Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portable Bluetooth/Wired Speakers

Thanks for the tip. The mini rigs look like they are worth a little more, and are a cut above most brands

Mike

Banned
    Not so portable, but nevertheless on a trip to Amsterdam where it was vital to have great quality music I brought along Audio Engine 5 blue tooth self-powered speakers and they worked like a charm. As I recall I used the foam packing material they were delivered in. I had a little trouble at the airport, but other than that it worked like a charm and these are excellent speakers that rocked the house (actually it was a boat we rented for the week). It will blow the crap listed above out of the water. They sound great! I use them in my office to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Yay!
    I am pleased that they look like a good fit, John.
    Methinks you will love them!

The 2.2 set-up is a thing of wonder. Very, very impressive.
    Actually, you sold me. I just bought two subwoofers from a MINIRIG reseller today...can’t wait for it all to arrive! It means we’ll have kickass sound in every room of our two-bedroom condo...not to mention worn one or both of us travel. The 2.2 setup will really be great to have in Ireland, especially

Thanks again for a great tip!
    Last edited by jkelman; 11-16-2019 at 01:01 PM. Reason: .
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I can’t find the right thread for this, but rcarlberg, you said you use a Bluetooth receiver connected to your stereo - may I ask what kind? Is it one of the pretty inexpensive ones, or do you use something more high-end if that even exists. Maybe it’d be unnecessary.

Received my MINIRIG 3s the other day (waiting on the subs). LOVE them, separately and, more, together. I don't really know if I'll need more bass but will use the lower volume connection to do it.

Only drag is, it appears, that you cannot connect two MINIRIG 3 with two subs and connect to it via Aux. So, I'm using the bluetooth feature of my Cayin n5iis, and bought a small bluetooth transmitter so my wife can send music from her non-bluetooth OPUS #1S. I'm not sure of the capability of her transmitter to send high resolution, but it still sounds pretty darn fine.
    John Kelman

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Received my MINIRIG 3s the other day (waiting on the subs). LOVE them, separately and, more, together. I don't really know if I'll need more bass but will use the lower volume connection to do it.

Only drag is, it appears, that you cannot connect two MINIRIG 3 with two subs and connect to it via Aux. So, I'm using the bluetooth feature of my Cayin n5iis, and bought a small bluetooth transmitter so my wife can send music from her non-bluetooth OPUS #1S. I'm not sure of the capability of her transmitter to send high resolution, but it still sounds pretty darn fine.
    I am not sure I understand. Are you saying you want to use a wired connection from an AUX OUT of a device to a 2.2 system? If so, it is absolutely doable. You just need the proprietary stereo cable from Mini Rig. That connects from AUX OUT to the two ins of the subs and then one uses a standard stereo mini lug (supplied with your MR 3’s) to connect each speaker to its respective sub. Easy peasy and KILLER sound. (I use wired connections anytime I can for the better fidelity.)

Please let me know if I misunderstood.

I played around with some bluetooth speakers at Bestbuy today. Damn they're expensive. Passola!

I bought 2 MR and a subwoofer

Great sound!

Still having a few problems trying to pair the speakers in stereo every time it turns on but definitely the Fidelity is improved from my previous Bluetooth speakers and even better when they are wired

Tech-support was helpful also

I am not sure I understand. Are you saying you want to use a wired connection from an AUX OUT of a device to a 2.2 system? If so, it is absolutely doable. You just need the proprietary stereo cable from Mini Rig. That connects from AUX OUT to the two ins of the subs and then one uses a standard stereo mini lug (supplied with your MR 3’s) to connect each speaker to its respective sub. Easy peasy and KILLER sound. (I use wired connections anytime I can for the better fidelity.)

Please let me know if I misunderstood.
    I saw nothing about a special cable in the guide, so thanks a lot! I’ll check MINIRIG’s site.

Just to be clear, is it the “ 4 Pole Stereo Splitter Cable” on this page?

Please confirm and I’ll buy it, with thanks!
    J
    John Kelman

I saw nothing about a special cable in the guide, so thanks a lot! I’ll check MINIRIG’s site.

Just to be clear, is it the “ 4 Pole Stereo Splitter Cable” on this page?

Please confirm and I’ll buy it, with thanks!
    J
    Yeppers, that is the cable.
    When you buy a 2.1 system directly from them they include it free.

Again, that cable plugs into your device's AUX OUT and plugs into each of the subs. Then, one of the standard cables (supplied with each small speaker) goes from the left sub to the small left speaker; the other goes from right sub to small right speaker.

The slightly confusing thing is that depending on whether you are doing a 2.0, 2.1, or 2.2 system, the cabling is different.

The slightly confusing thing is that depending on whether you are doing a 2.0, 2.1, or 2.2 system, the cabling is different.
    2.0 is stereo, yeah.

2.1 is stereo with a single subwoofer?

2.2 is stereo with two subwoofers?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    2.0 is stereo, yeah.

I guess. THat's exactly what my Tetra 333s are: the 222 tops go from 45 - 20,000 Hz, while the 111s, considered subs, go from 25 (-5 dB) - 120 Hz. I have my OPPO UDP-205 crossing over at 55Hz. They're not like boombox subs, adding a shitload of bass; instead, they just warm the room up. When I was demoing them at Adrian Butts' place, I'd been thinking 2x222s and 1x111, so we tried listening to the 222s on their own, adding one 111, and then adding a second.

The difference was subtle but, nevertheless, substantial. So I went for the 333 stack and the rest, as they say....
    John Kelman

Yeppers, that is the cable.
    When you buy a 2.1 system directly from them they include it free.

Again, that cable plugs into your device's AUX OUT and plugs into each of the subs. Then, one of the standard cables (supplied with each small speaker) goes from the left sub to the small left speaker; the other goes from right sub to small right speaker.

Thanks. I bought the MINIRIG 3s from a third party as they were much cheaper....even with MINIRIG's discount on bundled systems.

Anyway, thanks; I'll order that cable.
    Cheers!
    J
    PS: we brought the MINIRIG 3s to Montreal as we were there from Monday 'til this afternoon, to see countertenor Philippe Jaroussky (tremendous; can't say I felt the same about the soprano who was there from Boston, along with the superb Baroque ensemble, sadly), and they were great. It's gonna be a great set up for Ireland, and we'll be going wired all the way.
    John Kelman

Thanks. I bought the MINIRIG 3s from a third party as they were much cheaper....even with MINIRIG's discount on bundled systems.

Anyway, thanks; I'll order that cable.
    Cheers!
    J
    PS: we brought the MINIRIG 3s to Montreal as we were there from Monday 'til this afternoon, to see countertenor Philippe Jaroussky (tremendous; can't say I felt the same about the soprano who was there from Boston, along with the superb Baroque ensemble, sadly), and they were great. It's gonna be a great set up for Ireland, and we'll be going wired all the way.
    Sounds like a great trip! Good on ya.
    I am pleased the Mini Rigs are working out.

I love mine.
    Even their first gen speakers are superb (I still have that set). Of course the III's are amazing and I am so glad I upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    2.0 is stereo, yeah.

Yes. All correct.

I had never considered a 2.2 system but one of the well-known video reviewers of Mini Rig stuff talked about it and explained how it is the way to get a really accurate, full-stereo, portable system.
    (The usual gospel is "Bass cannot be localized" but that isn't strictly true, especially at the mid-bass frequencies that these small subs supply. The 2.2 presents a fair more realistic stereo (and robust) stereo image than 2.1)

I was a believer once i bought a second sub, connected it, and spread the pair out. It is a bit overkill in some ways, is spendy, but oh my goodness does it rock the joint.

Here is one of those reviews
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_my_4qupXf4

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I picked up a a pair of Soundcore Motion Plus for $89 each. Best BT speakers I've ever heard. No, they probably aren't in the same class as the Minirigs, but they aren't nearly as expensive either.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I picked up a a pair of Soundcore Motion Plus for $89 each. Best BT speakers I've ever heard. No, they probably aren't in the same class as the Minirigs, but they aren't nearly as expensive either.
    As someone that has tried a bunch, I absolutely understand that there is a time and a place for less-expensive speakers. I keep several different sizes around so i can grab whatever is best for any given situation (in the back yard, on the MTN bike, etc.)

I tend to be a purist and opt for wired over BT but again, the simple nature of a small BT speaker is fine for many situations.

On the other hand, I have been using my 2.2 Minirig system on some trips recently and I still am so impressed.

I have a JBL I never use, but it has good clear sound. I have the Bose S1 for busking, which I just tried the bluetooth with MP3's and it worked and sounded great. I understand some not caring for the Bose sound. but quite honestly, having music playing around the house is a different thing from really listening.

I own an Oontz Angle 3. It sounds ok for its price, but is placement dependent, i.e. needs to be on a resonant surface for acceptable bass.

I've owned a UE Megaboom for a few years and it sounds very good but the battery life sucks. It boasts 20 hours of playback on a charge but it usually peters out after 3. And even after a full charge it drains just sitting still. It's why I moved on to other brands

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Not so portable, Audio Engine 5 blue tooth self-powered speakers
    I've heard those and a set of Edifiers (for much cheaper) and yes, they sound great as long as you have an AC power source. So as long as one insists on a wired connection you may as well do a set of these.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I have an OONTZ Angle 3, great for listening to streaming radio while I'm in the shower. We bought a new couch a while back and the store was throwing in a JBL Flip 5 with orders over a certain amount, and I expected it to be junk but it's astonishingly good for its size. The only thing I'd change about it would have been to include a wired input, but I guess that would have detracted from it being waterproof.