Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson - New Music Coming? (2020?)

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    While I am sure you have some time, don't wait too long. The previous TFF box sets of The Hurting and Songs From The Big Chair have gone through two pressings, and the sets still command high dollar value on the secondary markets.
    Yeah, good point. I just ordered a few minutes ago from uDiscoverMusic since the official TFF store was sold out. Whew! I wouldn't want to pay through the nose to get this one, that's for sure. Although I probably would, if that was the only option.

Thanks for reminding me!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Because to the majority of people, people who don't make art, art just happens for them. The idea that artists change and their art changes with them is beyond most people's capacity to understand. If they can go to Amazon and buy music by Steven Wilson that sounds like Deadwing, then why can't he just make more music that sounds like that?

"Bring back Porcupine Tree" is ridiculous. It won't happen because it can't happen. Steven Wilson of 2020 is not Steven Wilson of 2005 or 1995. The best he could do is try to mimic the music he wrote when he was 19, 25, 30 years old. Is that what people want? Half-hearted attempts to mimic the music he made at another time in his life? Even whole-hearted? Like, stop making the music you want to make and start wanting to make music that we want you to make, even if you have to fake it.

It's just so damn silly.
    I'll up you one further. It's not like Porcupine Tree were some monolithic construct that plowed forward, unchanging over time and/or in response to trends. Play the average listener On the Sunday of Life and then The Incident and I guarantee you'll see them genuinely shocked that it was the same band. So whenever I hear hopes that PT would return I find myself wondering, "which one exactly?"
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'll up you one further. It's not like Porcupine Tree were some monolithic construct that plowed forward, unchanging over time and/or in response to trends. Play the average listener On the Sunday of Life and then The Incident and I guarantee you'll see them genuinely shocked that it was the same band. So whenever I hear hopes that PT would return I find myself wondering, "which one exactly?"
    This is also a good point.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yes, remember the story of “The Monkey’s Paw.”

Because to the majority of people, people who don't make art, art just happens for them. The idea that artists change and their art changes with them is beyond most people's capacity to understand. If they can go to Amazon and buy music by Steven Wilson that sounds like Deadwing, then why can't he just make more music that sounds like that?

"Bring back Porcupine Tree" is ridiculous. It won't happen because it can't happen. Steven Wilson of 2020 is not Steven Wilson of 2005 or 1995. The best he could do is try to mimic the music he wrote when he was 19, 25, 30 years old. Is that what people want? Half-hearted attempts to mimic the music he made at another time in his life? Even whole-hearted? Like, stop making the music you want to make and start wanting to make music that we want you to make, even if you have to fake it.

It's just so damn silly.
    Agreed,it's like expecting and ever hoping that Yes could create another Close To The Edge, never going to happen!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Why couldn't Porcupine Tree return with new style? I am amazed that some people think that it is somehow impossible for them top return. The Beatles they are not. I of course understand that currently mr. Wilson does not have much incentive to bring PT back but that might change some day.

Disclaimer: I have been HUGE Porcupine Tree fan but I don't really care anymore. Of course I would check their new album out as I also check whatever mr. Wilson chooses to do even though he has been out of my auto-buy -list for few years now.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Why couldn't Porcupine Tree return with new style? I am amazed that some people think that it is somehow impossible for them top return. The Beatles they are not. I of course understand that currently mr. Wilson does not have much incentive to bring PT back but that might change some day.

Disclaimer: I have been HUGE Porcupine Tree fan but I don't really care anymore. Of course I would check their new album out as I also check whatever mr. Wilson chooses to do even though he has been out of my auto-buy -list for few years now.
    This is the perfect fan response of someone subconsciously saying "I get he doesn't want to do PT again, but I really really really want him to!"
    It's as ridiculous as wanting Genesis with Gabriel to get together

Exactly!

I want the PT that sounds like "Eminent Sleaze" to return.

The best insight I've heard on this question comes from Robert Fripp who said, probably 10-15 years ago, in response to a question about getting calls from promoters about interest in a KC '69 reunion (I'm paraphrasing): If I felt that particular collection of individuals would be able to make the best music possible that I believe should be made at the present time, I would be calling them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    This is the perfect fan response of someone subconsciously saying "I get he doesn't want to do PT again, but I really really really want him to!"
    It's as ridiculous as wanting Genesis with Gabriel to get together
    I don't know what did you read but that is not what I wrote. Or meant. I know that I don't write perfect English but damn... I would be willing to bet that you misunderstood me on purpose. I just don't understand why. Have I offended your hero Steven Wilson or something?

I don't know what did you read but that is not what I wrote. Or meant. I know that I don't write perfect English but damn... I would be willing to bet that you misunderstood me on purpose. I just don't understand why. Have I offended your hero Steven Wilson or something?
    Nope, I was just thinking you actually want PT to get back together, am I not correct?

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    Nope, I was just thinking you actually want PT to get back together, am I not correct?
    No, you are wrong. What I meant that I wouldn't be at all suprised if some day Wilson brings Porcupine Tree back as reunions are lucrative business. And IF he does I am as interested to check it out as I am any other Wilson project. This is not so complicated.

No, you are wrong. What I meant that I wouldn't be at all suprised if some day Wilson brings Porcupine Tree back as reunions are lucrative business. And IF he does I am as interested to check it out as I am any other Wilson project. This is not so complicated.
    Ok

Why couldn't Porcupine Tree return with new style?
    Of course they could. Of course the musicians that were in PT 15 years ago could get together and make music. And if that was all people were asking for, that would be a totally relevant.

Do you really think all the people shitting on the music Wilson is making now and clamoring for a PT reunion want a PT reunion that doesn't sound like the PT they're clamoring for?

Of course they could. Of course the musicians that were in PT 15 years ago could get together and make music. And if that was all people were asking for, that would be a totally relevant.

Do you really think all the people shitting on the music Wilson is making now and clamoring for a PT reunion want a PT reunion that doesn't sound like the PT they're clamoring for?
    Exactly.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

To my ears, both the new Wilson platter and the last No-Man have some similar DNA so even if PT DID appear at this point, given that Wilson is the driver by and large...it would probably simply be another variation on where he's already at, creatively speaking.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

What might be interesting, is if one day...way down the road, SW pulled something akin to what Robert Fripp is doing with Crimson and celebrated all his material (PT, solo, Blackfield, No-Man, Bass Communion, Storm Corrosion, whatever else I might be forgetting, lol), by putting together a big band and putting new and/or more elaborate spins on everything. I'd go and see that.

neil

Steven Wilson has always been the driving force of Porcupine Tree, so what he's doing now is what he would do if the guys in PT still played with him... so I don't get what people expect to hear different in a PT reunion? I think people just want to hear the old PT songs played live again.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    What might be interesting, is if one day...way down the road, SW pulled something akin to what Robert Fripp is doing with Crimson and celebrated all his material (PT, solo, Blackfield, No-Man, Bass Communion, Storm Corrosion, whatever else I might be forgetting, lol), by putting together a big band and putting new and/or more elaborate spins on everything. I'd go and see that.

neil
    Sounds like a good idea, I like most things that he's done over the years. He led me to music that I would not have otherwise listened to like No Man & Tim Bowness, Bass Communion and I love the Blackfield albums too. By the way, I don't really want PT back either, they had their time and did their thing, I have enjoyed his solo works even more, until now..

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post

neil
    in 2009, Luis Alberto Spinetta knew he was dying, he reunited with all his bands, Almendra, Invisible, Jade, Pescado Rabioso and his main collaborations, like the one with Charly Garcia ( la Maquina de hacer pajaros) and a long list.

Almost 5 hours, the whole concert, 40 thousand people attended, huge planning it took.

Here it is, Maybe Wilson will like the idea ( without the dying part)

I believe that Wilson knows & appreciates that PT still has a significant fanbase. The last concert I attended (TTB tour) had the entire second half devoted to PT songs. He is also releasing PT live music on Bandcamp currently.

Being a glutton for punishment, I pre-ordered the "Eminent Sleaze" Record Store Day EP release on CD from BurningShed. It contains two extra non-album tracks, Eyewitness and In Floral Green. I held out hope that perhaps these additional tracks might be interesting. If not, I figured that I could always re-sell the CD on eBay at a handsome profit.

Today, my hopes were dashed. Wilson announced that due to "unprecedented demand" the CD would be re-pressed and that the two additional tracks would also show up on a TFB b-sides digital collection (oh joy!). The good news is that Wilson's video snippet contains a few seconds of each song. In Floral Green sounds very interesting, given my currently low expectations.

https://twitter.com/StevenWilsonHQ/s...96153848139778

Last edited by jefftiger; 2 Days Ago at 10:17 AM.

^^ I hope that you enjoy it, man. Having listened to that snippet, I'm so far off the bus, that I can't even see the dust in the distance, lol.

I wish him every success with this, though. He deserves it.

neil

I was doing some Google research on the song "In Floral Green". It turns out that Wilson's version is a cover of the original Lonely Robot composition (a John Mitchell project). It's a pleasant song. I'm not familiar with Lonely Robot. I'm going to listen some more to them.