Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
Results 351 to 375 of 495

Thread: Steven Wilson - New Music Coming? (2020?)

  1. #351
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Nope - but it's "Progses" - and that's what we wants my precious....
    A lot of Golems in prog hahahaha

  2. #352
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    7,630
    This change in style had been tipped off when he presaged the move by changing his name to Wislon.

  3. #353
    Member Kcrimso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    1,101
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I get that people like a certain Style that Steven Wilson does, but expecting him to go back to Porcupine Tree or do it exactly what Porcupine Tree did isn't really Progressive is it?
    So Porcupine Tree or crappy eighties-like pop music are his only options? It might be. Wilson really is not so versatile as a composer.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

  4. #354
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    So Porcupine Tree or crappy eighties-like pop music are his only options? It might be. Wilson really is not so versatile as a composer.
    I think a lot would disagree.
    As someone who played in a very odd time complicated trio, after while you just want to do simpler arrangements. I fully support his change in styles and genres

  5. #355
    Its not my cuppa, this direction does nothing for me. I could barely get through the last one and sadly am not so interested in buying this one given what him hearing. He's made some comments about this one being out of the box in terms of presentation, so I AM interested in what he has in mind in terms of packaging and live...however:
    I have no qualms with him taking himself into a wider range of music/listeners with this direction, I'm just not a fan of it. I wasn't with To The Bone either.
    Its obvious he'll get a wider audience with more accessible music like this than he did with his earlier pieces or PT. And good for him, no one in my estimation has worked harder or deserves it more. So the idea of him selling out/making bank is pure unadulterated nonsense.
    Im not sure what he's on about...I saw an interview around the release of the last album where he was smashing an iPod again, I'm not feeling what he's saying about all this commercialism when he appears to be courting it himself!! It feels rehashed plastic and hollow to me.
    He always mentions the great pop writers, he loves to name-drop, but I have never liked his 'pop' efforts, either with PT or his solo work. Blackfield was different, he was writing with a pop singer/writer. I don t see him as a good pop writer. (I'll never understand the love of Trains and Lazarus)
    He's always been interested in writing film scores, this last video could be a snippet from a full length movie. Im sure he's angling at that market as well.
    My biggest gripe comes with the inconsistency of his album/touring bands. Infuritating to me actually. I think getting Wackerman and Kilminster were feathers in his cap, but not necessarily good fits or as good live relative to the album bands. My opinion.(I didn't see TTB)
    If TTB was all that great, why did he drag out old PT material on the last tour??
    I think he's still trying to find himself!
    Anyone thinking PT will EVER have another go has a long wait. Kohoutek returning will happen sooner. (Its next apparition will be in about 75,000 years.)
    I never thought I would fall off the fan boy wagon but the last one did it...this hasn't put me back on...I wish him luck, he deserves it!

  6. #356
    Personally, I don't mind POP if the songwriting is good and I don't blame him for wanting to change direction in his music. It's less appealing for my tastes than his previous solo efforts and Porcupine Tree but he's totally expecting that response from most people who like his previous work. In fact, the whole thing seems like a deliberate test of his fans or even something to rile up the controversy. That may be marketing genius but I find that sort of thing annoying... and you'll have to forgive me if I ever do that for my music. We're all hypocrites.

    The video for the new one is pretty cool. I look for redeeming qualities. That guitar solo at the end is my favorite part of the song. Not crazy about the chorus. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how this all goes with the fans. Will he gain lots of new fans or just thin out the support from his existing Prog-loving fanbase? Curious.

  7. #357
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    7,630
    Desperate.

    But not serious.

  8. #358
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    4,454
    Imagine him coming out with a very traditional bluegrass album a la 50s Flatt & Scruggs....would that be considered progressive because he never did it before? I'd probably buy it over The Future Chews.

  9. #359
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Personally, I don't mind POP if the songwriting is good and I don't blame him for wanting to change direction in his music. It's less appealing for my tastes than his previous solo efforts and Porcupine Tree but he's totally expecting that response from most people who like his previous work. In fact, the whole thing seems like a deliberate test of his fans or even something to rile up the controversy. That may be marketing genius but I find that sort of thing annoying... and you'll have to forgive me if I ever do that for my music. We're all hypocrites.

    The video for the new one is pretty cool. I look for redeeming qualities. That guitar solo at the end is my favorite part of the song. Not crazy about the chorus. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how this all goes with the fans. Will he gain lots of new fans or just thin out the support from his existing Prog-loving fanbase? Curious.
    Yes indeed, I look forward to all the interviews where he explains what he's thinking. It's like he is deliberately trying to alienate his long term fans but he seems to have a lot of fanboys on Instagram & Youtube, will be interesting to see if he gathers enough new fans to carry him through. I can't help thinking he's dodged a bullet by having the 02 show cancelled by covid, it may have been a rather empty arena.

  10. #360
    Member Paulrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Left Coast
    Posts
    1,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Yes indeed, I look forward to all the interviews where he explains what he's thinking. It's like he is deliberately trying to alienate his long term fans but he seems to have a lot of fanboys on Instagram & Youtube, will be interesting to see if he gathers enough new fans to carry him through. I can't help thinking he's dodged a bullet by having the 02 show cancelled by covid, it may have been a rather empty arena.
    Agreed. And I've looked at the comments on Instagram, YT, etc. and they mostly seemed to trend negative. Lots of "I love the guy and his work in the past but I'm just not digging this."

    But who knows. He may tap a nerve in the larger commercial market and TFB will become one of the hits of 2021. He certainly deserves it (although I'd say he deserves it more for his PT work circa 1999...)
    Last edited by Paulrus; 09-24-2020 at 02:38 PM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

  11. #361
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    But who knows. He may tap a nerve in the larger commercial market and TFB will become one of the hits of 2021. He certainly deserves it (although I'd say he deserves it more for his PT work circa 1999...)
    The funny thing is that in 1999 Stupid Dream was considered a commercial move. Just like Signify in 1996. Or In Absentia in 2002. Or Fear of a Blank Planet in 2005... Or....

  12. #362
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Imagine him coming out with a very traditional bluegrass album a la 50s Flatt & Scruggs....would that be considered progressive because he never did it before? I'd probably buy it over The Future Chews.
    The one good thing about hearing SW's single with all the derivative early 70s Motown bass lines and strings is that I exited listening to SW after a couple minutes and immediately cued up The Temptations' "Papa Was A Rolling Stone", which I hadn't heard for a few years.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

    Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

  13. #363
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    12,029
    If Steven Wislon keeps releasing camples, PE will get in arms.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  14. #364
    Moderator Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,959
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    The funny thing is that in 1999 Stupid Dream was considered a commercial move. Just like Signify in 1996. Or In Absentia in 2002. Or Fear of a Blank Planet in 2005... Or....
    How's that going? Surely he's a big star by now?

  15. #365
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    How's that going? Surely he's a big star by now?
    If radio had a soul, he would be...along with Andy Rinehart in 1995! Imo. I mean, david torn and mick karn played on every song AND andy was a great artist.

  16. #366
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    How's that going? Surely he's a big star by now?
    Well, hang on now. I heard "Shallow" on my local pop/rock radio station back in 2005 when Deadwing came out. Can't think of too many (or any) contemporary "prog" artists/bands who got airplay like that where I live (except for Tool). This wasn't an experimental/alternative/college radio station.

    I absolutely think that Deadwing and In Absentia (and even Stupid Dream) were much more commercial/accessible than what he was doing before. Doesn't mean that he was successful in hitting it big at the time though.

  17. #367
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    So Porcupine Tree or crappy eighties-like pop music are his only options?


    If you think this sounds like eighties pop music, you need to have your ears cleaned.

    But have you listened to any of Wilson's other projects besides Porcupine Tree, such as Bass Communion or Continuum? Sheesh...
    Last edited by aith01; 09-24-2020 at 06:12 PM.

  18. #368
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I get that people like a certain Style that Steven Wilson does, but expecting him to go back to Porcupine Tree or do it exactly what Porcupine Tree did isn't really Progressive is it?
    Actually, it would be progressive since Porcupine Tree is progressive rock. Playing another genre is not progress. Nor is playing in a style he used to play regress. Not sure why you're trying to change the meaning of the word.

  19. #369
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Master View Post
    Actually, it would be progressive since Porcupine Tree is progressive rock. Playing another genre is not progress. Nor is playing in a style he used to play regress.


    You do know what the word "progressive" means, right?


    Quote Originally Posted by Le Master View Post
    Not sure why you're trying to change the meaning of the word.
    He's not.

  20. #370
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post


    You do know what the word "progressive" means, right?
    Yes, and it’s inane to assert people shouldn’t actually want him to play progressive rock because he’s already done that, and therefore that wouldn’t be progressive. The only progressive being spoken about is progressive rock. And even if people wanted him to be “progressive” and broaden his music to incorporate other styles and elements, this still isn’t it. Simply playing a different genre or style isn’t being progressive.

  21. #371
    Just listened to the single for the fourth time. Like it or not I find myself perplexed by the comments about how he will surely "find himself a bigger audience" and that this is pop or mainstream. Like it or not this does not sound like anything that will be popular....who's the target audience?

    Who's going to buy (or stream) this that is not already a Wilson fan? I've a 18 year old daughter and 25 year old son who inundate me with current popular music. This track wouldn't last two minutes before they begged me to shut it off...

    I'm not particularly enjoying this new stuff but I respect the hell out of him and will buy it - I'm sure there will be plenty to appreciate.

    For his sake I would love for him to have a massive success with this record. But I'm not hearing this "pivot to the mainstream" that others are...

  22. #372
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Master View Post
    Yes, and it’s inane to assert people shouldn’t actually want him to play progressive rock because he’s already done that, and therefore that wouldn’t be progressive. The only progressive being spoken about is progressive rock. And even if people wanted him to be “progressive” and broaden his music to incorporate other styles and elements, this still isn’t it. Simply playing a different genre or style isn’t being progressive.
    adjective
    1.
    happening or developing gradually or in stages; proceeding step by step.

  23. #373
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    358
    If you don't like what Wilson is doing. You could listen to Pineapple Thief, Riverside or about 40% of the Kscope catalog and hear that same Porcupine Tree sound from them.
    Change for a musician is needed. I would never expect a guy like Steve Wilson to remain stagnant in one style of his whole career. That's like eating the same meal three times a day, every day.

  24. #374
    Member The Czar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry's Hand View Post
    Just listened to the single for the fourth time. Like it or not I find myself perplexed by the comments about how he will surely "find himself a bigger audience" and that this is pop or mainstream. Like it or not this does not sound like anything that will be popular....who's the target audience?

    Who's going to buy (or stream) this that is not already a Wilson fan? I've a 18 year old daughter and 25 year old son who inundate me with current popular music. This track wouldn't last two minutes before they begged me to shut it off...

    I'm not particularly enjoying this new stuff but I respect the hell out of him and will buy it - I'm sure there will be plenty to appreciate.

    For his sake I would love for him to have a massive success with this record. But I'm not hearing this "pivot to the mainstream" that others are...
    I don't hear the mainstream thing either. I hope the album takes even more directions and twists and turns...and none of it sounds like previous releases

  25. #375
    Moderator Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,959
    Dave, is that you?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •