Thread: Michel Altmeyer - Troll Volume 2. - rerelease ?

Michel Altmeyer - Troll Volume 2. - rerelease ?

What happened to the CD rerelease of this album ?

Zeuhl music, mostly Magma musicians - way too good to be forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqRlpPuGBbk

https://www.discogs.com/Michel-Altma...elease/2754143
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 10-19-2019 at 03:29 AM.

Did anyone ever find out where Volume One made of itself? I could never locate it. The album as such isn't very good (IMO), apart from "Breakup-Dance" which can also be found on the Enneade Musea Zeuhl sampler.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I never heard the whole thing, but from the first youtube-sampler-video above, it sounds promising.

There was also talk, a few years back, of a brand new Troll album. I remember seeing a teaser video from a studio session (with Altmayer's son ?) but I can't locate it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Did anyone ever find out where Volume One made of itself? I could never locate it. The album as such isn't very good (IMO), apart from "Breakup-Dance" which can also be found on the Enneade Musea Zeuhl sampler.
    Years ago at Baja Prog I spoke to "sorry, can't remember his name" from Musea Records. He told me there never was a Volume 1 and that the CD was called Volume 2 alluding to the fact it was a second try at making a record. Maybe he was referring to the 5 demos that were not on the CD that are floating around. Then there's the 2 bonus tracks from Volume 2 ("No Surrender" and "Solaris Eterna"). There's also a couple of live shows that feature music not on the CD. Still more - a couple of tracks on the Jean Pascal Boffo "Carillons" were leftover Troll tracks. And if you are a Altmayer fan there's also the Mandragore CD "A Revivre Le Futur" you might want to lay your hands on.

I recommend the song "Ankh" from Volume 2 as it has some fantastic powerful violin and some great punctuating horns based on the hypnotic rhythm of "Zess". And the demos feature a track based on the synthesizer solo / melody riff from "Theusz Hamtaahk"

As for a follow up to the CD I was also told by Musea to "not hold my breath".... it may have been just a pipe dream....

^ CD? Discogs only lists an LP. I missed this one at the time, and I used to buy LPs direct from Musea in the late 80s. No recollection of this one at all...

^ Moe, it has a wonderful pic of Altmayer 'the man' sporting a white silk shirt and croonin' through a mike on the front. And to be honest, that's what most of the record sounds like as well. Except for "Breakup-Dance", which is phenomenal.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I have that LP somewhere, haven't listen to it for ages.

But I remember that I wasn't impressed back than. With all those Magma guys on it I expected much more.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ CD? Discogs only lists an LP. I missed this one at the time, and I used to buy LPs direct from Musea in the late 80s. No recollection of this one at all...
    The first youtube link sez:

17. apr. 2017
    "Welcome Records presents the upcoming Troll Vol.2 reissue.
    Originally recorded in 1987/1988, this album has been remixed and remasterised at Studio Baal Productions (Metz/France)
    Michel Altmayer: drums, piano, keys, "

But it seems that it never happened.

I remember to even have seen the new cover somewhere for the reissue which looked much better that the original one (which wasn't to hard though)

P.S. Found it

I've heard all tracks + some extras (I dont know the origin) now.

Its musically mostly in the vicinity of Magma: Merci/Bobino/Retrospektïẁ III, or Offering - or perhaps Patrick Gauthiers first album.
    Zeuhl'ish motown?

Anyway - I like it.

I did come across a reissue recently (released feb 17 2020 according to a bootleg russian site) that has 1 bonus track "Like a Rainbow" (8:26). I've never seen or heard that track before.... so I'm still curious as to the 2 bonus tracks that were listed as being on the reissue? I previously thought they were "No Surrender" and "Solaris Eterna" but I've only seen them on the facebook or bandcamp page as I recall. Bottom line... after all these years waiting all we get is one 8m song.

Many years back I described this album as 'Manilow meets Magma', and the label still sticks in my head. Got the record again from a secondhand shop here in Oslo, and It's certainly not one of the memorable Zeuhl releases from that 1st. generation. Although I can see how someone would catch the idea of actually attempting to "pop up" the whole concept.

Musique Noise were onto the same stuff during the mid-80s, and obviously also hearing bands like Propaganda, but to be fair these weren't the most convincing acts out there (although I really like those unreleased demos for MNoise's second record later issued on CD by Musea).