Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson - New Music Coming? (2020?)

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    although I'm sure step daughters are different for a step dad.
    That might actually be worse--talk about going from the frying pan into the fire.

I really do love my own kids, by the way. Just that it's rarely all fuzziness and rainbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    So much for the despair and loneliness now. It's all puppies and kittens from here on out.
    there’s a new NO-MAN (sw & tim bowness) album about to be released called “love you to bits”. so there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    there’s a new NO-MAN (sw & tim bowness) album about to be released called “love you to bits”. so there you go.
    Yep, hopefully these clips relate to that, although you would think it would be on the No Man account. Perhaps SW is trying to advertise No Man to his wider audience. Its not for me though, I have loved all the NM albums since Returning Jesus and all of Tim Bowness's solo albums but the disco beats on this new one are a complete turn off.

From Steven Wilson Facebook page:

"Every time I make a new album, it's hugely important for me that it holds a unique place in my catalogue and won't simply be more of the same. Moving into the third decade of the 21st century and my second decade as a touring solo artist, it felt like time to apply the same philosophy to the live experience. I want to challenge myself to create something that confronts my own notions (and hopefully the audience's too) of how to present my music in a concert situation. This has become The Future Bites - a series of special events at larger venues, something on a grander and more immersive scale. I'm already hugely excited about them!"

Then a list of dates follow, starting from September 2020.

No, this is nothing to do with No Man as per the post above:

The Future Bites - September 2020:
    Thu 17th - Motorpoint Arena Nottingham, UK ����
    Sat 19th - The O2, London, UK ����
    Mon 21st - Zenith Paris - La Villette, France ����
    Wed 23rd - Mediolanum Forum, Milan, Italy ����
    Fri 25th - König-Pilsener-ARENA, Oberhausen, Germany ����
    Sat 26th - Sporthalle, Hamburg, Germany ����
    Mon 28th - Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam, Holland ����
    Weds 30th - COS Torwar, Warsaw, Poland ����

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    So maybe it's not puppies and kittens, but disco beats?
    <sig out of order>

I' not sure, but the No Man album may feature the definitive version of the infamous "disco epic" they've worked on for many years.
    And The Future Bites solo project also sounds disco-friendly, so this might be a specific phase in SW's career.

Tickets on sale for the European shows on 10/25 at 10am local time according to a note on his Facebook page. Committing to a concert a year out for an as yet unreleased album (of unknown genre) is risky for me. I know that big artists do this all of the time (e.g., McCartney or The Who), but in those instances one usually doesn't care if the new album is crap since you're expecting them to play lots of their back catalog. In Steven's case, I assume that his new album (will it really be called "The Future Bites"?!) will be central to his show.

So, I'm leaning towards going (what a surprise), but I'm challenged by the complicated pre-sale situation. According to his recent tweet, if one buys the super-limited edition vinyl release of the upcoming album, you get concert pre-sale access on 10/23 at 0930 local time. But, if you're just a regular person, than you can get pre-sale access at 1000 local time on the 23rd. The mystery to me is how does one get the "regular" pre-sale code and/or web site access for the O2 London show?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Yep, hopefully these clips relate to that, although you would think it would be on the No Man account. Perhaps SW is trying to advertise No Man to his wider audience. Its not for me though, I have loved all the NM albums since Returning Jesus and all of Tim Bowness's solo albums but the disco beats on this new one are a complete turn off.
    I liked the techno aspect of early No-Man myself

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    That might actually be worse--talk about going from the frying pan into the fire.

I really do love my own kids, by the way. Just that it's rarely all fuzziness and rainbows.
    True dat. I'm dad to two of my own but before that I was a young stepfather and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Long story that eventually worked out but what a bumpy ride.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Looks like I can skip this tour.

the future chews it

Not buying anything until I've heard the album first. Good luck with the 02, he certainly isn't lacking ambition!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Not buying anything until I've heard the album first. Good luck with the 02, he certainly isn't lacking ambition!
    I was surprised with the switch to larger venues. The O2 holds around 20,000, compared with the RAH's capacity of ~5500. I guess that by playing only a few shows at large venues, he figures that he can attract a significant crowd from elsewhere in the UK that might otherwise have attended a show nearer to their location (if he were playing shows throughout the country). It's seems like a significant gamble to me. Attendance will depend on how well the new album sells.

The London show's timing is fortunate for me since I expect to be in Manchester during the week prior to the show for a conference. So, I'd only need to take a train to London and come up with one or two days of extra lodging expenses.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Looks like a lovely family!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2ZzSLoAfkI/

Can Wilson be happy and still write depressing music? Will the Raven Who Refused To Sing be made into a children's pop-up picture book?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What he really wants is a house, a dog, and 5.1 kids.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What he really wants is a house, a dog, and 5.1 kids.
    Rimshot

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Can Wilson be happy and still write depressing music? Will the Raven Who Refused To Sing be made into a children's pop-up picture book?
    Yeah, when that announcement first came out I congratulated him but also asked, "But will she be able to put up with your weird taste in music?"
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It isn't really "new," but just out - A Talking Heads, Japan, Wire inspired vinyl EP. God -Panic Underneath The Arches. Recorded in the late 80s and early 90s, it's Wislon and one other guy. 3 tracks that they were able to salvage. (I know this one is not what the OP was referring to.)
    Searching for "God - Panic Underneath the Arches" gave me this.

A more focused search gave me this. I'm up checking it out, along with the new No-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    I was surprised with the switch to larger venues. The O2 holds around 20,000, compared with the RAH's capacity of ~5500. I guess that by playing only a few shows at large venues, he figures that he can attract a significant crowd from elsewhere in the UK that might otherwise have attended a show nearer to their location (if he were playing shows throughout the country). It's seems like a significant gamble to me. Attendance will depend on how well the new album sells.

The London show's timing is fortunate for me since I expect to be in Manchester during the week prior to the show for a conference. So, I'd only need to take a train to London and come up with one or two days of extra lodging expenses.
    Last time around he played the RAH three times, so simple maths says it is not such a stretch to move up to the RAH.... but.... I think 50% of the audience were so committed that they went to all three shows, so on that basis I think it’s a gamble.

I’m not minded to get tickets a year in advance for this one. I have seen plenty at the O2 but it’s a soulless place, and I prefer the ambience and connection of the RAH or any of the quality smaller venues I’ve seen him or PT in before. I had tickets for only the first RAH show last time, but ended up picking an additional one up on viagogo at a reasonable price on the day of the third gig. I’ll probably take my chances once I’ve heard the new material.

According to Reddit: Steven has known Rotem Rom (his new wife) for 18 years. He supposedly wrote "Gravity Eyelids" while he was with her at the beach in Israel in 2001.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    A more focused search gave me this. I'm up checking it out, along with the new No-Man.

Oh, well.

Plenty of other artists to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Last time around he played the RAH three times, so simple maths says it is not such a stretch to move up to the RAH.... but.... I think 50% of the audience were so committed that they went to all three shows, so on that basis I think it’s a gamble.

I’m not minded to get tickets a year in advance for this one. I have seen plenty at the O2 but it’s a soulless place, and I prefer the ambience and connection of the RAH or any of the quality smaller venues I’ve seen him or PT in before. I had tickets for only the first RAH show last time, but ended up picking an additional one up on viagogo at a reasonable price on the day of the third gig. I’ll probably take my chances once I’ve heard the new material.
    That's my plan too. Re the 02, I think it can be cut down in size, I remember when Rush last played there the attendance was about 13,000 so maybe he could manage that. I still think its a bit much though especially when we have no idea what the next album will be like and the clips so far do not sound promising.