Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson - New Music Coming? (2020?)

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    PE may give you that impression but you just have to look on other sites and maybe check out the sales figures to realize that it's people who don't like the album who are the complete minority.

I do get the impression he has gained a lot of new fans from TTB, there seem to be a lot of fanboys who like Permanating on Instagram for example but where do you find sales figures for it?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I was thinking the exact some thing when I came here to post. People have to live with change. I'm in a complete minority but I love To The Bone.
    I really enjoy it too. I don't really care much what direction SW decides to go in for the next album, I just want it to be good. I don't expect Raven Part II. The dark symphonic mellotron stuff was done to death, IMO, after three albums of it. If he chooses to go back to that again, so be it, but I'd be surprised if he isn't a little tired of it himself. Time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I do get the impression he has gained a lot of new fans from TTB, there seem to be a lot of fanboys who like Permanating on Instagram for example but where do you find sales figures for it?
    I haven't actually seen the figures but I'm pretty certain each of his solo albums has sold more than the previous one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    I really enjoy it too. I don't really care much what direction SW decides to go in for the next album, I just want it to be good. I don't expect Raven Part II. The dark symphonic mellotron stuff was done to death, IMO, after three albums of it.
    Not sure which three albums you mean. "Grace For Drowning" had some, "The Raven" had a lot, but three albums ? Personally, I'd enjoy more of it, as "The Raven" is my favourite of his albums.

If he chooses to go back to that again, so be it, but I'd be surprised if he isn't a little tired of it himself.
    Oh, he's been pretty vocal about not wanting to do that sort of music anymore. He's not playing much of that album at all anymore, apart from the title track (the least "proggy" track on it), and has said that "The Raven" has become his least favourite of all his solo albums by a mile.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I haven't actually seen the figures but I'm pretty certain each of his solo albums has sold more than the previous one.
    Yes that's true for sure but that doesn't mean that people who don't like TTB are in the minority, it will be interesting to see what happens. There do seem to be a lot of SW fans who will like his next album regardless of what it's like - I am not one of them. I remain sceptical that he can suddenly change musical direction and then suddenly fill arenas, he might fall flat on his face.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Yes that's true for sure but that doesn't mean that people who don't like TTB are in the minority, it will be interesting to see what happens. There do seem to be a lot of SW fans who will like his next album regardless of what it's like - I am not one of them. I remain sceptical that he can suddenly change musical direction and then suddenly fill arenas, he might fall flat on his face.

Instead of speculating on how you think he's going to fail, or looking for "negative signs" based on what music he likes or who's not going to be in his band lineup, why not just wait and see what he does next -- and then decide whether you want to listen to it or not?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Instead of speculating on how you think he's going to fail, or looking for "negative signs" based on what music he likes or who's not going to be in his band lineup, why not just wait and see what he does next -- and then decide whether you want to listen to it or not?
    You are of course quite right. Silly of me to want to discuss it on a music discussion forum, I mean of all places!

One reason he may sell out some arenas is due to only playing 2-3 uk dates rather than the normal 10 or so.

Just to clarify, I am not one of those SW fans who will fully embrace anything he does either. If I don't like his next album it won't be a big deal for me.
    I doubt he is betting on the fact that he will win crowds over with the next record and fill arenas. He seems to be sensible and to calculate his moves. I believe the next tour was booked based on ticket sales of the previous one, not on hypothetical sales of the next album.

SW has every right to choose his own direction as does the SW fan have every right to not like the direction he's going. I'll always give his stuff a try because 'Grace For Drowning' is one of my favorite albums ever, but I'm not optimistic. Not at all a fan of the last one. Tons of music out there to turn to...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    SW has every right to choose his own direction as does the SW fan have every right to not like the direction he's going. I'll always give his stuff a try because 'Grace For Drowning' is one of my favorite albums ever, but I'm not optimistic. Not at all a fan of the last one. Tons of music out there to turn to...
    +1

neil

This maybe deserves its own thread, but I saw that Craig Blundell tweeted about his 2020 touring plans and he states that he will not be touring with Wilson. See http://craigblundell.com/2020-21-touring-commitments/ for details.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    This maybe deserves its own thread, but I saw that Craig Blundell tweeted about his 2020 touring plans and he states that he will not be touring with Wilson. See http://craigblundell.com/2020-21-touring-commitments/ for details.

Wilson is probably performing alone only with acoustic guitar and looper. Hair dyed red.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    Thanks for that.

Wilson posted a bizarre video on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter this morning for his upcoming new album, apparently titled "The Future Bites" (helpfully matching the already announced name for his autumn tour). I'm cautiously optimistic that this won't be a pop album.

^^^ And here it is. Make of it what you will but I think I like the concept.

^^^ And here it is. Make of it what you will but I think I like the concept.

I'll certainly want to hear some of it before I consider buying it, but the concept is certain interesting.

I really didn't hear the last album as a pop album either, though it certainly had couple tunes that qualified as "pop". Much like most of his other albums, come to think of it. That said, I found it disappointing as it was very stripped down musically and just really didn't appeal to me at all (unlike his previous 3 albums). I played it for my wife, who does like a great deal of pop music, and she didn't like it at all. To be fair though, she also liked his previous 3 albums and PTree most of all. Anyway, we'll see I guess.

Craig's a great drummer but hope Marco Minneman is brought back into the fold?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Craig's a great drummer but hope Marco Minneman is brought back into the fold?
    I'm pretty sure that won't happen.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Rumor has it SW and MM didn't part well, so don't expect that.

He's established a self-parody (?) website: http://thefuturebites.com/

Looks like the first preview is next Thursday (3/12). Will this be a weird electronic themed album?

On the ?fake? site, there are staff photos, including JEANETTE ADDISON, who looks like Steven Wilson morphed into an old woman. There is also a real ticket sales page. Weird doesn't get close to describing this preview. 🇬🇧🤔

I find it interesting that SW is going the "heavy concept" route for the next one, when the trend has been away from that for the last couple outings. And the sound design around this has me wondering if it's giving him an outlet for the kind of stuff he was doing as IEM.

But what's really burning me up is: which one is Nick Beggs, Anne Vanderbilt or Gideon Erickson?!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Jeepers, I really don't know what to make of this. Its an elaborate way to hype an album that's for sure.