Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson - New Music Coming? (2020?)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I was hoping he was going do the opposite and continue to try to bring challenging rock music into the mainstream, instead he's sold out
    Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I don't see this as "selling out" at all. [...]
    Agreed.

I always thought Wilson could one day find big commercial success but I thought it would be with the sort of Blackfield art pop style songs which I really love, not this. Yes he can do what he likes but I am puzzled as to why he is doing it and disappointed because whatever the genre, the songs don't seem very good.
    Here we come to the crux of the biscuit, I think.

When other people like music I like, it makes me happy.

When other people like music I don't like, it confuses me.

When other people don't like music I like, they are assholes.

No, not even close. It's what middle-aged prog geeks like us think the mainstream is, since we don't actually listen to mainstream pop! :
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    That's the beauty of the comedy gold here within this thread! When proggers think they know what pop and mainstream is vs. what it really is.

I'll confess to being out of touch when it comes to truly "mainstream" music these days. I've never listened to Ariana Grande, for example (though I have listened to some Taylor Swift). But popular music has gotten pretty diverse, and there's stuff like Tame Impala which is just one guy in the studio writing his own stuff and playing most of the instruments himself -- and he's pretty darn popular (he tours with a full band of course). So there's still some quality stuff being made under the mainstream pop umbrella, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post

What about other animals who used to like music that you originally liked but then didn't like and then liked again for 7 minutes?

Oh yeah, I forgot about Toro y Moi (aka Chaz Bear), who is kinda like a modern day Todd Rundgren in that each album is different from the last and he does a bit of music production work on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    What about other animals who used to like music that you originally liked but then didn't like and then liked again for 7 minutes?

It depends on how cute they are.

Ergo:

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

It depends on how cute they are.
    OK duly noted. Arf. Bakaaaaw. Meow. Mooo.

OK duly noted. Arf. Bakaaaaw. Meow. Mooo.
    "Arf," she said.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Not at all, but to my ears/eyes it is clearly a play for a more chart-friendly (i.e. inclusive) direction, albeit wrapped in a concept that risks alienating some. What do I know though, I'm one of those old guys with a pretty wide taste and large record collection who remembers when pop could be arch and interesting. I feel this is the underlying driver to Mr Wislon's new direction. I may be way off the mark though.
    That's certainly possible. Just as I said that we're all a bunch of middle-aged geeks out of touch with mainstream pop, well, remember that Wilson is *one of us*. I strongly doubt that he sits around listening to K-Pop and Cardi B songs.

It'd be pretty funny if he thinks that a song that would have fit on a putative early '90s Roger Waters concept record would be "mainstream" in 2020, but I guess anything is possible!

One other aspect to this that we may be missing is that "TFB" is supposed to be larger concept that includes the recording, tour and merchandise. I'm assuming the TFB tour, if it ever happens, will be "in character", as such. And yes, I'm also rolling my eyes at the prospect...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    "Arf," she said.
    Frankie, a modified dude.

I actually laughed out loud in real life. Good one.

I strongly doubt that he sits around listening to K-Pop and Cardi B songs.
    Although I wonder if the new Mrs. Wilson does. And maybe it's rubbing off on him. SW is one of the spongiest musicians I've ever seen.

I guess we're going to have to wait for the inevitable flood of interviews sometime soon to have it all explained.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Although I wonder if the new Mrs. Wilson does. And maybe it's rubbing off on him. SW is one of the spongiest musicians I've ever seen.
    Not sure about this. K-Pop and Cardi B don't sound anything like these new Wilson songs.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Not sure about this. K-Pop and Cardi B don't sound anything like these new Wilson songs.
    You probably know better than me. But the point is whatever pop music he's sponging -- maybe he's been hearing it around the house.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

You probably know better than me.
    In the case of Cardi B, believe me, I wish I didn't know.

But the point is whatever pop music he's sponging -- maybe he's been hearing it around the house.
    That is an interesting possibility, hearing things around the house he might not normally be exposed to.

I still kind of like Permanating. I can't say the same about this recent tune. Oh well, maybe something on the album will appeal to me.
    <sig out of order>

Amusing (to me anyway) absolutely true story from earlier today...

I was reading through this thread and clicked on the "eminent sleaze" video for the first time. I then realized I had turned down the computer sound to almost zero about a half hour previous so I turned it back up to hear the new SW song. I thought it was pretty good. There was a cliched chanting chorus but also a lot of odd female vocals, some interesting piano motifs. Odd, but not bad.

Only after about three minutes of the song did I remember that I had kicked off a long windows music player playlist before turning down the volume. So, in fact I was not only listening to "eminent sleaze" but also, simultaneously, "1000 years" by Hi-fiction Science. The songs must be in the same key because nothing sounded off. And the latter has no prominent drums to interfere with sleaze's rhythm.

When I stopped 1000 years, eminent sleaze became a much less interesting tune

...or a modified d**k....fill in the blanks!

...or a modified d**k....fill in the blanks!
    Pan-chromatic resonance, and other lowly dangling domains.

That Eminent Sleaze song sounds a bit 'Rock On' - David Essex to me.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Amusing (to me anyway) absolutely true story from earlier today...

I was reading through this thread and clicked on the "eminent sleaze" video for the first time. I then realized I had turned down the computer sound to almost zero about a half hour previous so I turned it back up to hear the new SW song. I thought it was pretty good. There was a cliched chanting chorus but also a lot of odd female vocals, some interesting piano motifs. Odd, but not bad.

Only after about three minutes of the song did I remember that I had kicked off a long windows music player playlist before turning down the volume. So, in fact I was not only listening to "eminent sleaze" but also, simultaneously, "1000 years" by Hi-fiction Science. The songs must be in the same key because nothing sounded off. And the latter has no prominent drums to interfere with sleaze's rhythm.

When I stopped 1000 years, eminent sleaze became a much less interesting tune
    Send this to Wilson. He will remix it.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    That Eminent Sleaze song sounds a bit 'Rock On' - David Essex to me.
    I thought this exactly when I heard it the first time!

I get that people like a certain Style that Steven Wilson does, but expecting him to go back to Porcupine Tree or do it exactly what Porcupine Tree did isn't really Progressive is it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I get that people like a certain Style that Steven Wilson does, but expecting him to go back to Porcupine Tree or do it exactly what Porcupine Tree did isn't really Progressive is it?
    Nope - but it's "Progses" - and that's what we wants my precious....
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson