Thread: XTC- What Makes The Song Great EP 76- Mayor of Simpleton

XTC- What Makes The Song Great EP 76- Mayor of Simpleton

Rick picks another great tune to dissect. This time, Tim Smith from Jellyfish drops by (they both live in Atlanta) to play some of the bass bits too...

Very cool. No one could accuse XTC of making simple music.
    The DVD that comes with the Nonsuch Wilson 5.1 mix has some tracks on how they created songs. Facinating to me, a non musician.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Misleading to use a 1979/80 photo of the band for a 1989 track that didn't involve drummer Terry Chambers (far right) who left the band after 1982's English Settlement.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneTull View Post
    Misleading to use a 1979/80 photo of the band for a 1989 track that didn't involve drummer Terry Chambers (far right) who left the band after 1982's English Settlement.
    Busted.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

But according to Progarchives XTC is not Prog or even Prog-related.

Ridiculous!!! What a great band. One of the best...
    The Prog Corner

This was great! LOVE them. I shared this on Facebook big time. My share to the Big Big Train group-for obvious reasons-was well received.

as I posted in the comments

With Tim there, Rick should schedule:

What Makes This Song Great? JELLYFISH - NEW MISTAKE

Yeah! That would be great!

"Mayor of Simpleton" is a terrific pop song with excellent lyrical content. The video is quite fantastic as well.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

The eons are closing
    My fave XTC disc, even before I knew P@t from KC
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    as I posted in the comments

With Tim there, Rick should schedule:

What Makes This Song Great? JELLYFISH - NEW MISTAKE
    BINGO! My very favorite song from them.

^ Dave is tha man! I love that guy.

^^ Nice! The sound at 42:20 minutes is cool.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I was really thrilled to see him acknowledge XTC, Simpleton wouldn't have been my pick but after watching i didn't realize just how complex that song really is.

If i'm not mistaking this was probably their biggest/most mainstream "hit".

I checked out the wiki entry for Oranges and Lemons - facinating 'behind the idea' write-up on every song.

Oh, and it seems that they had a few guests visit while recording ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange...Lemons_(album)
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Love XTC. Oranges & Lemons is such a great album, although there are songs I like a lot better than 'Mayor', but even then it is a great little tune.

I've heard both 'Mayor of Simpleton' and 'King For A Day' in my bank on different occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    But according to Progarchives XTC is not Prog or even Prog-related.

Ridiculous!!! What a great band. One of the best...
    Yeah some of my very favorite bands aren't considered even prog related. XTC, Swing Out Sister, Stereolab, Prefab Sprout... 4 of my favorites. Oh well, I guess great songwriting is great songwriting whatever they want to call it.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Yeah some of my very favorite bands aren't considered even prog related. XTC, Swing Out Sister, Stereolab, Prefab Sprout... 4 of my favorites. Oh well, I guess great songwriting is great songwriting whatever they want to call it.
    Same here.

Swing Out Sister had some really nice songs -- "Somewhere In The World" is one of my favorites. I never got into Stereolab or Prefab Sprout, but there's still time!

XTC is one of my very favorite bands ever, and Oranges & Lemons is probably the one of theirs I love the most. But they had a string of really great albums in the 80s.

Bill g: I love ALL those bands and they are all "unique" and mighty talented but Prog, well that's always a tough one to quantify. Some of Prefab Sprout's SWOON album is a wee bit proggy and some XTC here and there...and Stereolab plays in odd times often but it's always an uphill battle calling those sort of bands "prog".

Happy Birthday to Andy Partridge who is 66 today
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Same here.

Swing Out Sister had some really nice songs -- "Somewhere In The World" is one of my favorites. I never got into Stereolab or Prefab Sprout, but there's still time!

XTC is one of my very favorite bands ever, and Oranges & Lemons is probably the one of theirs I love the most. But they had a string of really great albums in the 80s.
    Swing Out Sister really got interesting on their 'Somewhere Deep In The Night' album, lots of instrumentals, some time signature variations, and great moody music. Some great instrumentals on 'Where Our Love Grows' too. Light years better than 'Breakout'. As to Stereolab, 'Cobra & Phases' I think is their proggiest. It's pretty awesome I think you'd like it!

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Bill g: I love ALL those bands and they are all "unique" and mighty talented but Prog, well that's always a tough one to quantify. Some of Prefab Sprout's SWOON album is a wee bit proggy and some XTC here and there...and Stereolab plays in odd times often but it's always an uphill battle calling those sort of bands "prog".
    Yes, and same with another of my favorites, Signals (UK), who I guess are classified as 'Math Rock', but it sounds rather proggy to me, probably because of the time signature shifts and chords, though they don't have the instrumental passages or soloing one hears in traditional prog.