Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324

Thread: Steven Wilson - New Music Coming? (2020?)

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    By which method you are quantifying that?
    The method by which PE does not represent the opinions of the general public.

Look... The critics I've seen so far have liked the new record. So beyond a few folks here, and some guys angrily shouting on Facebook/YouTube about how Steven should "bring back Porcupine Tree", there's not any real evidence that he's suddenly alienated most of his fanbase and it does not amount to any serious "blowback" as of yet.

Once the album comes out, we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    The method by which PE does not represent the opinions of the general public.

Look... The critics I've seen so far have liked the new record. So beyond a few folks here, and some guys angrily shouting on Facebook/YouTube about how Steven should "bring back Porcupine Tree", there's not any real evidence that he's suddenly alienated most of his fanbase and it does not amount to any serious "blowback" as of yet.

Once the album comes out, we shall see.
    Most? I don't think that anyone has suggested the Wilson has alienated most of his fanbase. But backlash has been significant. I myself have never seen anything quite like it. And I am not talking about so much this group but various progressive rock groups in Facebook.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Steven Wilson ruined Porcupine Tree.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Steven Wilson ruined Porcupine Tree.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Most? I don't think that anyone has suggested the Wilson has alienated most of his fanbase.
    I disagree. I think that's exactly what people are saying, and some have been alluding to in this very thread.

But backlash has been significant. I myself have never seen anything quite like it. And I am not talking about so much this group but various progressive rock groups in Facebook.
    Oh lord... You must not have been around back when Phil Collins ruined Genesis then.

Again, Facebook is where the loudest voices are the ones that get the attention, and that does not necessarily reflect the majority of people (or even reality). Believe what you want to believe of course. Progressive rock groups on Facebook sound like terrible places to spend one's time, IMO, just based on what Facebook itself has become.

I disagree. I think that's exactly what people are saying, and some have been alluding to in this very thread.

Oh lord... You must not have been around back when Phil Collins ruined Genesis then.

Again, Facebook is where the loudest voices are the ones that get the attention, and that does not necessarily reflect the majority of people (or even reality). Believe what you want to believe of course. Progressive rock groups on Facebook sound like terrible places to spend one's time, IMO, just based on what Facebook itself has become.
    Sorry but my own Facebook progressive music group is THE best place to spend time. Lots of active and intelligent discussion and very strictly moderated. By me! [emoji3] I would invite you but group operates in Finnish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry but my own Facebook progressive music group is THE best place to spend time. Lots of active and intelligent discussion and very strictly moderated. By me! [emoji3] I would invite you but group operates in Finnish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My apologies. I didn't know that you have and moderate a group there, and I didn't mean any offense by what I said. Facebook itself is so full of noise and general unpleasantness IMO, but I made a sweeping generalization about progressive music groups -- that was unfair of me. If a discussion group on Facebook is well moderated, then I'm sure it's much better. And the average person in Finland is probably a lot nicer and more polite than the average person where I live.

And the average person in Finland is probably a lot nicer and more polite than the average person where I live.
    I don't know about that... we have our share of assholes but they don't usually listen to progressive rock

^

That's one of the advantages of being a progressive rock fan for sure.

Here's a trippy new one, or rather a new version of an old one. Steve Wilson says "The latest Future Bites session is one of my very earliest solo recordings. Voyage 34 was released under the name Porcupine Tree way back in 1992, and at the time was one of the longest singles ever released at 30 minutes! This session version is much abbreviated, but look out for a more extended updating of Brian’s 34th LSD trip on my tour next year."

An excellent interview with SW here:

The album leaked, unsurprisingly. I found it on a torrent site this evening. I've already heard about half the album since many tracks have been released during the past 9 months. I had hoped that maybe the remaining 5 tracks would be interesting. I could only connect with one, the final track, "Count of Unease". I believe that this song wasn't on the originally envisaged album, when it was announced last March. Back then, the last track was listed as "Anyone But Me". I'm glad that Steven put this one on the album. It's a beautiful, ethereal song. This is its one bright spot.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    The album leaked, unsurprisingly. I found it on a torrent site this evening. I've already heard about half the album since many tracks have been released during the past 9 months. I had hoped that maybe the remaining 5 tracks would be interesting. I could only connect with one, the final track, "Count of Unease". I believe that this song wasn't on the originally envisaged album, when it was announced last March. Back then, the last track was listed as "Anyone But Me". I'm glad that Steven put this one on the album. It's a beautiful, ethereal song. This is its one bright spot.
    Yep, I'm hoping there's at least one or two tracks I might like in which case I'll buy a lossless download of those songs.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

I saw on reddit that there is a new interview of Wilson by Anil Prasad covering his new album and a lot more. It's quite impressive.

https://www.innerviews.org/inner/steven-wilson-4

I listened to the whole album last night. It's a good pop album. Calm down, everyone.
    Prog's Not Dead

Well I don't hate it, it's just a bit unremarkable to my ears. the final track (Count of Unease) is nice and would sit easily on earlier SW releases.

I went back and played TTB immediately afterwards and it now sounds like a masterpiece!

Quote Originally Posted by Progtastic View Post
    Well I don't hate it, it's just a bit unremarkable to my ears. the final track (Count of Unease) is nice and would sit easily on earlier SW releases.

I went back and played TTB immediately afterwards and it now sounds like a masterpiece!
    This^

I quite like this, not a patch on patch on GFD/The Raven/HCE of course but still..

The way my brain categorizes bands/musicians, SW now sits alongside folks like DBA rather than being a modern prog pioneer. That's fine, more power to him. I wish him all the success in the world. He's worked hard for it and has earned it.

But...
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

You know...I actually kinda dig 'Man of the People'. Pretty catchy pop song. I don't like this direction much because a major draw for me with his stuff are all the great musicians he surrounded himself with, but there are some pretty nice hooks here and there in some of the songs released. I may just give this one a try. Maybe. Possibly. There is a chance. We'll see...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

I'm not bothered by SW's change of direction and have been thinking for at least 10 years that it could be interesting if he added more electronics to his sound.

Yet, after a couple of spins, my first impression was that the songs were rather unremarkable, more surface than substance.

Now after 3 or 4 spins, it looks like the substance is slowly starting to reveal itself.
    So, for what it's worth, it could be a grower and I'm not writing off this album yet.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I'm not bothered by SW's change of direction and have been thinking for at least 10 years that it could be interesting if he added more electronics to his sound.

Yet, after a couple of spins, my first impression was that the songs were rather unremarkable, more surface than substance.

Now after 3 or 4 spins, it looks like the substance is slowly starting to reveal itself.
    So, for what it's worth, it could be a grower and I'm not writing off this album yet.
    I'm personally more interested in the 2-CD version because historically with his weaker albums (The Incident, for example) it was those outtakes that stole the show.

Anil's interview is stellar, as usual. But the big takeaway for me is here's a guy who famously championed The Album and is now championing The Single. I just can't keep up.

Who knows, I may end up digging TFB at some point down the road. I do know I'm enjoying all of his non-solo album stuff like No-Man's Love You To Bits more. There's more of a connection on all of that work to the things about him I liked so much in previous incarnations.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.