Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FUNK of the 21st century

FUNK of the 21st century

This thread is for the progfans who also like Funk music.
    If you have decided that you do not like Funk music, then why did you open this thread?

Specifically, us progfans who love Funk music are very familiar with all the great artists of the 70s and the handful of artists that made some great music in the 80s and 90s... but what about today... what are your favorite Funk bands from the past 20 years?

Not specifically *only* proggy artists like Snarky Puppy, Calibro 35 or Funky Knuckles, though if there's more stuff like that please cite it!

But what about artists that are more straight up Funk like James Brown, Meters, Dazz Band, Commodores type stuff?

Tell us what you've found recently...
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I wouldn't really call them funk as such - their musical stew contains funk and jazz, but Afrobeat and South American styles are more prominent ingredients - nevertheless anyone who likes Calibro 35 should hear Bixiga 70:

“your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Theon Cross laying down some hard-grooving tuba basslines:

He does the same as part of the mighty Sons of Kemet, also eminently worth checking out.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

The quintessence of funk.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post

The quintessence of funk.
    weren't they an 80s band?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    weren't they an 80s band?
    They're still around; they did a Tiny Desk broadcast not all that long ago:

They're a DC institution, thus the Tiny Desk appearance - Tiny Desk broadcasts out of DC. Even if any national craze for go-go evaporated in the larger market, I'm sure they still play lots of club dates locally. And there's certainly enough money around there to pay a 15-or-whatever-piece band for private parties, corporate events, etc.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:19 PM.

I've posted this before, but it features three musicians from Magma, two past (the Deats) and one current, Isabelle Feuillebois. Playing hardcore funk.

It's fun, the best combo of funk and prog.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    but what about today... what are your favorite Funk bands from the past 20 years? Tell us what you've found recently...
    Everything that purports to be "funk" in the past twenty years, in my somewhat limited exposure, has been torpedoed by one of two elements:
    • Recreating funk from the '70s, which is "nostalgia" not funk (viz. Bamboo)
    • You cannot do funk, I'm sorry but you cannot, with programmed drums

How about that Bruno Mars fella?
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Said literally no-one, ever (as my no longer teenage kids might have said).

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Uptown Funk is a vicious groove... but of course, he lifted it from The Gap Band

I haven't heard much else from him. Could you post some of his Funk tunes here?

Big fan of Afroskull's Monster for the Masses - some wicked grooves on it. Came out on the early 00's - there's at least one more that's been on my list to get for long but haven't picked it up yet.

Not quite the 21st century, but I do adore the first 5ive Style album. Some of it is post-rocky, but the funk parts are true funk.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...TojtauJieLJOQE

But as for modern stuff - holy crap I also adore D'Angelo's "Black Messiah" album. That is funky and brain-warping at the same time. The way the band feels time is *truly progressive*.

- Matt

I don't know a lot of funk, but I do enjoy 102% by The New Mastersounds:

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Big fan of Afroskull's Monster for the Masses - some wicked grooves on it. Came out on the early 00's - there's at least one more that's been on my list to get for long but haven't picked it up yet.
    I have this and agree, it is some really grooving propulsive music.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Ever hear of The Motet from Denver? Their 2014 release is excellent throwback.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

One of Roy Hargrove's (RIP) projects was RH Factor, which mixed funk, R&B, and jazz. Distractions is quite tasty.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

heh... workin that classic TOP vibe
    I dig it!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Ever hear of The Motet from Denver? Their 2014 release is excellent throwback.

Rage Against The Machine is pretty funky, this 2007 instrumental cover of Killing is even funkier

On the more pop end I've been playing Brand New Heavies album from a few years ago Sweet Freaks - definitely channeling a (late) 70's vibe but some great catchy stuff on it.

Voodoo Visionary - really not bad:

that was one helluva Guitar solo!

I bet he knows every lick by David Gilmour and Eddie Hazel as well as others

real good!

Smashing killer funk of 21 century:

Quote Originally Posted by andreynovox View Post
    Voodoo Visionary - really not bad.
    No, they aren't bad at all, although I'd say they were more some kind of jazz-rock than funk. Their music's more about jazzy chords and melodies than a big danceable beat and righteous blues licks. Or at least this tune struck me that way.