Thread: Steven Wilson - New Music Coming? (2020?)

It's alright, but yeah, a little on the lecturing side of things. This theme and musical direction so far isn't much of a surprise. Not the first time he had an album that touched on the dark slide of modern life.

For me though another tune was released today that was pure magic, and of course overshadowed by the likes of this SW tune. Though how many of you would pick this over Wilson anyway? New stuff from 3/4s of what was once Jellyfish. This makes me smile. The Wilson tune, not so much but he's bound to persist, isn't he?

I'm really enjoying this track - perhaps it's because my favourite release of 2019 was No-Man's Love You To Bits (closely followed by Rammstein's latest and Thumpermonkey's live set). I've lost track of how many times I've played LYTB (it would be in the hundreds). For some reason it really clicked with me and I couldn't get enough of it. Anyway I suppose that has primed me for some more "bouncy" stuff from Mr Wilson. Looking over his catalogue I find I am quite partial to the beat-driven PT stuff of which there is quite a lot up to the late 90s. My favourites are Synesthesia, Voyage 34, Dislocated Day, Idiot Prayer and Tinto Brass.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    It sounds like Giorgio Moroder having drunk sex with Alan Parsons in the early 80s.
    Perfect!
    Last edited by Kcrimso; 03-13-2020 at 06:02 AM.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

I liked it, but then I like 90s electronica, which is what this reminded me of.
    Tu veux un camembert?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    It's alright, but yeah, a little on the lecturing side of things. This theme and musical direction so far isn't much of a surprise. Not the first time he had an album that touched on the dark slide of modern life.

For me though another tune was released today that was pure magic, and of course overshadowed by the likes of this SW tune. Though how many of you would pick this over Wilson anyway? New stuff from 3/4s of what was once Jellyfish. This makes me smile. The Wilson tune, not so much but he's bound to persist, isn't he?

Love this! I'm a big fan of Jellyfish and in general of power-pop when it's done well, and this is great. Plus the drummer is Jeremy Stacey from King Crimson...
    In the same league as Once and Future Band and...er...The Lemon Twigs.

I like it far more than that last thing he put out!

I'm tired of his bitching about the internet and technology and consumerism...and iPods! He's guilty of producing box sets not only of his work, but the remastered work of so many others, I don't get his gripe about it all. He's actually got a huge In Absentia box set coming out his year!
    The biggest issue I have with his work of late is I don't know who the hell he is anymore. He prattles on and on and on about ALL the bands he listens to and is influenced by, and I've lost the sense of his own work.
    I don't believe PT should come back, it's been what, 12 years? So this hasn't been an issue for me at all. And I have NO PROBLEM with him branching out into the pop world to broaden his audience, no one has worked harder and deserves more audience than him. But at least from PT up through Grace for Drowning, I had a sense of his art, now I don't. I think he's trying to be like too many of his influences and he's lost himself in the process.
    This new piece certainly is super interesting, I love how the spoken word blends into the refrains. And not for nothing, he's certainly in a different world getting Elton John to participate! Holy shit!
    But to my ears, he's not a very good pop writer. None of his earlier "pop" oriented work ever moved me in any way other than to hit FFWD. If I never hear trains again it will be too soon. That last album sucked. And I'm not convinced he drew a broader audience, he may have gotten a DIFFERENT audience...but Im not sure if it was broader. I don't think he would have found it necessary to start digging out old PT material and playing it at his shows and releasing "new" material from that era.
    He won't be an auto buy for the first time since Signify...but Im curious to see what the rest is like!

Yeah, the whole thing sort sends the message, "I think you all are a bunch of sheep".
    Last edited by Sean; 03-13-2020 at 11:47 AM.

I have read the opinion that he is laughing at himself too, but he is the recipient of our pounds and dollars on these mega box set releases, so that only goes so far.

I do find that this track has drawn me back to it, there is something there that I am enjoying, and it isn’t really the negative concept. In times like these we need positivity and warmth, but I do like the music. I’ve also revisited the last No Man since hearing this and can see how this all sits together in his current oeuvre.

Wow, didn't know this was coming. Sounds alot like the Roger Manning Jr. solo cd's though. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    I like it far more than that last thing he put out!

I'm tired of his bitching about the internet and technology and consumerism...and iPods! He's guilty of producing box sets not only of his work, but the remastered work of so many others, I don't get his gripe about it all. He's actually got a huge In Absentia box set coming out his year!
    The biggest issue I have with his work of late is I don't know who the hell he is anymore. He prattles on and on and on about ALL the bands he listens to and is influenced by, and I've lost the sense of his own work.
    I don't believe PT should come back, it's been what, 12 years? So this hasn't been an issue for me at all. And I have NO PROBLEM with him branching out into the pop world to broaden his audience, no one has worked harder and deserves more audience than him. But at least from PT up through Grace for Drowning, I had a sense of his art, now I don't. I think he's trying to be like too many of his influences and he's lost himself in the process.
    This new piece certainly is super interesting, I love how the spoken word blends into the refrains. And not for nothing, he's certainly in a different world getting Elton John to participate! Holy shit!
    But to my ears, he's not a very good pop writer. None of his earlier "pop" oriented work ever moved me in any way other than to hit FFWD. If I never hear trains again it will be too soon. That last album sucked. And I'm not convinced he drew a broader audience, he may have gotten a DIFFERENT audience...but Im not sure if it was broader. I don't think he would have found it necessary to start digging out old PT material and playing it at his shows and releasing "new" material from that era.
    He won't be an auto buy for the first time since Signify...but Im curious to see what the rest is like!
    This.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Release date is 12th June - smack in the middle of the projected peak of the virus outbreak. It will be interesting to see if artists start postponing release dates for new music? Perhaps in the old world when you had to go out to a record shop but now maybe not, since everyone will be going crazy stuck indoors desperate for something new to listen to! The concept might fall flat though...
    Last edited by Steve983; 03-15-2020 at 04:42 AM.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I mean, I don’t hate the new track, but the “rock artist makes new music inspired by 80s synth pop” thing is a cliche at this point. Everyone has those same “80s-o-Rama ” laptop plugins now. It’s not unique or special. If he wanted to go in a radical new direction then he’d get heavily into AC/DC and do a raw, booze laden, stripped down rock record or something. Hopefully it makes sense and works better in the context of the entire album.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I mean, I don’t hate the new track, but the “rock artist makes new music inspired by 80s synth pop” thing is a cliche at this point. Everyone has those same “80s-o-Rama ” laptop plugins now. It’s not unique or special. If he wanted to go in a radical new direction then he’d get heavily into AC/DC and do a raw, booze laden, stripped down rock record or something. Hopefully it makes sense and works better in the context of the entire album.
    It just seems like over the last few releases he's been doing this big loop back to his earliest influences. My question is: OK, once you've fully mined that, what's next? He'll have exhausted every influence he's ever had and will be in REAL danger of coming off as a derivative hack (which I know some already consider him.) I guess it's OK as long as the basic songwriting is up to snuff, but that's been lacking lately IMO.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

The mashup is amazing! There are a lot of talented fans out there.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names

Has a sort of Klaatu-ish vibe to it. I like it.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Yeah, I'm not sure about the message Wilson is driving at here. What is art at all if not "shit we didn't know we needed". If I only spent money on stuff I actually needed, I wouldn't have a music collection.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure about the message Wilson is driving at here. What is art at all if not "shit we didn't know we needed". If I only spent money on stuff I actually needed, I wouldn't have a music collection.
    Exactly, where do you draw the line? We all see people buying stuff that we wouldn't buy - stuff 'they don't need' but its different for everyone. I guess he's having a go at consumer culture in general which is no doubt getting out of hand and helping to destroy the planet more and more in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Here we go:

Yikes, that is bad.

New stuff from 3/4s of what was once Jellyfish. This makes me smile. The Wilson tune, not so much but he's bound to persist, isn't he?

To be fair, not much of Steven Wilson's music makes me smile.

I do love Jellyfish though, so this new tune from Roger and the other guys has me happy.

Edit: I just listened to the new Wilson tune, and I liked it okay. Not a bad song, IMO. Curious to hear the rest of the disc and see how it slots in with the other songs.
    Last edited by aith01; 03-17-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Like the idiot fanboy that I am, I spent $1.29 on Amazon music and purchased his new song, King Ghost, from his upcoming album. It's electronic, seems to have synth drums, features his falsetto, and has yet more spoken word lines like Personal Shopper. After two listens, I'm very disappointed. He's going in a direction that just does not resonate with me.

And, strangely, the roll out of the new song seems to have been met with numerous technical issues. Reading comments on Wilson's fan group page on Facebook, I see that it's available on some platforms, like Amazon music, but not on Apple music (where it was available for a few hours in the middle of the night (US time) before disappearing).

Someone on Wilson's fan group Facebook page posted this snippet from last month's Prog magazine:

"Wilson describes The Future Bites as the most "solo" solo album he has ever made. His first studio record since 2017's UK Top 3 hit To The Bone features drummers Jason Cooper (The Cure) and Michael Spearman (Everything Everything), regular bassist Nick Beggs and keyboardist Adam Holzman, but Wilson plays all the guitars, and most of the other instruments, immersing himself in synths and electronics: "There's been a sort of decommissioning of the trusty guitars I've used over the years. They're here, but are abstract and processed. This record has almost been designed and planned rather than played." "

That final sentence is a little too abstract for me.

I made the mistake of reading all his blather and hype, and listening to his dribbled out song releases until the album came out. I won't do that again. I want to try and see if I can just listen to it fresh and maybe give him another chance. I know he's always been into electronic, ok, but I just hope he's given up on his idea he's a great pop artist!

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    That final sentence is a little too abstract for me.
    I read it to mean he had a greater hand personally constructing the tracks on the computer this time (and probably more in his home studio than in a professional space), rather than taking the more organic "band makes an album in the studio" approach of past efforts. I think that partially explains the more electronic and processed vibe to everything.

And I wonder how much of that was driven by a desire to simplify the whole thing and save some money. Remember, he's now got a wife and child to help support.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    Indeed interesting - but to be fair real life is stranger and sadder - just google "Supreme" - One of the saddest sights I have seen in my life is the monster line one Saturday morning at Supreme's Fairfax store - though not sure if the store is permanent or a pop up. Anybody up for this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DS-New-Supr...4AAOSwFrtdpCbF
    The people who made the game Cards Against Humanity sold an empty box that sold out (and I think was expensive).