Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karl Jenkins & Mike Ratledge

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar

I enjoy this stuff in a totally kitschy way. Voiceprint put out at least one if not two volumes of KJ & MR on CD maybe 10 years ago? It was all the post-SM library music. I believe I bought one of these and remember finding it fun but I can't find it anywhere now!

https://www.discogs.com/Soft-Machine...release/831635

Haven't heard it. By most accounts it was far from essential.

I've had "Rubber Riff" for years and always loved it. "Rubber Riff" is most similar to SM7, which is my favorite SM (though I'm in the minority here).

But... the tracks are 3-5 minutes -- not 0'30".

Ratledge and Jenkins also did a DeWolfe library disc of Christmas songs. Listening to samples online... it sounds bloody 'orrible.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 10-28-2019 at 12:15 AM.

I have just ordered Rubber Riff on Carlbergs recommandation.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I've had "Rubber Riff" for years and always loved it. "Rubber Riff" is most similar to SM7
    I was going to say, if you really like Soft Machine 7, Rubber Riff is a good comparison, but more lightweight and 'advertisement bed' ish.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I suppose Rubber Riff is a bit scraping the barrel for residues of SM. But from what I have heard on YT, it sounds pleasant.
    I do like most Karl Jenkins efforts in SM (I know jazz people that doesn't - he is too rigid). Rubber Riff was released as a KJ solo album in 76.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Rubber Riff was released as a KJ solo album in 76.
    Actually, it was originally released as a DeWolfe library music album without his name on the cover! A SURPRISING number of British musicians went this route in the '70s -- Neil Ardley, Ron Geesin, Darryl Way, John Mealing, Richard Harvey, Brian Gulland Chris Spedding, John Leach, Chris Blackwell, Martin Cook, Ian Boddy, Erik W°llo, Andy Clarke, etc. It was easy money up front I guess.

Actually, it was originally released as a DeWolfe library music album without his name on the cover! A SURPRISING number of British musicians went this route in the '70s -- Neil Ardley, Ron Geesin, Darryl Way, John Mealing, Richard Harvey, Brian Gulland Chris Spedding, John Leach, Chris Blackwell, Martin Cook, Ian Boddy, Erik W°llo, Andy Clarke, etc. It was easy money up front I guess.
    My favorite of these is still Energism by Francis Monkman, which (weirdly) got a reissue in the 80s on Klaus Schulze’s label!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Anthony Phillips, too.

Another one I haven't heard. He's been so active in composing and producing library music, he's had his guitar playing skills go stale multiple times and had to work hard to get back to form in order to produce new records that featured his guitar.

^ ^ ^

I have (and am selling) a French library music album called something like Cities and Industry which has tracks by Urban Sax, and other French progressives (Franšois Auguer, J-P Goude, maybe?)

hey! not braindead YET; I found it.

R-3820035-1429205639-9631.jpeg.jpg

Some good names here!

I remember it not being as good as I hoped it would be, but still some good names.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

This space for rent: Well established location. Perfect opportunity for an up and coming smart-ass to benefit from our years of provocation!

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I still have my Urban Sax albums. I always liked the covers.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^ ^ ^

I have (and am selling) a French library music album called something like Cities and Industry which has tracks by Urban Sax, and other French progressives (Franšois Auguer, J-P Goude, maybe?)

hey! not braindead YET; I found it.

R-3820035-1429205639-9631.jpeg.jpg

Some good names here!

I remember it not being as good as I hoped it would be, but still some good names.
    I have that one, had no idea it was originally library music...
    But yeah, I remember it was just so-so.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    LP only?

LP only?
    yes.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I still have my Urban Sax albums. I always liked the covers.
    I still have ALL my Urban Sax albums except this one - I think they are tremendous. That's why I went through the trouble and expensive of buying this library music thingy for my personal collection 30 years ago from France, without the benefit of hearing it first....

oh well! can't win them all!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Here are a couple of library releases that have not yet made it to the top of my to-buy list:

A SURPRISING number of British musicians went this route in the '70s -- Neil Ardley, Ron Geesin, Darryl Way, John Mealing, Richard Harvey, Brian Gulland Chris Spedding, John Leach, Chris Blackwell, Martin Cook, Ian Boddy, Erik W°llo, Andy Clarke, etc. It was easy money up front I guess.
    Today I just discovered another British musician who has surprisingly contributed to the library music phenomenon, and I had no idea.

There are ten library music albums that Dirk 'Mont' Campbell has contributed to, either a track or three, or recording the whole album! They're not as strong as his two "named" solo albums, but there are many fine moments. He does some Middle Eastern music, some Irish music, some neo-Chinese music, some African. It's mostly flute and ethnic wind instruments, but he includes some hand percussion and synth and some really big drums in some of it.

I'm really thrilled to quadruple my Mont Campbell collection.

Music by Dirk Campbell and his son,Adam.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Dirk (Mont)'s website with details about his work in soundtracks and production music. https://www.dirkcampbell.co.uk/biog

Whoa, thanks for his website link. I'd not run across that before.

Looks like there are several other library music releases I need to seek out. Of the ones I found yesterday, at least one, "The Ancient World," is a fully-developed fully produced, and equally valid solo album. All of the others have at least a couple of tracks that redeem them.

What's this Kalamus - "Bronze"? I don't see any other references to it online, except that Mont describes it as "mostly flute and bagpipe, with some percussion." Never heard of it before.

Mont has one son, Adam (above) and six daughters, one of whom, Anna, was killed March 2018 fighting ISIS in Syria.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:39 AM.

I like their Adiemus albums for a while, then it got boring real quick and that was that.

Adiemus is the shallow end of the Jenkins pool. It made him rich. Mission accomplished.

Dirk (Mont) sure doesn't go out of his way to help the curious listener find out how to purchase his stuff should they be so inclined.

Looks like there are several other library music releases I need to seek out.
    This is what I've found so far. Most of these he shares with other artists.

Textures/Landscapes/Travel (library music, Carlin Production Music 206, 1995 with Rick Fenn)
    National Flavours 5: Balkan/Gaelic/Middle East/Africa (library music, Carlin Production Music 220, 1995 with Rick Fenn)
    Ethnic (library music, Zone 002, 1995)
    Desire (library music, Zone Music 012, 1995)
    Thrill Seekers (library music, Zone Music 014, 1995)
    Fun Fun Fun (library music, Zone Music 015, 1995)
    People's Stories (library music, Zone Music 021, 1995)
    Earth Matters (library music, Zone Music 023, 1995)
    Prehistory and Early Man (library music, Zone Music 034, 1995)
    Early Medieval (library music, Zone Music 036, 1995)
    Audio Allsorts 1 (library music, Zone Plus 500, 1995)
    Africa United (library music, Zone Plus 506, 1995)
    Funtastic 1 (library music, Zone Plus 558, 1995)
    Russia Uncovered (library music, Zone Plus 616, 1995)
    World Atmosphere (library music, Music House MHA-23, 1995)
    World Sport (library music, Music House MHE-43, 1995)
    World Journeys (library musiic, Bruton BR-0219, 1996)
    India (library music, Music House MHS-32, 1997)
    Eastern European Journeys (library music, Bruton BRR59, 1998)
    Meditation (library music, Chappelle AV CHAPAV158, 2000)
    War Images (library music, Bruton BR-0361, 2001)
    Early History (library music, Bruton BR-0404-2, 2003)
    Middle Eastern Journeys (library music, Bruton BR-0428, 2004)
    Mediterranean & Near East (library music, Amphonic Music AVF-125, 2010)
    Ireland (library music, Amphonic Music, 2010)
    Celtic Lands (library music, SOHO Music, 2013)
    (Never Work With) Kids & Animals (library music, Boost TV 011, 2014)
    Salaam Dubai: Oriental Music from tradition to modernity (Melmax Music, 2014 - track from Safar)
    Fragile Earth (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-011, 2018)
    Christmas 1 (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-019, 2018)
    World Traveller - Africa (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-036, 2018)
    World Traveller - India (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-037, 2018)
    World Traveller - Celtic Journey (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-038, 2018)
    World Traveller - Near & Middle East (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-040, 2018)
    World Traveller - China, Indonesia & Japan (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-042, 2018)
    The Ancient World (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-048, 2018)
    World Mystery and Wonder (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-062, 2018)
    The Medieval Era (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-079, 2018)
    World Adventure (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-091, 2018)
    Destination Asia (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-098, 2018)
    100 Greatest Promos (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-100, 2018)
    World Percussion (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-110, 2018)
    Tudor & Renaissance (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-122, 2018)
    Middle East & Central Asia (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-148, 2018
    Upbeat World 1 (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-190, 2018)
    Upbeat World 2 (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-191, 2018)
    Japan (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-193, 2018)
    100 Greatest Promos 2 (library music, Production Music Online PMOL-200, 2018)
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:42 PM.