Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson - New Music Coming? (2020?)

There are some brief clips here, some of which I actually might like, In Floral Green sounds good too.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I fell bad for those who have no interest in this album and have no value. Getting off the bus. I have, fortunately, no hesitation whatsover. I quite like Roll The Bones and anticipate liking the new release.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I fell bad for those who have no interest in this album and have no value. Getting off the bus. I have, fortunately, no hesitation whatsover. I quite like Roll The Bones and anticipate liking the new release.
    Greg! Don't feel bad for me, buddy. I just don't like what I hear, and am not going to buy it automatically, due to past history. 2020 has been one of the best years for new music in recent memory, for my musical tastes at least. I can barely keep up with all the great new stuff coming out. I've just lost touch with SW, and don't enjoy his current direction. I'm so glad to hear that you like it, and I wish him all the success in the world, with it.

neil
    Last edited by boilk; 10-24-2020 at 01:53 PM.

I have found some things to like with pretty much everything Wilson has done. I will be getting this one also. There are albums of his (+PT, Blackfield, etc) that I have liked more than others, but there are none that I have totally disliked.

I quite like Roll The Bones and anticipate liking the new release.
    I guess you'll like Counterparts then!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I guess you'll like Counterparts then!!!
    Oops. To the Bone!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have found some things to like with pretty much everything Wilson has done. I will be getting this one also. There are albums of his (+PT, Blackfield, etc) that I have liked more than others, but there are none that I have totally disliked.
    I'm just glad to not carry baggage. I used to be so angry about 80s Genesis. Wanting to add negative comments to threads on the topic. I realized this was pointless as lots of PEers love all Genesis. In fact, I've learned to really appreciate Duke that has pop music on it.

I'm just glad to not carry baggage. I used to be so angry about 80s Genesis. Wanting to add negative comments to threads on the topic. I realized this was pointless as lots of PEers love all Genesis. In fact, I've learned to really appreciate Duke that has pop music on it.
    I didn't buy Duke for many years after because of Misunderstanding and Turn It on Again, when I finally got it I loved the rest. That was the last one though, Abacab was awful!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Here's the Lonely Robot original: https://youtu.be/as9Jf9je_-o
    John Mitchell did a beautiful job on it. Cannot imagine how SW could improve on it. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    John Mitchell did a beautiful job on it. Cannot imagine how SW could improve on it. We will see.
    Thanks! Having not heard of this John Mitchell project before yesterday, I've become an instant fan. I've been going through all 4 of their albums this weekend. Very impressive work.

I discovered Porcupine Tree's music inadvertently one day, and that was with the Coma Divine live album. After that I was hooked.
    But my last Steve Wilson anything purchase was Fear of a Blank Planet album because I felt the last couple of albums they did were sounding similar.
    I very rarely bring out any of those cds or watch the two live DVD's. All great music, but to me if you've heard the first couple, you can just listen to those.

Steve Wilson is tremendously talented, and I get the sense from some of the comments, people view this album as "he's sold out"..nope! don't see or hear that, it's still the same Steve Wilson who has been writing and recording very intelligent music and terrific sounding recordings.
    And what makes SW great to me, is the very thing that makes his PT material great is his desire to push himself, and to NOT be in a box or commercial.
    So if this is what he needs to do to express himself, then GOOD for him.
    I actually like the preview versions of the songs on the new album, and I think if people will give it time, they will grow on everyone(well most).
    But because they are so different, it will be hard for many fans to accept.

For those who are upset with Steve for not sounding like PT and he's flipped his fans the bird, I'm sorry you feel that way. And I don't think SW needs the money if folks decide to not buy this music.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    Thanks! Having not heard of this John Mitchell project before yesterday, I've become an instant fan. I've been going through all 4 of their albums this weekend. Very impressive work.
    John Mitchell is consistently good across all his groups/projects: LR, Kino, It Bites, Frost (haven't heard his work in Arena). It can be argued that he has a particular style that he brings to much of his work, which can sound too familiar at times, but I find it's all worthy of a listen. I've said the same about Wilson; I see them as related artists in many ways.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    That first Lonely Robot album was really good. Well, worth getting.

From Steven Wilson's Twitter feed:

"Tomorrow (26th October) I will be live streaming a conversation all about THE FUTURE BITES with my web guy @robskarin
    It will be streamed simultaneously on both my Facebook and YouTube channels at 9.30pm UK time."

[I think that would be 5:30pm ET, now that the UK has left summer time.]

https://twitter.com/StevenWilsonHQ/s...59217208266760

I received the Eminent Sleaze Record Store Day CD today from Burning Shed (fast trans-Atlantic transit from Burning Shed). The "In Floral Green" cover is very good, but it's nearly identical to the Lonely Robot version other than a short musical stretch prior to the final vocal passage. That's maybe not too surprising since John Mitchell and Craig Blundell both played on the track with Steven.

Good interview which explains SW's thinking behind the new album, still not sure I'm going to like much of it. Interesting that he took John Mitchell's backing track for In Floral Green so not surprising that it's similar.

By the way, In Floral Green and Eyewitness are also up on Youtube, I don't like the latter much either.

I played the interview in background while I worked today, it was interesting and he always gives a thoughtful analysis to his creative process. I think it says something that nobody is commentating on this though, he seems to have switched quite a few off with the new direction. I saw the new 12” in the record shop at the weekend but didn’t buy it as I’m not yet convinced myself, and don’t really need the bonus tracks. I’ll be content with a CD of this one I think.

I’m not sure I understand why the release has been so delayed, it’s not like next January sees the world return to normality.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post

I’m not sure I understand why the release has been so delayed, it’s not like next January sees the world return to normality.
    We know that now but when the delay was announced there was probably a feeling that things would be better in January. I guess there's no point now in delaying further.

I played the interview in background while I worked today, it was interesting and he always gives a thoughtful analysis to his creative process. I think it says something that nobody is commentating on this though, he seems to have switched quite a few off with the new direction. I saw the new 12” in the record shop at the weekend but didn’t buy it as I’m not yet convinced myself, and don’t really need the bonus tracks. I’ll be content with a CD of this one I think.

When the album was put back he cited manufacturing issues with the special edition and that they hadn't been able to record new promo videos under lockdown.

he seems to have switched quite a few off with the new direction.
    Haven't you been reading for the past 18 pages of this thread?

Another new song, King Ghost, better than the last two perhaps!

Sort of background music. Might be good to meditate to.

Yes a very different feel from the first two, darker and more in keeping with the Mr Chuckletrousers tag that has served him so well. Not a guitar in sight.

Just a daft observation, but it must have been decreed that every Cope one encounters must have a Christian name starting with J... Julian, Jos, Jess, John, Julie....

All these seem to be descendants of Story of I from To The Bone. Except that was catchier. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    All these seem to be descendants of Story of I from To The Bone. Except that was catchier. IMO
    Yes, exactly what I was thinking and that was my least favourite track apart from Permanating.