Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: New YES release - From A Page- O Wakeman/Benoit era

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I've only heard this version.. anyone point me to the "album version"? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SGliMLJ3eI
    It's on the album, oddly enough; available here: https://burningshed.com/store/yes

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    It's on the album, oddly enough; available here: https://burningshed.com/store/yes

Henry
    Imagine that..

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Imagine that..
    I'm sure Henry will put the longer version up on youtube for you soon.

Irrelevant to anything being discussed here, I love how in this video Jon Anderson looks like The Beaver following Wally into a high school party and hoping he looks cool.

Just watched Los Bravos - Looking Around (featuring Tony Anderson, Jon's brother). Man, uptempo and kinda rocking. The guitar tone is awesome. Compared to the Yes version it has mucho balls.

"Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

I am very much enjoying From a Page. If you like the 'single', you'll love the album. If you don't like the 'single', you might still like the album.

I've got the CD box set. It's nicely presented, looks lovely. In the Present complements the studio tracks well, although, yes, it's annoying if you've already got In the Present to buy it again. The full length "To the Moment" has much more instrumental filigree, the full Yes cheesegrater. "From a Page" is a quieter piece, think perhaps "Madrigal" or "Circus of Heaven", but again with some great Yes arrangements. "From the Turn of a Card" was written at the same time, but not recorded, so this is just a Wakeman/David version, but it works well. "The Gift of Love" is the big piece, the only one where the other Yes members are credited as co-writers. It's full of ideas and nice playing, but I'm not convinced by the arrangement yet: as someone else here said, feels like it could have been usefully shorter.

It's all better than a lot of Heaven & Earth. David sings great. Wakeman gets to show what he could've done. This project was originally motivated by Chris Squire's death, and there's lots of Squire moments to enjoy. David once said that they had recorded nearly two albums' worth of material for Fly from Here. Contrary to the idea that the band were short of material, they had a lot to choose from. Across From a Page and Return Trip, we've now had most of that material released.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Irrelevant to anything being discussed here, I love how in this video Jon Anderson looks like The Beaver following Wally into a high school party and hoping he looks cool.

A progressive depiction of an interracial relationship for 1964.

Henry

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I am very much enjoying From a Page. If you like the 'single', you'll love the album. If you don't like the 'single', you might still like the album.

I've got the CD box set. It's nicely presented, looks lovely. In the Present complements the studio tracks well, although, yes, it's annoying if you've already got In the Present to buy it again. The full length "To the Moment" has much more instrumental filigree, the full Yes cheesegrater. "From a Page" is a quieter piece, think perhaps "Madrigal" or "Circus of Heaven", but again with some great Yes arrangements. "From the Turn of a Card" was written at the same time, but not recorded, so this is just a Wakeman/David version, but it works well. "The Gift of Love" is the big piece, the only one where the other Yes members are credited as co-writers. It's full of ideas and nice playing, but I'm not convinced by the arrangement yet: as someone else here said, feels like it could have been usefully shorter.

It's all better than a lot of Heaven & Earth. David sings great. Wakeman gets to show what he could've done. This project was originally motivated by Chris Squire's death, and there's lots of Squire moments to enjoy. David once said that they had recorded nearly two albums' worth of material for Fly from Here. Contrary to the idea that the band were short of material, they had a lot to choose from. Across From a Page and Return Trip, we've now had most of that material released.

Henry
    Is Lyon a straight reissue of the original or has there been any additional work done on the tracks? Asking because the old CD version is out of print and going for decent money on eBay and I could flip my copy to more than cover the cost of From A Page if there are no sonic differences.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Is Lyon a straight reissue of the original or has there been any additional work done on the tracks? Asking because the old CD version is out of print and going for decent money on eBay and I could flip my copy to more than cover the cost of From A Page if there are no sonic differences.
    As far as I know, the In the Present component of the box is a straight re-release (of the Japanese version with extra track). I started listening to it this morning: it sounds good. I didn't notice any sonic difference, but I haven't listened to the original release for a fair while.

Henry

Henry
    Thanks for the review, Henry. I ordered the CD set and the vinyl together from Burningshed the other day, so I hope to hear it all soon.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Just watched Los Bravos - Looking Around (featuring Tony Anderson, Jon's brother). Man, uptempo and kinda rocking. The guitar tone is awesome. Compared to the Yes version it has mucho balls.

I have never seen that, nor was I even aware that it existed. I always enjoyed the Yes version. I agree the guitar is great, who is playing and who else was in the band?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I have never seen that, nor was I even aware that it existed. I always enjoyed the Yes version. I agree the guitar is great, who is playing and who else was in the band?
    Yeah, that video a revelation to me as well (although I'll stick with the Yes version because... Squire ). Los Bravos was actually a mid-60s Spanish group that Tony Anderson joined toward the end of their initial run. Jon Anderson must have been trying to do his brother a favor by letting them record the song. According to the mighty Wikipedia (edited by moi)...

The band was an amalgamation of two pop groups, Los Sonor from Madrid and The Runaways from Mallorca. Los Bravos' original lead singer, Mike Kogel, was from Germany. Their 1966 single "Black is Black" reached No. 2 in the UK Singles Chart, No. 4 in the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, and sold over one million copies worldwide.

Los Bravos' follow-up single, "I Don't Care", reached No. 16 in the UK in October 1966. In 1967, the band participated in the San Remo Music Festival, failing to qualify for the final with the song "Uno come noi" in Italian. The band were the subjects of two Spanish comedic movies: 1967's Los chicos con las chicas (The Boys With the Girls), directed by Javier Aguirre, and 1968's ¡ Dame un poco de amooor...! (Give Me a Little Looove!), directed by José María Forqué and Francisco Macián. Their song "Going Nowhere" from the soundtrack to Los chicos con las chicas was re-issued as a part of the Rhino Records series, Nuggets II: Original Artyfacts from the British Empire and Beyond, 1964–1969.

One of Los Bravos' founding members, Manuel Fernández, committed suicide on 20 May 1967, at the age of 23, after the death of his bride, Lottie Rey, in an auto accident. Also that year, Kogel left the group to pursue a solo career under the name Mike Kennedy. He was replaced as singer by Bob Wright and then Anthony (Tony) Anderson. Anderson sang with The Warriors, with his brother Jon Anderson, before joining Los Bravos.
    I'm guessing Tony Anderson was on their 1969 album Ilustrisimos Bravos, but probably isn't on anything prior.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Henry
    I got the vinyl release and also enjoyed it. Its better than most of Heaven & Earth (Which I actually quite like) and I like David's singing. I saw this lineup and it's good to hear some studio tracks from them!

I think the release's reception has benefited from a lack of expectations or significance. As no-one knew this was coming, people hadn't worked themselves up, either denouncing it as awful before they heard it for missing Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman or expecting it to be the proof of the band's vigour and an equal to Close to the Edge. It also doesn't matter if you like it or not: in the sense that you're not taking sides in the Howe/White/Downes vs. Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman war. Nor is it any augur for future Yes: it's a dead end, in its own world. Instead, it is what it is and the music speaks for itself.

Henry

No Benoit/Oliver = No YES.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Wakeman View Post
    And with Steve, Alan and Benoit's enthusiasm for the project, I am proud to know that this music will get to see the light of day and, hopefully, be enjoyed by YES fans as a piece of previously hidden Yes history.”
    I am glad to see that Benoit is enthused about this. I gather Benoit has essentially retired from the music biz? I wonder, with all of this newfound enthusiasm, if he might think about doing something again. Maybe an Oliver/Benoit tour?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Maybe an Oliver/Benoit tour?
    Once Howe retires, Oliver could be in a good Yes cover band with who knows who else.

I'd like to order the vinyl. Are there any vendors in the US that have this yet? First one to chime in gets the order.

Benoit would like to upholster your boat.

As no-one knew this was coming, people hadn't worked themselves up, either denouncing it as awful before they heard it for missing Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman or expecting it to be the proof of the band's vigour and an equal to Close to the Edge.
    I kind of doubt anyone would have expected that, to be honest.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I kind of doubt anyone would have expected that, to be honest.
    There are some very enthusiastic Yes fans.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I'd like to order the vinyl. Are there any vendors in the US that have this yet? First one to chime in gets the order.
    It's exclusive to Burning Shed so far. I would expect a broader release at some point... which might mean years.

Henry

There are some very enthusiastic Yes fans.

Henry
    Haha that is quite an understatement! In anticipation of my copy arriving, I’ve been revisiting the Lyon live release. I remember initially quite liking it and that is still true after spinning it several times over the weekend. It’s recorded very well and what a joy to hear Squire and White so clearly. Alan could still drum very well in 2008 and he even solos in the middle of Astral Traveller ffs! I think this might be the best recorded Yes live release.

I love hearing Benoit David with Yes. Probably because I love his prog band Mystery so much. His voice is naturally much richer than either Trevor Horn or Jon Davison and this comes out beautifully in studio recordings, but you can hear him struggle to hit those Anderson notes live on songs like Heart of the Sunrise. Horn had the same issue when I saw the Drama tour as a youngling. It’s really too bad his voice wouldn’t hold up to the rigors of a Yes touring schedule as I think naturally he is a far better vocalist than Horn or Davison. I’m really glad these new studio recordings are coming to light.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I'm guessing Tony Anderson was on their 1969 album Ilustrisimos Bravos, but probably isn't on anything prior.
    Tony has led an interesting life in his own right. He abandoned the music industry after becoming a born again Christian in the late '60s/early '70s. This article includes a brief biography of Tony:

https://sonomachristianhome.com/2017...tony-anderson/

I think the release's reception has benefited from a lack of expectations or significance. As no-one knew this was coming, people hadn't worked themselves up, either denouncing it as awful before they heard it for missing Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman or expecting it to be the proof of the band's vigour and an equal to Close to the Edge. It also doesn't matter if you like it or not: in the sense that you're not taking sides in the Howe/White/Downes vs. Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman war. Nor is it any augur for future Yes: it's a dead end, in its own world. Instead, it is what it is and the music speaks for itself.

Henry
    I have been wholly underwhelmed by all the new studio music the various incarnations of Yes have produced since Drama, & the one with the numbers that came after that. I've also been fairly uninterested in the various touring incarnations of the band, with very occasional exceptions. I particularly dislike Davison's vocals.

I bought Fly From Here, played it once, & then got rid of it... So, I was surprised to find that the sample track available from this is quite pleasant. And even more surprised to discover an excellent live performance of Machine Messiah on YouTube from this Lyon show. Most of all, the live videos suggested that David was a really decent singer, with a nice stage presence & vibe. Moreover, he was able to cover both Horn & Anderson's vocals really effectively.

So, it's nice to hear how he, & this incarnation of the band, might have sounded...