Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl to outsell CD's this year?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    By that logic, downloads provide the artist with the most revenue with the least investment.
    I'm speaking mostly of reissues. For new releases and/or remasters, I do in fact prefer the original Hi-Res files from which the vinyl is cut. Unless of course the digital version is heavily brickwalled, in which case I prefer the vinyl version.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    My response to what little of that article I was allowed to read, without subscribing: 1) Most reissues are cut from the original analog tapes. 2) Even if it's from digital files, it's typically from higher res files than a CD. 3) For this reason alone in my mind, new vinyl records are well worth the price of admission: vinyl records can't be brickwalled to death like digital media can. If records were, they'd be unplayable. It'd be like running one's stylus over a saw blade.
    From what I remember from that Wall Street Journal article, it was seriously hinting that no remaster vinyls were purely analogue (the original master tapes never travel anymore), but an important %-age of the production was actually engraved from MP3 - I don't have access anymore to the WSJ, so I can't print the text.

And to be honest, if I wasn't overjoyed in the late 80's to see AAD, then ADD and finally DDD, I'm not exactly thrilled to see the opposite trend DDA or DAA: it all sounds so vain as long as there is one single D anywhere in the process.
    Find me on the planet (bar some hole in Sahel, maybe) a studio that hasn't escaped the digital modernisation over 30 years ago.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Find me on the planet (bar some hole in Sahel, maybe) a studio that hasn't escaped the digital modernisation over 30 years ago.
    I think you meant *HAS* escaped digital modernization... and you probably won't find any (outside of maybe Joe Bussard's Old Hat Records) because there's essentially no market for it.

From what I remember from that Wall Street Journal article, it was seriously hinting that no remaster vinyls were purely analogue (the original master tapes never travel anymore), but an important %-age of the production was actually engraved from MP3 - I don't have access anymore to the WSJ, so I can't print the text.
    Straight reissues without any reprocessing will be pure analog. That would rule out remasters, which are heavily reprocessed. Yes there are millennials who don't get the concept of MP3 being poor in quality. They also hold their phones vertically while recording video, not understanding they're only using 1/3 of the available video image.

That article's been debunked.
    https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...h-fabrication/

i have a hard time believing that a newspaper as serious as the WSJ would let one of his writer write up unsubstantiated articles like this very skewed attack pretends it does.

this reply sounds like a losing boxer on the brink of knock-out and in the ropes trying a low blow in the balls.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

i have a hard time believing that a newspaper as serious as the WSJ would let one of his writer write up unsubstantiated articles like this ...
    Have you read their opinion page?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Have you read their opinion page?
    nope, and I imagine the leftist I am would actually detest whatever their opinions are in their editorials... (that's where real journalists are allowed to voice them, not in normal informations articles)

But I'd hope that their business articles are well-researched and usually pro-business. So I'd expect a pro-enterprise journal like WSJ to find it good news the resurgence of the vinyl craze.

i have a hard time believing that a newspaper as serious as the WSJ would let one of his writer write up unsubstantiated articles like this very skewed attack pretends it does.

this reply sounds like a losing boxer on the brink of knock-out and in the ropes trying a low blow in the balls.
    I don't know about you, but I always consult a financial web site for technical advice. If I'm house hunting, I'll consult Field and Stream magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    ^ The best I could probably do is this: With vinyl LPs, I've noticed I can crank the volume up much higher without it ever sounding shrill or harsh, which I've never experienced with CDs.

It's less about the soundstage, for me at least, than it is the sonic feel -- and of course the ritual of using a turntable and taking out the LPs. Plus, the colored vinyl is really pretty.
    well said.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

I don't really know much about all this but lately on Youtube I've been watching this series, "What's In My Bag?" in which rock musicians of all kinds go shopping at a vinyl record specialty store in California, then sit down with the interviewer and show what they picked up. You see the occasional CD box set or DVD TV/movie box set but for the most part they're showing older and often obscure vinyl records.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

If I'm house hunting, I'll consult Field and Stream magazine.
    So do beavers.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

^^ I don't know about you, but I love beavers.

^^ I don't know about you, but I love beavers.
    Not enough white meat.

They're all pink on the inside.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Dude. You gotta cook 'em first.

Not enough white meat.
    I've always found white meat dry, and otherwise unpleasant.

I've always found white meat dry, and otherwise unpleasant.
    It’s probably overcooked then. White meat can be juicy when prepared right.

Oh, you definitely want to develop all of the juiciness when preparing your beaver for eating. They can be a tough meat to conquer -- like any wild meat -- so it helps to simmer for a while.

I got a kick out of this new video, posted yesterday. "CDs, those relics of yesteryear..."

Vinyls are here to stay, CDs weren't.

And rock'n'roll will never die, 'cause it's such a big thing with the kids nowadays. They're buying it like crazy. Prog is really big too, especially among fans of it. They simply can't get enough of new stuff.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

My niece is into music, and she loves singing on stage in musicals. We were stumped what to get her for Christmas, and I finally settled on a record player and some LPs. As kids, my sister and I would always listen to records, and hold the covers and spin in circles while focusing on the art. Not sure why, but that's what we did.

My niece dug the gifts and was fascinated at having the large panel of artwork as well as the lyrics. She seems to appreciate the active routine of choosing music to play and setting the needle and flipping the record and all that.

Oh, you definitely want to develop all of the juiciness when preparing your beaver for eating. They can be a tough meat to conquer -- like any wild meat -- so it helps to simmer for a while.
    Even the ones that are stuffed?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Thank you Frank.

Are vinyl records worse for the environment?
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...stry-streaming