Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: New YES release - From A Page- O Wakeman/Benoit era

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    I can see Anderson and Howe together for one or two songs in another 5-7 years on a PBS fundraiser special.
    They'll be backed by a 15-piece group of young players reading from charts. The show will constantly be
    interrupted by hosts in the studio:
    "Jon Anderson and Steve Howell wrote many YES classics together like 'Roundabout', 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart', etc."
    Oh my - I can imagine that - the performance shot in a very large hotel ballroom with about 300 fans.

Predictably, after whining and complaining about From a Page being packaged with an album I already have for an exorbitant price, I finally gave in and ordered the damn thing for myself after the holidays passed.

Glad I did. My thoughts:

To the Moment is a welcome new Yes song, and as has been said here, the single edit does it some injustice. It's paced much better at it's full length, plus more of the guitary and keyboardy bits you want from a Yes song.

Words on a Page is... a power ballad. A good, Yessy power ballad, with lots of Steve Howe lap steel.

At the Turn of a Card: Oddly this is the stand out for me. As others have said, it's great to hear David's natural voice in his natural range. His timbre and phrasing here remind me of Dennis DeYoung, probably helped by the solo piano accompaniment and show tuney nature of the song. Whatever. I really like this song and need to check out that Wakeman/Giltrap album

The Gift of Love: You can tell this would've been epic if they had spent time with it, but this never really takes off; kind of Endless Dream-lite, although it's still better than anything on H&E. Speaking of which, interesting to hear all the bits here that ended up in The Game.

That's my 3 cents.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Where can you pick it up?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Thanks. Purchased but expensive - $40 Canadian with shipping.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 01-16-2020 at 03:31 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Thanks. Purchased but expensive - $40 Canadian with shipping.
    Did you already have Live from Lyon? If you didn't, you'll get your money's worth. I hadn't listened to it in a while, and hearing it last night, it's so, so much better (to my ears) than any of the live releases of the last few years.

If you did already have it, a handful of new Yes songs is still nice.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Did you already have Live from Lyon? If you didn't, you'll get your money's worth. I hadn't listened to it in a while, and hearing it last night, it's so, so much better (to my ears) than any of the live releases of the last few years.

If you did already have it, a handful of new Yes songs is still nice.
    No, don't own Live From Lyon so I'm glad to hear I'll get my money's worth. I'm really looking foward to the unreleased tracks. Thanks again, didn't know where to purchase it!

I'd be perfectly happy if the new Yes album sounds more like this and less like Heaven & Earth.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally