Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: New YES release - From A Page- O Wakeman/Benoit era

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    On the Classic Artists DVD, ISTR Phil Carson claimed that the tour was already pre-sold before the line-up changes were announced.
    Definitely not the case on the west coast, at least. I saw them in early October, so I think the tickets must have gone on sale in September or August. It wasn't months and months in advance in those days. As mentioned above, we had known about the lineup change since May.

On the Classic Artists DVD, ISTR Phil Carson claimed that the tour was already pre-sold before the line-up changes were announced. I have often wondered whether this was one of those 'print the legend' things.

FWIW there's no heckling or anything audible on the Boston recording- the performance is well received. But Steve Howe has said the problems started on the subsequent UK tour. (Worth noting though that Drama itself sold very well in the UK.)
    I couldn’t reconcile having the short haired, large spectacle sporting chap as a replacement for Jon, but when the album hit the shops I adored the artwork and bought it immediately. I loved the music from the very first hearing, and the production struck me as fresh and invigorating, the drum sound was particularly vital.

I bought my concert ticket soon after arriving at University, I was a kid in a candy shop, Jon was touring Song of Seven at around the same time, and I saw Caravan and Camel in quick succession. There were a ton of new wave bands out and about too, I went to everything and it was a good time to be a student in a big city.

FWIW there's no heckling or anything audible on the Boston recording- the performance is well received. But Steve Howe has said the problems started on the subsequent UK tour. (Worth noting though that Drama itself sold very well in the UK.)
    I listened again to this recording, following this discussion, JJ - & whilst you're right that there's no heckling, it's also the case that Horn's vocals are dire - the opener, Does It Really Happen is massacred. This in turn brought back the memory of the nadir at the Edinburgh show - a brutal rendition of And You & I.

I've given Drama a couple of spins, subsequently, & whilst Horn's voice works reasonably well on Buggles tunes such as Into the Lens (as it would on Fly From Here), he's really struggling elsewhere (eg Tempus Fugit). Funnily enough, Benoit David transforms Machine Messiah in the Lyon recording...

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I've given Drama a couple of spins, subsequently, & whilst Horn's voice works reasonably well on Buggles tunes such as Into the Lens (as it would on Fly From Here), he's really struggling elsewhere (eg Tempus Fugit). Funnily enough, Benoit David transforms Machine Messiah in the Lyon recording...
    You mean Horn struggles on Drama the studio album? I have never noticed. I like Hornä's vocals very much on that and love the album overall.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    I listened again to this recording, following this discussion, JJ - & whilst you're right that there's no heckling, it's also the case that Horn's vocals are dire - the opener, Does It Really Happen is massacred. This in turn brought back the memory of the nadir at the Edinburgh show - a brutal rendition of And You & I.
    Yes, I've already said in this thread that vocally this show was not good. I agree 'And You And I' was particularly dodgy.

I've listened to a show from the US part of the tour in Boston a few times (a very clear audience recording). It's musically good but vocally...not so much. The harmony vocal blend is just not there and Horn couldn't hit the high notes like Anderson did. Not being identical to another singer isn't exactly cause for eternal condemnation. It's just that Yes just happened to have one of the more distinctive rock voices around so you have to sing the songs that way.

The then-new songs did come across well, although I found the 'Video Killed The Radio Star' vocoder (or whatever it was) stuff within '...White Car' very corny.
    Benoit David came up against the same issue decades later.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Hope you like it. Ya know, I had long been under the assumption that the reason they brought in Trevor Horn, jettisoned Oliver Wakeman and devoted half the record to the “Fly From Here” suite is because they were bereft of ideas and, without Horn’s help, they would have made Heaven & Earth three years early. Listening to From A Page I’m eating a spicy crow sandwich (Do they have those at Popeye’s?) on that front. It seems like they actually had some decent ideas flowing and some potential. They well could have come out with a decent record without Horn. Maybe Chris Squire’s presence in this music has me feeling overly sentimental.
    It's good to read this because I've been one who has always been dubious about the nature of Fly From Here. But I also assumed that there wasn't much new in the tank, whilst enjoying 'Into The Storm' and 'Hour Of Need'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    You mean Horn struggles on Drama the studio album? I have never noticed. I like Hornä's vocals very much on that and love the album overall.
    I enjoy much of the album greatly. But not '...White Car' (a nothing song IMHO) or 'Run Through The Light'. For some reason Horn does a Sting impersonation there- 'she-e-e-e-lter'. An early version of this track was around in those disastrous 1979 sessions with Anderson and Wakeman. The chorus was much the same.
    Last edited by JJ88; 1 Week Ago at 01:35 PM.

"Run Through The Light" is one of my favorite songs on Drama, in no small part due to Howe's guitar solos and Geoff's synth sounds. Horn's vocals never bothered me.

On the Classic Artists DVD, ISTR Phil Carson claimed that the tour was already pre-sold before the line-up changes were announced. I have often wondered whether this was one of those 'print the legend' things.

Some US dates went on sale before the new line-up was announced. Later US dates only went on sale after the announcement.

That said, this was before the Internet. It would be very easy to miss the news.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I saw the Drama tour and some people in the crowd were a bit negative but no means the majority. I don’t think it had a negative impact on Trevors confidence or career, by his own admission he never actively sought the spotlight, and after Yes he immediately went from strength to strength as a producer, and he simply owned the 80’s.
    I saw the Drama tour at Newcastle City Hall, and from what I can remember Trevor went down OK, and I enjoyed the performance. Fast forward a couple of weeks at the same venue, Jon Anderson on tour with the Song of Seven album. The audience was ecstatic , like the second coming of the Messiah !! quite a contrast with the audience reception for Yes, who were musically better, to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Derk View Post
    Fast forward a couple of weeks at the same venue, Jon Anderson on tour with the Song of Seven album. The audience was ecstatic , like the second coming of the Messiah !!
    It's good that such admiration never went to Jon's head.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Some US dates went on sale before the new line-up was announced. Later US dates only went on sale after the announcement.

That said, this was before the Internet. It would be very easy to miss the news.

Henry
    This article from the New York Daily News, Sept. 5, 1980, goes into some detail about the controversy surrounding the sale of tickets for the Drama tour:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrcywzc9rb...1980_.jpg?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by malgeo View Post
    This article from the New York Daily News, Sept. 5, 1980, goes into some detail about the controversy surrounding the sale of tickets for the Drama tour:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrcywzc9rb...1980_.jpg?dl=0
    Thanks - nice article.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I find it ironic that two singers for Yes wound up leaving and it affected them emotionally. What Trevor Horn experienced for the Drama tour was brutal, the fans were horrible and all the mean nasty comments I think affected his confidence for years.
    I think it was as much the behind-the-scenes stuff with Yes management that affected Horn as much as what happened with the fans in 1980, based on what he's said over the years. It was a pretty rotten organization, despite the wonderful music it produced.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    > The box features...Live From Lyon 2009

Milk, milk...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    > The box features...Live From Lyon 2009

Milk, milk...
    Has a well-known band ever put out several new songs on a previously released album? Fly From Here - Return Tripadded a song but over half of that album had somewhat new versions of songs with Trevor Horn replacing Benoit David, so I don't consider that the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post

Thought I'd drop this in here as it's the current Yes thread
    Nah! You Can't Polish a Turd. To my ears it's only add compressor, questionable eq / edits, and terrible vocals sibilance.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Has a well-known band ever put out several new songs on a previously released album?.
    Sure. Maybe half of everything released in the first ten years of the CD era.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    The compilation The Ultimate Yes, in the US only, had a third disc of newly recorded material, consisting of new arrangements of two old Yes songs, one old Steve Howe solo piece and a Dvořák composition, plus one entirely new song.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Yeah - there was a lot of that, along with a lot of demo/alternate takes from artists' catalogs thrown on the end of CDs. From time to time those included some excellent versions of songs that now would be included on a much more expensive box set. Bowie did that a lot with his early CD re-releases.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    The compilation The Ultimate Yes, in the US only, had a third disc of newly recorded material, consisting of new arrangements of two old Yes songs, one old Steve Howe solo piece and a Dvořák composition, plus one entirely new song.

Henry
    Yes, I fondly remember buying all the new tracks from iTunes a la cart because I already owned the rest and didn't want to buy them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    Nah! You Can't Polish a Turd. To my ears it's only add compressor, questionable eq / edits, and terrible vocals sibilance.
    Try as I may, even with Chris on this disk, after around five minutes I'm done. Yes, there are a couple of nice melodies and or whatever, but really ( IMO), as a long,long time Yes fan, this is just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Try as I may, even with Chris on this disk, after around five minutes I'm done. Yes, there are a couple of nice melodies and or whatever, but really ( IMO), as a long,long time Yes fan, this is just bad.
    Thanks to the video(which I think does sound a bit better than the original mix), I relistened to the first two songs and skipped around the full album posted elsewhere on YT(I have it stored somewhere here in the house, perhaps under the kitty litter container) and like you, it sounds absolutely lifeless to me.
    There are moments when I can hear a potentially good Yes song(such as the Steve Howe solo on song 1), but they never develop and honestly this is the first Yes album I just can't listen to(even Open Your Eyes) has it's good moments to me.
    http://richardhermans.bandcamp.com
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice

I really like this material. Apart from From The Turn Of A Card which is a little cheesy I find the rest really well written and recorded. The Gift Of Love has many beautiful moments.

Really enjoyed my first listen to it last night. From the Turn of a Card almost has a Broadway feel to it. Once again, no two Yes releases are the same.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.