Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson - New Music Coming? (2020?)

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I haven't seen an announcement by SW but I've just been notified that the September concert I had a ticket for has been cancelled. I guess I could see it coming with the album being pushed back but it's now official.
    Actually they just sent me another email saying the previous one was a mistake. So it looks like the tour is still happening as of now.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nashorn View Post
    Elton John sang on one song of that album (Snowed In On Wheeler Street). The voiceover on the title song was done by Stephen Fry.
    That's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    although the new album has been pushed back to early 2021, Steven has been making a fun new podcast with Tim Bowness about Album Years.

https://anchor.fm/the-album-years?fb...nz-W-fv0uoGh6A
    2021? I thought it was pushed back to this Fall? I've preordered an album that isn't coming out till next year? Steven, stop taking care of your puppy and get back to work!

BTW, has anyone received the In Absentia reissue yet? I think I skipped the insurance so I may be waiting a bit longer than some.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    BTW, has anyone received the In Absentia reissue yet? I think I skipped the insurance so I may be waiting a bit longer than some.
    There's an In Absentia reissue?

I had no idea. That was the album that introduced me to Porcupine Tree all the way back in 2003, so even though it isn't my favorite (not by quite a margin) it does hold a special place for me.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

I had no idea. That was the album that introduced me to Porcupine Tree all the way back in 2003, so even though it isn't my favorite (not by quite a margin) it does hold a special place for me.
    Ummm...is it Deadwing? I forget! I think it's In Absentia (that wasn't my favorite period there - but I might like it more now).

Ok, it IS In Absentia. And I should have received my copy by now! I just emailed Burning Shed to check. I didn't go for the courier service, so with regular airmail or whatever it might just be delayed because of Coronavirusination, but it's been a month... I think it's bull that they're not responsible if your order doesn't arrive and you didn't pay extra for courrier service. If it's mandatory in order to receive your purchase, then include it in the price and take that hit. I'm not in the retail business, it's their responsibility to get it to me no matter what, the same way it's my responsibility to make sure the payment gets to them. Dammit!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-24-2020 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    2021? I thought it was pushed back to this Fall?
    January 2021 AFAIK

January 2021 AFAIK
    So the gigs are happening 4 months before the album is released now. Maybe they're waiting to be forced to postpone them so they don't incur financial penalties?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Nice article about his remixes incl. a list of them.

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/...classic-albums

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    So the gigs are happening 4 months before the album is released now. Maybe they're waiting to be forced to postpone them so they don't incur financial penalties?
    Interesting thought! I checked the O2 website. It's still being used as an NHS training centre. Some October events have been postponed until next year, but some other autumn events are still currently scheduled to happen. I would be very surprised if the Wilson concert took place in September, given both the ongoing Covid-19 situation and the timing of the album release. Putting on a major production, presumably emphasizing his new music, several months in advance of the album's release, doesn't seem like a good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

Came out a couple of months back. Here's my take on the contents:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....-edition-2020/

I think it's interesting that, thanks to Steven Wilson, we get to relive the prog goes pop debate of the early 80s which I was too young to experience when it happened.
    How on Earth is this "[…] thanks to Steven Wilson"? There have been dozens and dozens of actually established and substantial artists igniting that discussion - also here in PE these past 10-15 years - most of whom were bigger names in the general annales of rock/pop music than him/PTree - although "prog-internal" voices might not sanction this due to Wilson's "logical knot of connection", i.e. his work with remixing old and established names.

Wasn't it rather thanks to Radiohead, Tortoise, Stereolab, Sigur Rós, Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, Muse, Tool, Mastodon or others? In what sense did Steven Wilson - whom I followed myself from beginnings in 1989 - outdo all of these.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    How on Earth is this "[…] thanks to Steven Wilson"? There have been dozens and dozens of actually established and substantial artists igniting that discussion - also here in PE these past 10-15 years - most of whom were bigger names in the general annales of rock/pop music than him/PTree - although "prog-internal" voices might not sanction this due to Wilson's "logical knot of connection", i.e. his work with remixing old and established names.

Wasn't it rather thanks to Radiohead, Tortoise, Stereolab, Sigur Rós, Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, Muse, Tool, Mastodon or others? In what sense did Steven Wilson - whom I followed myself from beginnings in 1989 - outdo all of these.
    I was wondering how you let this one slip by you. Damn that Covid-19!

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I was wondering how you let this one slip by you. Damn that Covid-19!
    I managed to spill half a glass of Scotch on the keyboard of my PC in pure frustration last night, and was up at 05:00 to fetch a laptop off one of my colleagues at work to bring home. I'm usually never at my workplace on a Saturday, but this somehow had to happen.

Oh, well. I spun Up the Downstairs, The Sky Moves Sideways (the first CD I ever bought; I was a latecomer to the format back in '94) and In Absentia over drinks. The first two hold up quite well. Those were great days for this stuff (1990-95).
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

You just can't help it can you?
    You just have to pick on everything I say even if it's a 6 month old post, and impress us all with your incredible knowledge of music and how you're better than us because you've followed SW since his early tapes.
    All your exemples are valid and my statement wasn't excluding them. All I'm saying is that we get to relive this tired debate once again with SW who seems to draw most of the attention of prog circles these days, like it or not. "Thanks to..." was ironic, maybe that wasn't clear.

^ Ok. I apologize if I offended you.

You just have to impress us all with your incredible knowledge of music and how you're better than us
    No. That's not what it's about.

Maybe in the sense that leFrog likes Wilson's music more than those others.

and In Absentia over drinks.
    I admire your tenacity. I wouldn't be able to listen to its entirety, unless I was bitten by a poisonous snake.

A greater waste of drinks than the Scotch on your PC.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Oh, well. I spun Up the Downstairs, The Sky Moves Sideways (the first CD I ever bought; I was a latecomer to the format back in '94) and In Absentia over drinks. The first two hold up quite well. Those were great days for this stuff (1990-95).
    The Sky Moves Sideways was my first PT album, back around '97 or '98. I had caught up to their catalog by time In Absentia came out. I liked In Absentia but I felt Wilson was sliding into a rut by Deadwing. FoaBP and The Incident are rarely visited.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    The Sky Moves Sideways was my first PT album, back around '97 or '98. I had caught up to their catalog by time In Absentia came out. I liked In Absentia but I felt Wilson was sliding into a rut by Deadwing. FoaBP and The Incident are rarely visited.
    Agreed, my first album was Signify and up to In Absentia I think was their best period, the latter albums not so much.

Wow, so much dislike for In Absentia. That was my first PT album, and I still feel the song writing is exemplary, and it remains at, or near, the top of the heap by them, for me. Trains, Blackest Eyes, Gravity Eyelids...a whole slew of classic tracks...IMO, at least.

neil

Was my First PT Album also, loved it then and still do.

This morning, I saw on Facebook and other social media an announcement from Steven regarding the cancellation of his autumn live shows. This wasn't terribly surprising. Minutes ago, I received an email from See Tickets stating that my refund was processing (for the cancelled London show). I hope that he's able to reschedule for sometime in 2021, but the world needs to change before that can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    This morning, I saw on Facebook and other social media an announcement from Steven regarding the cancellation of his autumn live shows. This wasn't terribly surprising. Minutes ago, I received an email from See Tickets stating that my refund was processing (for the cancelled London show). I hope that he's able to reschedule for sometime in 2021, but the world needs to change before that can happen.
    Interesting, cancelled rather than postponed...

Since he only announced a few Euro dates anyway I was wondering how on earth that would be viable in the first place? Maybe he was going to announce further US dates but that seems highly unlikely even for next year now so maybe he's just scrubbed the whole thing. Couldn't see him filling the 02 anyway...

Edit/update: The French show seems to be postponed to next year so maybe it will be rescheduled after all - in smaller venues I would guess.

I think most artists/promoters/venues are in a wait and see mode at this time.
    No one wants to go first and find out the hard way what the "new concert world" is like.
    A year out is less chancy than 6 months of maybe.
    I sure hope he makes it to the US. I always enjoy his shows.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain