Thread: Saw Deep Purple last night

Saw Deep Purple last night

And they were fantastic. This is worth posting about because Ian Gillan has really got his vocal chops back. I last saw them in 06 or 07 and they weren’t that good, but last night they nailed every song perfectly. A few songs were dropped a step or 1.5 steps even (I think Space Truckin' may have been 1.5), to accommodate Gillan, but hey as long as it sounds good!

I've never heard another singer improve so much after a long and steady decline. Maybe he has quit the ciggies and/or the booze?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    And they were fantastic. This is worth posting about because Ian Gillan has really got his vocal chops back. I last saw them in 06 or 07 and they weren’t that good, but last night they nailed every song perfectly. A few songs were dropped a step or 1.5 steps even (I think Space Truckin' may have been 1.5), to accommodate Gillan, but hey as long as it sounds good!

I've never heard another singer improve so much after a long and steady decline. Maybe he has quit the ciggies and/or the booze?
    I don't know about the booze, but I know he has quit smoking. How much did they do from Infinite? I'm guessing no more than two songs... I'd love to see them play most of that album live. I know they need to play all the old classics, but personally I don't need any of those. A set comprised mostly of songs from Purpendicular onward would please me to no end (in a perfect world).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

We just had, in one weekend, DP and Iron Maiden and I missed them both. If only I could get a job but my foot is supremely fucked up so alas, I have missed a lot of shows recently that I'd dig.

Anyway, good on you. Glad you enjoyed the evening. What songs did they pull out of the vault this time around? Last time I saw them was a co-headlining gig with Alice Cooper so the vault songs were trashed due to time constraints. The time before that, 2015 IIRC, they pulled out Into the Fire, Hard Lovin' Man and No One Came which thrilled me to no end.
    Last edited by TheLoony; 10-21-2019 at 03:57 AM.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

It was basically a "hits" set. The only outright deep cuts were Bloodsucker and Pictures of Home. I was not expecting Demon's Eye so that was fun. No Into the Fire unfortunately, I would have loved that.

The Steve Morse era was only represented by Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming/Cascades, Uncommon Man and Time for Bedlam, so only one Infinity cut

But the good news is they did a lot of jamming. Morse was in good form, and he and Airey had a lot of great improv interplay. Lazy, Hush, Perfect Strangers, and Black Night were all extended by several minutes each. Thankfully no "Mule".

I would love an "all Morse era" set but yeah very unlikely. If they advertised it as such any played possibly smaller venues it would work.

It was basically a "hits" set. The only outright deep cuts were Bloodsucker and Pictures of Home...
    Might have been worth the price alone !!!!

I think they are coming (or have already been) to Atlanta....didn't really dawn on me to consider going......kind of lost sight of them a LONG time ago. BUT, with SM & Don A. in the band...might be worth checking out.
    G.A.S -aholic

Demon's Eye, no shit? I've never heard that song live. Plus Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming? Damn now I'm even more pissed I missed the show.

I learned that this is their final tour.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    They are milking it to be sure. They've played here three times on this tour. Of course I had to see the "lame" show and not a true headlining show but I'll still take it.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Well, they're billing it as the Long Goodbye Tour. I think this started back in 2017, when they were touring with Edgar Winter, and Alice Cooper. Apparently, they've said in interviews they don't want to called it the "Farewell Tour" or "Final Tour" because "one doesn't like to say never", but I guess they're kinda leaning in the direction of this indeed being the last one.

I thought the show I saw saw last week was a little on the short side, but they played for like 90 minutes. The break between the set and the encore was only a minute or so, if even that. And if you think about it, Made In Japan is only about 75 minutes long, throw in the encores, it's around 85 minutes, so you're talking about a similar length show on the current tour. So, in the end, I think we got a reasonable length show from them. The band certainly sound great, and I didn't notice Ian missing any of the lyrics (supposedly, one of the reasons Blackmore left in 93 was because "I expect the singer to remember the words to the songs").

They are according to this article recording another new album later this year so the Long Goodbye could be getting longer if all's well.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/de...album-in-2019/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    They are according to this article recording another new album later this year so the Long Goodbye could be getting longer if all's well.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/de...album-in-2019/
    That kinda, no, really blows my mind. They all had not so subtly said this was the end and as they really are geezers it made sense.

This thread got me going a bit last night so I popped in From the Setting Sun..... and Perihelion. The set list on Perihelion is great and the performance is also really good but the Setting Sun is 2013 and they really don't look their age and that is some kind of testament to this band.

I told you I was bored. I'm also a moron. Demon's Eye was performed with Ritchie BITD. I suck, I know.

That's not the only time but I guess I had never looked for this song live and I just had never seen a video of them doing it.

Last edited by TheLoony; 10-21-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Gillan's voice improvement is no surprise to me. It's more a matter of allowing his larynx to recover from decades of abuse.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

A thought recently occurred to me: When Gillan left DP, the 3 founders, mainly Blackmore thought it best to start fresh and replace Roger as well. Things would've been much different had Roger remained in the band. His replacement Glenn Hughes funking up the Stormbringer album was the main reason Blackmore left. Glenn stinking up the stage one night ultimately broke up the band.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    A thought recently occurred to me: When Gillan left DP, the 3 founders, mainly Blackmore thought it best to start fresh and replace Roger as well. Things would've been much different had Roger remained in the band. His replacement Glenn Hughes funking up the Stormbringer album was the main reason Blackmore left. Glenn stinking up the stage one night ultimately broke up the band.
    Interesting thought. Bringing in two new boys probably gave them the confidence to stir things up a bit. I wonder how it would have panned out if Coverdale alone came on board, him having less experience than Hughes.