mainly a guitar album so my usual Clive Nolan allergy is not playing up much. I still enjoy Nick Barrets soulful playing. Somewhere in between David Gilmour and Andy Latimer.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Pendragon, Marillion, IQ , Pallas and Twelfth Night were my introduction to prog in the eighties. Together with Marillion, Pendragon was the band that toured the most so I saw them Live a lot of times in these years. In Later years my musical preferences changed and I stopped following Pendragon.

Recently I read that Nick Barret was severly hurt by the current crises. A big loan to finance the album and tour. A bit in support to the band I used to like a lot i decided to buy the album.
    And guess what? My wife loves it! She even puts the Cd on while working and I got comments like "why dont you play this band more often instead of that headache stuff?" ( I think she means Cardiacs). So I even got some older albums on BC.

I think the new one is probably a fine album albeit not really my taste anymore. What I do like is that it is mainly a guitar album so my usual Clive Nolan allergy is not playing up much. I still enjoy Nick Barrets soulful playing. Somewhere in between David Gilmour and Andy Latimer.
    I agree with your wife!

I'm sure Nick's taking a hit because of the cancellations, but I think overall 2019 and 2020 will have been a big boost for the band.

Quote Originally Posted by Yestor View Post
    Especially the song 360 degrees! I love it.
    To each his own. I think this track is absolutely terrible. Such a mainstreamy, Train/Imagine Dragons-sounding dud. Removing it from the album makes it a ten from me.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm sure Nick's taking a hit because of the cancellations, but I think overall 2019 and 2020 will have been a big boost for the band.
    Do not overestimate album sales anno 2020. I understood most money had to come from the tour. They had quite an expansive european tour planned with many sold out dates.

Unfortunately, Nick will continue getting hit by cancellations in 2022 as well. The Pendragon tour 2022 has been cancelled altogether, very sad and disappointing for the band and fans.

I had my tickets for the Quebec City show but now will have to wait for next time (?) The refunds well, that's another story with the Quebec promoter JLC who is not very transparent and honorable and has had legal problems in the past when they were removed from an online ticket service. I never got reimbursed for a cancelled Saga meet & greet :-(

^ Damn, that SUCKS! Maybe I already had heard they'd cancelled being on Cruise to the Edge. I was surprised by some of the 2022 cancellations! They just made wearing masks in schools optional as of yesterday in our school system, but the numbers of infections are very low here.

They have a new mini album coming this year, hopefully they'll add some new dates for that whenever it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    They have a new mini album coming this year, hopefully they'll add some new dates for that whenever it comes out.
    Did they announce this on the FB page? I don't think I'd heard that. Cool!

Nick announced the cancellation of 2022 gigs in January. At the time, there were still restrictions in the UK, and those in Wales and Scotland far more than in England. He took the decision because nobody could guarantee that the restrictions would be lifted in the near future, even though we knew it was likely, and he could not afford to take the chance that if the tour went ahead, and someone either caught COVID and the entire crew would need to self isolate (which is still the case here in Wales), or dates had to be cancelled, the band simply could not get insurance.

Pendragon, of course, do not have the fan sponsored insurance pull that Marillion have.

I was gutted, because I was due to see them in Winters End festival, although the organisers are planning to have them in 2023. I do, however, fully respect the decision. A tour cancellation after everything had been paid for and planned would have been financially ruinous.

Did they announce this on the FB page? I don't think I'd heard that. Cool!
    I saw it on a Youtube video from Nick which I now cannot find!

Right on. As Nick puts it so eloquently "how can we afford to pay 1500 pounds daily for bus rental if we are not making a single penny". And they are not Marillion in the sense of financial support from the fans.

And even if this announcement dates back to January, the global pandemic health and economic conditions have not changed dramatically since then. Consider that those conditions are not equally the same when you have to travel to many countries in separate continents. Not even here in Canada, the rules vary from province to province. That applies to the States as well.

There are too many variables but on the bright side, there have been medical improvements and less mortality. Let's hope we'll be in a better world in 2023 to enjoy the music we love and admire.

Oh, now I remember the EP!

There's a new blue double vinyl of the acoustic Love Over Fear album available now!

https://themerchdesk.com/shop/Pendra...c_Double_vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    There's a new blue double vinyl of the acoustic Love Over Fear album available now!

https://themerchdesk.com/shop/Pendra...c_Double_vinyl
    Nice! Love Over Fear remains one of my favorite releases in recent years.