Thread: RIP Paul Barrere of Little Feat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

RIP Paul Barrere of Little Feat

Paul Barrere died this morning (Oct 27) at age 71.

I saw him in concert at least 3 times, once with the Bluesbusters and at least twice with Little Feat. Rest in peace to an excellent guitarist.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Yes, very sad news. I saw him twice with Little Feat as well. He had Hep C for decades. Liver disease killed him. Thanks for all the fantastic music, Paul! RIP.

I’m heartbroken. Despite still favouring Lowell George-era Little Feat (and hey, when will someone properly remaster that catalog ...or, even, remix it?), it was great that Barrere, along with other LFers, kept fanning the flames as long as they did.

So his presence will most certainly be missed, but he has left behind a pretty sizable legacy, both with and without LG; so RIP Paul, you’ve left a lot of great memories to ensure I never forget you.
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I’m heartbroken. Despite still favouring Lowell George-era Little Feat (and hey, when will someone properly remaster that catalog ...or, even, remix it?), it was great that Barrere, along with other LFers, kept fanning the flames as long as they did.
    Something wrong with the albums that you think would be solved by remixing?

But you're right, I think the only one they ever did anything with was Waiting For Columbus, where they put out a double CD edition with a whole bunch of bonus tracks (and reinstating the two songs that had been cut from the previous CD issue).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

But you're right, I think the only one they ever did anything with was Waiting For Columbus, where they put out a double CD edition with a whole bunch of bonus tracks (and reinstating the two songs that had been cut from the previous CD issue).
    It's a lot brighter too. And I made the mistake of getting rid of my single CD edition. But what a great band! Sorry to hear of Barrere's death.

DAMN!!! So sad news! I saw Little Feat many times including with Lowell George back in 1977. The best band live!!!

R.I.P. Paul
    "Frozen flaking fish raw nerve...In a cup of silver liquid fire" - Jethro Tull

I only saw them once, burning through a long set at the Minnesota State Fair in the 00s with more passion than you'd think they'd bring. But yeah, those records with Lowell (plus Waiting for Columbus and the boots) were the real deal. RIP to a gifted guitarist and decent singer.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Love me some Lowell George LF, however when I heard “Let it Roll” I was sold.
    Last edited by Firth; 10-29-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Let It Roll was a strong comeback album. I thought it was over after Lowell died. I guess Paul was the one that got it going again. I love “Voices on the Wind” on let it roll. RIP Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Let It Roll was a strong comeback album.
    The Let it Roll album was quite big in SE PA at the time and it made me an LF fan. I liked Representing the Mambo a lot too though that one didn't get as much exposure. Barrere's great swamp rock/boogie guitar was a big part of what was appealing about those albums.

I then went back and picked up Dixie Chicken and Time Loves a Hero and became a fan of the classic era. I wish I had made the effort to see them at some point. RIP>

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    The Let it Roll album was quite big in SE PA at the time and it made me an LF fan. I liked Representing the Mambo a lot too though that one didn't get as much exposure. Barrere's great swamp rock/boogie guitar was a big part of what was appealing about those albums.

I then went back and picked up Dixie Chicken and Time Loves a Hero and became a fan of the classic era. I wish I had made the effort to see them at some point. RIP>
    Speaking of area fan ship, I came to believe that the DC/MD area were huge LF fans fueled by WHFS in its heyday in the 70’s. I watched a WETA special on DC in the different decades, with each decade getting an hour long show. The 70’s were awesome with EmmyLou Harris/Gram Parsons, Little Feat and WHFS getting special mention. I went to NC State in the 70’s but had a friend from Chevy Chase, MD who channeled that HFS culture thru our Checker Demon parties. Unfortunately HFS propagated a division between electric blues/country/punk rock and Prog rock which I noticed when moving to MD in 77. That division wasn’t successful with me, I say “Let it Roll”. RIP Paul.

Listened a lot to Waiting For Columbus recently and his great playing
    R.I.P.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Sad news indeed. Saw LF on the Let it Roll tour and loved it. In my opinion, Waiting for Columbus is one of the best live albums ever released. RIP Paul.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Lucky Man
    Saw Feat twice, once with Lowell the tour before his passing, and again on the Let It Roll tour, then young Melissa Etheridge opening. Both great shows. Loved Paul's playing and singing. RIP and thanks for all the wonderful memories and great music.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Damn, this song still kicks ass

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    You mean like post

^^ HFS was great! I first heard Little Feat on another DC radio program, WAMU's "Rock and Roll Jukebox" program with Howard. He played "Wait 'til the Shit Hit's the Fan" from Feat's Don't Fail Me Now and I was hooked!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    ^^ HFS was great! I first heard Little Feat on another DC radio program, WAMU's "Rock and Roll Jukebox" program with Howard. He played "Wait 'til the Shit Hit's the Fan" from Feat's Don't Fail Me Now and I was hooked!
    Maybe someone here could corroborate something that I vaguely remember from the album Feats Don’t Fail Me Now. I thought I remember them having a contest for the fans to name the album. They asked them to send in suggestions and the winner was Feats. Does anyone else remember this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk