Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: New YES release - From A Page- O Wakeman/Benoit era

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    The Benoit era was an interesting one. At the time I was all for it, for many of the same reasons you were. I feel like it lasted about as long as it needed to. Soon Benoit was the one sounding like shit so that lineup had a certain self life. Meanwhile, Jon Anderson's voice recovered and made me wonder why anyone else is out there singing those songs. I have enjoyed several Davison tours, but there ain't nothing like the real thing.
    My Warner theatre Davison Yes experiences were not good in general. Bass was incredibly boomy. Alan White ran out of gas. I think that group needs a young drummer who is familiar with the work. Ultimately I wish there was a reunion with Davison and Anderson. I think Davison could help Anderson. Many great singers who are old have backups to sing harmony. Ideally, bring Rick or/and Oliver back. Bring on Sherwood for bass. Have Howe and Rabin.
    One personís noise is anotherís signal.

I do hear Steve Howe singing in a couple of places - I'm not listening to it now but if I recall you can hear him in the last minute or two of the song Words on a Page. And you can clearly hear Squire singing on To the Moment - the lines "To your dreams.....To the Moment". That song also has the most prominent bass playing on the record. Other than that song, there's not much bass to be heard - but I guess Oliver had to go with what he had on tape - as opposed to adding in new bass playing. And it holds together very well, I think. It certainly doesn't sound like a collection of demos. I think the guitar playing and tone on this EP is more interesting than most of FFH or H&E - it's very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    My Warner theatre Davison Yes experiences were not good in general. Bass was incredibly boomy. Alan White ran out of gas. I think that group needs a young drummer who is familiar with the work. Ultimately I wish there was a reunion with Davison and Anderson. I think Davison could help Anderson. Many great singers who are old have backups to sing harmony. Ideally, bring Rick or/and Oliver back. Bring on Sherwood for bass. Have Howe and Rabin.
    Rabin won't tour with Yes feat ARW. I don't know why he'd be any more likely to tour with any other incarnation of Yes.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Rabin won't tour with Yes feat ARW. I don't know why he'd be any more likely to tour with any other incarnation of Yes.

Henry
    Fine.

The Benoit era was an interesting one. At the time I was all for it, for many of the same reasons you were. I feel like it lasted about as long as it needed to. Soon Benoit was the one sounding like shit so that lineup had a certain self life. Meanwhile, Jon Anderson's voice recovered and made me wonder why anyone else is out there singing those songs. I have enjoyed several Davison tours, but there ain't nothing like the real thing.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ My feelings exactly!!
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

I've recently discovered Mystery(don't know why I waited so long, I think the earlier material hadn't reached their full potential). But listening to Benoit David sing in his own range is a beautiful thing to hear.
    I'm saddened his stint with Yes messed his head up, and wished he'd stayed with Mystery and sang the way he feels comfortable. I much prefer his vocals when not trying to sing like Jon Anderson, but I guess he can always hold his head up high and enjoy the honor of recording a great album with Yes, Fly From Here.(IMO their best release post Jon Anderson Yes).
    We've had two singers, Trevor Horn and Benoit David that tried to sing in Jon's range for full tours and near the end of those tours they blew their voices out! Jon D has a similar voice to Jon Anderson, albeit a bit different and I think it's been easier for him to not have to strain so hard when singing Jon's parts.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post

I've recently discovered Mystery(don't know why I waited so long, I think the earlier material hadn't reached their full potential). But listening to Benoit David sing in his own range is a beautiful thing to hear.
    I'm saddened his stint with Yes messed his head up, and wished he'd stayed with Mystery and sang the way he feels comfortable. I much prefer his vocals when not trying to sing like Jon Anderson, but I guess he can always hold his head up high and enjoy the honor of recording a great album with Yes, Fly From Here.(IMO their best release post Jon Anderson Yes).
    We've had two singers, Trevor Horn and Benoit David that tried to sing in Jon's range for full tours and near the end of those tours they blew their voices out! Jon D has a similar voice to Jon Anderson, albeit a bit different and I think it's been easier for him to not have to strain so hard when singing Jon's parts.
    He has a similar range as JA which is one of the reasons it is so eye-rolling worthy when people say/write that he's up there mimicking JA.

I think as prog fans we're a bit harder on judging a piece of music, especially a band like Yes that have written some pretty great progressive rock songs.
    I don't think of those songs suggested here as pop, pop in the traditional sense of the word.
    Maybe it's just because of the ensemble of musicians, but to me, Yes always puts a little dash of prog elements somewhere in most of their songs. Enough to take it out of the pop genre for me.
    "Close to the Edge" has three verses, a middle eight and an instrumental solo. Structurally it's a three minute pop song, it just runs for eighteen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    He has a similar range as JA which is one of the reasons it is so eye-rolling worthy when people say/write that he's up there mimicking JA.
    There is a big difference between having a similar range and trying to sound like another singer and their style.
    I don't believe he was hired by Yes to sing like he does with Mystery but rather come as close to singing the songs and make them sound like Jon Anderson, that's why he was hired in my opinion.
    Same with Trevor Horn.
    Like it or not, fans don't want to hear a singer that has the same range with Yes, they don't want to miss the Jon Anderson sound when they play live, that's why they hired Jon D as well.
    It's also quite obvious, some of the Yes songs are vocally demanding and it's not coincidence that both replacement singers blew their voices out at the end of the tour.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    "Close to the Edge" has three verses, a middle eight and an instrumental solo. Structurally it's a three minute pop song, it just runs for eighteen.
    Look on the internet, there are as many definitions as to what pop mean as there are people on the planet.
    I don't care about structure, it's what's in those 3 minutes that makes the difference.

There is a big difference between having a similar range and trying to sound like another singer and their style.
    I don't believe he was hired by Yes to sing like he does with Mystery but rather come as close to singing the songs and make them sound like Jon Anderson, that's why he was hired in my opinion.
    Same with Trevor Horn.
    Like it or not, fans don't want to hear a singer that has the same range with Yes, they don't want to miss the Jon Anderson sound when they play live, that's why they hired Jon D as well.
    It's also quite obvious, some of the Yes songs are vocally demanding and it's not coincidence that both replacement singers blew their voices out at the end of the tour.

Look on the internet, there are as many definitions as to what pop mean as there are people on the planet.
    I don't care about structure, it's what's in those 3 minutes that makes the difference.
    I was discussing Jon D. Of course BenoÓt tried to sing like JA in a voice that wasnít his natural one. JD, however, is singing the same parts in his natural range. He isnít mimicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    I was discussing Jon D. Of course BenoÓt tried to sing like JA in a voice that wasn’t his natural one. JD, however, is singing the same parts in his natural range. He isn’t mimicking.
    ah yes..true this is.

I think a tip of the hats to what Horn and David did during there stints with Yes is in order. They did great. Davison, since the music is more in his wheelhouse, hasn't had it quite so hard. He's been able to handle the vocals with no trouble at all. He's doing a great job. None of these guys would ever be Jon Anderson, that's a given but Davison is carrying the torch quite well, in my opinion.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I think a tip of the hats to what Horn and David did during there stints with Yes is in order. They did great. Davison, since the music is more in his wheelhouse, hasn't had it quite so hard. He's been able to handle the vocals with no trouble at all. He's doing a great job. None of these guys would ever be Jon Anderson, that's a given but Davison is carrying the torch quite well, in my opinion.

Bill
    For those interested, Jon Davison sings on two songs on Dave Kerzner's other music project, In Continuum and the album Acceleration Theory Part II: Annihilation.
    I joked with Dave on FB telling him after listening to Jon D's vocals on his album, that he should mix Yes' next album, because Jon D really sounds great on these 2 songs.
    Made of Stars (feat. Jon Davison) and All That Is (feat. Jon Davison)

check them out here(highly recommended album as is Part 1):https://sonicelements.bandcamp.com/a...o-annihilation

Bill
    Well, yeh they could never sing like the Jon Anderson of yesterday. While JA has improved, Iím not sure if JD wouldnít sound better than JA on a one on one sing-off, with the same production.

However, JD is sufficient and I have more issues with the overall band going forward, drums, bass and keyboards. Like I said below my ideal would be Howe, Wakeman, Sherwood, 2 drummers with one being White, and both Jons. Two Jonís would come closer to the former JA.

Bill
    It really does come down to vocal range. Davison is a true counter-tenor, like Anderson, so he doesn't have to strain to sing JA's vocal parts. The difference is that Anderson has an unusually rich and dark tone for a counter-tenor, so it's going to be hard for another male singer in that range to replicate that.

Apart from range, Davison seems to really "inhabit" these songs in a way that Benoit didn't. Honestly, if Davison's voice was richer in tone, he'd be the perfect replacement for JA.

I still rate it as pretty likely that Anderson and Howe tour one more time together in Yes.

https://biffbampop.com/2019/12/23/ex...liMMj6t6LLlGJ8

Pretty in depth interview with Oliver here^^

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    It really does come down to vocal range. Davison is a true counter-tenor, like Anderson, so he doesn't have to strain to sing JA's vocal parts. The difference is that Anderson has an unusually rich and dark tone for a counter-tenor, so it's going to be hard for another male singer in that range to replicate that.

Apart from range, Davison seems to really "inhabit" these songs in a way that Benoit didn't. Honestly, if Davison's voice was richer in tone, he'd be the perfect replacement for JA.

I still rate it as pretty likely that Anderson and Howe tour one more time together in Yes.
    You nailed it. However singers with exemplary tone and color benefit from backup with great pitch. I was in chorus next to a tenor, and my teacher said I had good pitch and range, but he was the tone king. However she had us sing together because we were synergistic. The two Js would be awesome!

Yes.

Davison seems comfortable singing even higher than Anderson. Listen to him on The Samurai of Prog's "She (Who Must be Obeyed)" (on 2016's Lost and Found), for example. I love Davison's voice, but Anderson does have a richer tone that no-one can replicate.

Henry

Sorry... but the 4-track EP on disc 1 doesn't seem and feel like Yes at all. The other 2 discs are redundant.
    4 (far from brilliant) demo tracks turned into a 3 disc box set. Music business is wonderful these days LOL

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    Sorry... but the 4-track EP on disc 1 doesn't seem and feel like Yes at all. The other 2 discs are redundant.
    4 (far from brilliant) demo tracks turned into a 3 disc box set. Music business is wonderful these days LOL
    I don't fault the music business for this at all. Most reviews from fans has been quite positive, and all Yes did was offer this package and no one is being forced to buy them.
    I don't think they used smoke and mirrors and the details of what's included were listed so people can make the decision if they need or want this.
    Myself, I would(or will in the future)pick up just the vinyl, and I would hope once initial sales are done they offer the vinyl version on cd. I have the Live version already, so don't need those.

Did you buy this package? if so, I'm sorry it didn't meet your expectations, and I mean that sincerely. We all see and hear things different and it's expected not all things will appeal to everyone, and I think it's good to respect other people's views.

Myself, I would(or will in the future)pick up just the vinyl, and I would hope once initial sales are done they offer the vinyl version on cd. I have the Live version already, so don't need those.
    Indications are that they'll do the same as with Return Trip: an initial exclusive release, but with a (much) later general release. Return Trip is now on Amazon and Spotify, one year and nine months later.

Henry

I wish that those who have bashed David would listen to the work he's done with Mystery. I think he does a fantastic job, there.

Completely agree!

I'll never understand why people believe this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

I'll never understand why people believe this.
    It's the "King Arthur will return to save us in our hour of need" of Prog.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    "King Arthur will return to save us in our hour of need"
    ...on ice skates.

I can see Anderson and Howe together for one or two songs in another 5-7 years on a PBS fundraiser special.
    They'll be backed by a 15-piece group of young players reading from charts. The show will constantly be
    interrupted by hosts in the studio:
    "Jon Anderson and Steve Howell wrote many YES classics together like 'Roundabout', 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart', etc."