Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson - New Music Coming? (2020?)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Another new track. Like it? Remind you of anything?
    Utterly forgettable. Worst of these new songs so far.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Hmmmm it's fine, for what it is but seems a little different from the rest, though admittedly they have all been distinct from one another, and a long step away from progressive. It reminds me in part of a Keane song that my daughter used to play a lot, something from one of their early albums... but that's not 80's!

At last a track I like! This is the kind of SW pop song that I am very happy to listen to, reminds me of From 44 to 48 - maybe 'cos of the lyrics.

Is it at all possible that Steven created this album of forgettable and pop inspired songs to represent what he thinks the music industry is headed towards? In other words, the music sucks and the future bites because the music sucks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

I like it - have no problem with his new direction. Sort of reminds me with some mid-era PT.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Meh. I've been listening to SW and Tim Bowness' The Album Years podcast and it's amazing to me after they've spent umpteen hours dissecting and rhapsodizing about all this great music, and THIS is what he comes up with?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Been a loyal fan of Mr Wilson for so many years and I keep my faith in him. I think this poppier phase is just something that will be passing. I see it as pure experimentation, and why not.. I look forward to whatever he may have in mind for us fans in the years coming. It certainly took a while for me to take TTB to my heart, but now I think it's a great album. I'm not completely won over by the songs I've heard from the new one, but I'm certain that it will be growing on me also. With all this being said, I do miss his fantastic and more 'proggy' sound and so much wish for more..

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    Been a loyal fan of Mr Wilson for so many years and I keep my faith in him. I think this poppier phase is just something that will be passing. I see it as pure experimentation, and why not.. I look forward to whatever he may have in mind for us fans in the years coming. It certainly took a while for me to take TTB to my heart, but now I think it's a great album. I'm not completely won over by the songs I've heard from the new one, but I'm certain that it will be growing on me also. With all this being said, I do miss his fantastic and more 'proggy' sound and so much wish for more..
    That's exactly how I view it.

I wonder if he's just running low on musical inspiration at the moment. The packaging concept is more interesting than the music I've heard so far.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I wonder if he's just running low on musical inspiration at the moment. The packaging concept is more interesting than the music I've heard so far.
    Agreed.

New video for PS

Creepy video .... I like it !!

fully respect his will to do different things, having said that I dislike every single note of the tracks appeared so far, even by POP standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedatolo View Post
    fully respect his will to do different things, having said that I dislike every single note of the tracks appeared so far, even by POP standards.
    Yep, I think he admitted in that recent interview that HCE was his best selling album so...draw your own conclusions.

I enjoyed the video/music.

When they sing about buying "shit you don't need", did they have the album in mind?
    Last edited by Sean; 11-28-2020 at 04:59 PM.

So far, I "like" this music far better than to the bone, which I found quite horrible. This song could almost be on HCE. Though so far the collection isn't anything I would be interested in listening to more than once maybe twice.

When they sing about buying "shit you don't need", did they have the album in mind?
    my thoughts too

This song is one of the 12 things I'd like to forget... I only made it's 2/3rd of the way through... Did the last third have any redeeming qualities?

Quote Originally Posted by awebert View Post
    This song is one of the 12 things I'd like to forget... I only made it's 2/3rd of the way through... Did the last third have any redeeming qualities?
    No it did not. I fail to hear anything interesting in this song.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

I thought HCE was really successful in the way it blended different elements of SW's music into a cohesive, flowing and (to me, at least) quite moving album.
    I keep an open ear for new music, but so far I'm more interested in the concept and packaging of TFB (however heavy-handed the message appears to be) than in the actual music. No auto-buy this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    No auto-buy this time.
    Ditto. I don't mind musicians stretching or experimenting. But when they're so patently not playing to their strengths it just leaves me scratching my head. It's almost like he's willfully trying to alienate a big chunk of his audience.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

HCE was my favorite SW album...

'12 Things' was pretty meh for me, but I don't hate 'Personal Shopper'; it seems at least to have a vibe and some urgency.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm starting to believe that Stevie made a bet with someone about who has the stupidest fans.

"My fans will buy anything. Look at this stupid concept ... I can even sell this crappy unbranded merch and they will kill each other to get it at stupid prices. They even like this crap pop music!"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by awebert View Post
    Oh yeah, it broke into 11/8 and a mellotron choir popped up with gentle arpeggios on a 12 string. Meanwhile, the organ played triplets.