Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson - New Music Coming? (2020?)

Filmed in London just before lockdown, this is a 4 minute short film using temporary actors to show the concept of the film And No Birds Sing, written by Mike Bennion and Steven Wilson. Directed by Mike Bennion, produced by Gaby Whyte Hart, sound design by Steven Wilson. Due to be cast and in production by late 2021.

And No Birds Sing is a story that crosses genres, having aspects of Psychological Thriller, Horror and Mystery. Reality merges with film and the supernatural when a London director starts to experience strange events and is forced to confront his troubled past. The film blurs the lines of reality, memory and fiction where sound constantly motivates the twists and turns of the action.

Zombie Porcupine Tree!

Seriously, I hope the film gets made.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

This sounds more like it

New video from the upcoming album: "Eminent Sleaze"

This musical approach isn't working for me. It seems similar to the first preview track, Personal Shopper.

Notes:

• I never want to see Wilson attempt to do "strike a pose" again.
    • Not a fan of naive "future gonna be BAD" dystopia by-the-numbers concept work.
    • Actually, all that being said...the song is pretty good. Definitely mainstream, almost slightly disco. But, I wouldn't immediately change the station if this tune came on If he's trying to make a play for a wider audience, he's probably on the right track. He'll lose folks here for sure, but I doubt that's high on his priority list (no insult intended to either him or anyone here).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Pretty much everything SW has done post PT has disappointed me, this doesn't change change my opinion.

Bring back Porcupine Tree

I really don't know what he's doing, there seems to be a sad irony with the concept too, it's not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    This musical approach isn't working for me. It seems similar to the first preview track, Personal Shopper.
    Someone in the YT comments captures my feeling:
    Too boring for a prog music. And, ironically, too boring for a pop music.
    I'm still trying to figure out what he's going for with TFB. The closest I can come is Prince meets Pet Shop Boys.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Someone in the YT comments captures my feeling:

I'm still trying to figure out what he's going for with TFB. The closest I can come is Prince meets Pet Shop Boys.
    Maybe he's going to lure in the Prince and PSB fans and then for the next album hit them with some prog/jazz/metal fusion

I more or less enjoyed the first track that came out. Not this one.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Not good. I don't like the title, the lyrics, the music or the video. I was hoping his pop venture would be more in the intelli-pop direction like TFF, Jellyfish, XTC, Talk Talk, etc.
    Chad

He’s a clever chap so he has to know this will not play well with his hard won fan base. It’s a tough time to try and crack a new market, so I’m utterly confused by the direction. I love a wide range of popular music (and prog), including all the reference points being quoted, but I do not really need a new take on them. It’s not awful, the production values are high, I like the bass, it’s just not what we want from Mr Wilson after all of these decades.

The 10cc/Godley & Creme influence is strong here. I like it better than Shopper, but I wouldn't want a whole album of this.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

I like the new one better than the first release. Not my cuppa, won't be purchasing, but kudos to SW for putting it out there and following his own muse. BTW, the podcast he's doing with Tim Bowness (The Album Years) is entertaining and worth a listen. I'm reminded of it because the theme music is built around the string sample from Eminent Sleaze.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Not good. I don't like the title, the lyrics, the music or the video. I was hoping his pop venture would be more in the intelli-pop direction like TFF, Jellyfish, XTC, Talk Talk, etc.
    That would be great, though I haven't seen/heard anything in his past work that is in that ballpark so maybe it's just not in him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    That would be great, though I haven't seen/heard anything in his past work that is in that ballpark so maybe it's just not in him.
    That's exactly what I thought.

I liked the new tune. It could be a To The Bone leftover..... I'm a little tired of the future dystopia angle though. It's like the modern version of those early 80s vids with the post apocalyptic, Mad Max theme. Except in those, everyone managed to rock out and dance despite the wreckage.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post

I can't think of a single positive thing to say about this. Frankly it's just terrible. I know he's trying hard to be relevant in the mainstream, so maybe those listeners will go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinaltap View Post
    Pretty much everything SW has done post PT has disappointed me, this doesn't change change my opinion.

Bring back Porcupine Tree
    ....About as likely as Pink Floyd reuniting WITH Richard Wright.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I thought it was excellent. It's silly to say his only musical value was with Porpcupine Tree. I like it when an artist stretches, To The Bone was a strong effort to stretch musical boundaries. So is the current music.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yep.

I have liked Steven’s solo music much more than the last Porcupine Tree album (The Incident just didn’t do anything for me). But he’s never going to come out with an album of sophistipop like Simply Red or Swing Out Sister, for example. That’s just not who he is, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Accurate!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I thought it was excellent. It's silly to say his only musical value was with Porpcupine Tree. I like it when an artist stretches, To The Bone was a strong effort to stretch musical boundaries. So is the current music.
    How can a prog fan not like Raven and HCE? Among the best of the decade and even better live with his killer band. To the Bone tour was also great live.

OK, so while I don't totally love this, what is he supposed to do? Make another Raven 2.0 or Fear of a Blank Planet II? Even if he made an album that had some Henry Cow, Thinking Plague, and Upsilon Acrux-type elements all blended together like a musical strawberry milkshake, hasn't that already been done too? Or an album that sounded like Wobbler circa-2013? Would that make you happier? Would it be 'cooler' because HE hasn't made music in that style before, so it automatically becomes original for him? I don't really have the answer myself, except maybe to do what he is doing - because it is obviously what he wants his art to be at this point and he is enjoying himself (I would assume), right? The guy doesn't rest on his laurels, which I think is a great trait to possess so one doesn't get caught in a musical vacuum, no? It worked for Zappa, why can't Willy Stevenson live out his days making different music every time out? Lotta' questions there, right?

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Accurate!
    You can even throw in with The original Beatles opening for them