Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson - New Music Coming? (2020?)

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    I thought that you were joking! Here are the credits from Youtube:

Credits:
    Steven Wilson - synthesisers/samplers, acoustic and electric guitars, percussion, vocals
    David Kosten - programming
    Elton John - voice
    Rotem Wilson - voice
    Nick Beggs - bass guitar
    Michael Spearman - drums
    Wendy Harriott, Bobbie Gordon, Crystal Williams - vocals
    Fyfe Dangerfield - vocals

We even get Steven's wife on vocals. Hopefully, she won't be playing keyboards at the shows.
    No Expanding Flan involvement this time?

3F617D3A-834C-410B-AF27-36199325D4A6.jpg

Decidedly different per the description on the latest Burning Shed newsletter...

Steven Wilson’s 2020 album The Future Bites is an exploration of how the human brain has evolved in the Internet era.

Featuring gorgeous electronic sounds warped by human intervention (King Ghost), soaring acoustics that headinto the stratosphere (12 Things I Forgot), relentless bass-driven Motorik grooves (Follower) and swampish, murky funk (Eminent Sleaze), it is SW’s most consistent work to date. The album was recorded in London and co-produced by David Kosten and Steven Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    3F617D3A-834C-410B-AF27-36199325D4A6.jpg

Decidedly different per the description on the latest Burning Shed newsletter...

Steven Wilson’s 2020 album The Future Bites is an exploration of how the human brain has evolved in the Internet era.

Featuring gorgeous electronic sounds warped by human intervention (King Ghost), soaring acoustics that headinto the stratosphere (12 Things I Forgot), relentless bass-driven Motorik grooves (Follower) and swampish, murky funk (Eminent Sleaze), it is SW’s most consistent work to date. The album was recorded in London and co-produced by David Kosten and Steven Wilson.
    I think all of that is taken right from SW's website, except instead of "most consistent work to date" his website actually says "most consistently brilliant work to date". So, Burning Shed actually toned it down a bit...

http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/new-sw-...2th-june-2020/

^^^ You realise he will have written all that blurb himself..

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    ^^^ You realise he will have written all that blurb himself..
    What makes you think that?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Where do you find the link to hear the song?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I've often wondered that. When I read the blurbs, I hear them in his voice. But, I've never seen any clarification one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Where do you find the link to hear the song?
    Post #149 on page 6.
    <sig out of order>

I read in an interview that he has written them in the past. Can't wait for the new interviews, he thinks he's chanelling Giorgio Moroder this time!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

cmon guys, the new song is good
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I read in an interview that he has written them in the past. Can't wait for the new interviews, he thinks he's chanelling Giorgio Moroder this time!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I've often wondered that. When I read the blurbs, I hear them in his voice. But, I've never seen any clarification one way or the other.
    Usually isn't it the label's PR people who write that marketing hype?

Usually isn't it the label's PR people who write that marketing hype?
    What difference does it make? You mean that Steven Wilson does not have approvement over everything that is published on his own website?
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

He doesn't call himself Wislon.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Wilson's downward slide away from prog
    Please explain how Up the Downstairs represents a downward slide away from prog, since you obviously know very, very much about this and can teach others. What happens in the interim between On the Sunday of Life and the followup that constitutes such a downward slide away from prog, and what does it tell us about what's prog? I mean, it's certain by your account that someone like Snarky Puppy only make for "boring jazz" while for instance recent Yes are truly true prog, so can't you press that acumen even harder to deduct what's essentially more prog on Sunday than on Downstairs? I can't wait to learn more about that prog, and especially since logic isn't my strong suit whereas it's very, very strong with you and almost as strong as the general knowledge of prog.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Post #149 on page 6.
    Thanks.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    What difference does it make? You mean that Steven Wilson does not have approvement over everything that is published on his own website?
    There's a big difference between allowing/approving someone else's writing something flattering about you, and then you writing something flattering about yourself (and from the third person perspective, no less). Think about it.

The tune sounds like a direct linear direction from To The Bone. It far removed from past work otherwise. I like the vocals but can't say I'm really getting into the rest of the song. It's clearly not progressive and likely represents Steven's effort to penetrate the masses with commercial music. My favourite music from Steven is most of Porcupine Tree. Not possible but if they reformed I don't thing they'd produce music like this. I did quite like To The Bone though. I'd have to listen to the whole album to make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It's clearly not progressive and likely represents Steven's effort to penetrate the masses with commercial music.
    My theory: SW woke up on his 50th birthday and said to himself, "Crap, I better start making money at this while I still can."
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I liked the opening segment. He's obviously using some of the sounds on the VST plug in that he is selling. I don't appreciate his falsetto or the disco/club feel of the main song. I said that about his pre-released tracks from the last album and they are still the songs I skip by when listening to it. Hopefully there will be other tracks on the album that harken back to why we all began listening to him in the first place.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

It sounds like Giorgio Moroder having drunk sex with Alan Parsons in the early 80s.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Here's the song for those who missed it on the other page...

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    You're in luck! The Super Deluxe boxed set includes a "19 MINUTE EXTENDED VERSION OF PERSONAL SHOPPER".
    Which according to the song falls under the category of "sh*t you don't need"

I took a listen today. Thought it was ok, and will need to hear a little more of the album. Felt like you were being lectured at the whole time.

It's not Prog-Rock or warmed over Pink Floyd, but for what it is, it's pretty good. He probably won't get a breakthrough with this, but you never know.