Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundcloud Share Thread

For the Glory

Here is a song I recorded in 2019 over the summer, and have made mix tweaks on since then. I'm working on a few more and hope to release them as an album... sometime, maybe this year or early 2022.
    Three guitar solos in this one. Last weekend I was recording guitar solos in another song. Solos are difficult. I am starting to think that songs I write going forward will have a single guitar solo, not a long extended jam but a brief, to the point solo.

Parts of this song are ideas I had as far back as the 1980s, such as the intro. I envisioned that as a sort of a jam section. I finally put these ideas I had decades ago together with some guitar riffs I wrote for the song just in the last couple of years and completed the song.
    This was the first song in which I used my Rickenbacker 4003SW 5 string bass. The song has floating electronic sections, wailing lead guitar, a little ambient guitar in the middle instrumental section, and guitars playing riffs - all the stuff I enjoy writing and playing.

The lyrics of the song came from an idea a former fellow band member had. He suggested doing a concept album based on the settling of people on Polynesian islands. He'd seen a documentary that IIRC mentioned that not a lot is known about where they migrated from or why they settled on islands. I thought "People don't just up and leave their homes, take their families with them across the ocean to find a new place to live just to see what's out there. What's the most common reason people leave their homes and look for a new land to live in?" and I had the subject for my song.
    Last edited by Distance of Man 1; 01-13-2021 at 07:15 AM.

^^Pretty Awesome^^
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Impressive effort! Well thought out and produced!
    The Present Day Composer refuses to DIE!

A really nice and enjoyable song! The arrangement is thrilling and much more intricate than many modern prog songs!! Great vocals and vocal arrangement too! Also, the production is a few notches up and quite "record ready"!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    Also, the production is a few notches up and quite "record ready"!
    It's great to hear your comments on the arrangement. That lets me know my song writing is headed in the right direction.
    Your comment about the production is also very valuable feedback. There are a few minor tweaks I still want to make to this song. But this lets me know that my recording and mixing skills have improved, and the equipment upgrades I have made are resulting in better sound. Thank you for the feedback!

demo of a new solo piece I just finished writing/recording

Greetings,

I hope everyone is doing well. As I just completed a working demo for the first "ensemble" piece of my upcoming debut album and posted the results on SoundCloud, I thought I'd go ahead and share the track with everyone here:

Though a rough mix with minimal FX (no EQ) and a placeholder solo, I think this demo captures the essence of the piece pretty well. For those who are inclined to check it out, I sincerely hope you enjoy the tune.

Thanks a lot and best wishes,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Greetings,

I hope everyone is doing well. As I just completed a working demo for the first "ensemble" piece of my upcoming debut album and posted the results on SoundCloud, I thought I'd go ahead and share the track with everyone here:

Alan
    That is quite good. Great melodies in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Distance of Man 1 View Post
    That is quite good. Great melodies in there.
    Thanks very much, Robert! All the best. -Alan

Greetings,

Though a rough mix with minimal FX (no EQ) and a placeholder solo, I think this demo captures the essence of the piece pretty well. For those who are inclined to check it out, I sincerely hope you enjoy the tune.

Alan
    Sounds great, reminds me of Pekka Pohjola.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Sounds great, reminds me of Pekka Pohjola.
    Thank you very much, Renate! As you know, Pekka is one of my musical heroes so I consider this a very high compliment.

Cheers,

Alan

Thank you very much, Renate! As you know, Pekka is one of my musical heroes so I consider this a very high compliment.

Cheers,

Alan
    He is one of my heroes as well and I think I heard some influence.

Here is a very old composition, I wrote in 1979. I is probably my first composition, at least it is the first that is really completed. It was written for marimba, vibes and synthesizer. I had recorded it before, but this time I used a better program. For marimba and vibes I used the Nord G2 Engine. For the synthesizer I used the virtual MiniMoog from Arturia, with a sound I created myself.

Here's a little something for Valentines Day. A taste of Old New Orleans with a small Miles Davis influence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Here's a little something for Valentines Day. A taste of Old New Orleans with a small Miles Davis influence.

Very nice, though I'm a bit lss charmed by the trumpet-sound.

got a great submission on the guitar challenge thread I started. Where are the rest of you? This one's a real winner from Ross but I know you guys are up to the challenge.

https://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/26641-Guitar-Challenge/page2?highlight=soundcloud

Greetings,

Alan
    That's some really beautiful music there, Alan! Doing something different these days?

Cheers!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andyyyy View Post
    That's some really beautiful music there, Alan! Doing something different these days?

Cheers!

Andy
    Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for your very nice words! In addition to working on new Advent music (slowly, due to the pandemic and associated difficulties), I'm making a concerted effort to get my first solo album done as quickly as possible. Hopefully it will be ready for release within the next year or so.

Cheers and I hope all is well!

Alan

Alan:

Great song! Looking forward to the album.

"Time Machine - Open Road Ahead" is a recent original Rush/Neil Peart tribute song I recorded with my brother Dan producing/mixing playing guitar and synth, Robin Schell on vocals, and Alan Scott playing the first guitar solo. I am playing keys, NS Chapman Stick and Zendrum.

Last edited by jcub; 03-04-2021 at 04:51 PM.

I'm not a Rush fan, so please take my comments in consideration of that. Yes, it sounds like Geddy very much in the beginning, but then you start channeling Jon Anderson and post 90125 Yes (and that's pretty a good thing to a non-Rush lover). Overall I like the whole song, the breaks and the solo's. Sounds like a lot of work went into that.

Greetings,

Alan
    Nice work here Alan. I love how the piece builds up over time. Definitely an exercise in patience(for most musicians to resist the temptation to jump right in), but you methodically add each instrument over time to complete the ensemble.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by jcub View Post
    Alan:

Great song! Looking forward to the album.

"Time Machine - Open Road Ahead" is a recent original Rush/Neil Peart tribute song I recorded with my brother Dan producing/mixing playing guitar and synth, Robin Schell on vocals, and Alan Scott playing the first guitar solo. I am playing keys, NS Chapman Stick and Zendrum.

Hi Jeremy. How's everything going? Thanks a lot for the kind words about my piece. Really enjoyed your Rush/Neil Peart tribute track as well (and nice seeing you working with Dan here too).

Best wishes and I hope all is well,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Nice work here Alan. I love how the piece builds up over time. Definitely an exercise in patience(for most musicians to resist the temptation to jump right in), but you methodically add each instrument over time to complete the ensemble.
    Hi Richard,

Thanks very much for your very kind feedback on my tune. Really happy to hear that you enjoyed it.

All the best,

Alan

Hi Jeremy. How's everything going? Thanks a lot for the kind words about my piece. Really enjoyed your Rush/Neil Peart tribute track as well (and nice seeing you working with Dan here too).

Best wishes and I hope all is well,

Alan
    Thanks, Alan! We are doing well and hope you are too! I have recorded a few other tracks with Dan and Robin that I will post at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I'm not a Rush fan, so please take my comments in consideration of that. Yes, it sounds like Geddy very much in the beginning, but then you start channeling Jon Anderson and post 90125 Yes (and that's pretty a good thing to a non-Rush lover). Overall I like the whole song, the breaks and the solo's. Sounds like a lot of work went into that.
    Thanks very much, Bob. I credit Robin for the vocal arrangements - he blew me away with the idea. I tend to start out with repeating the melody in all the verses and he is creative enough to come up with really nice variations. Dan's playing, mixing and production took the song to a much higher level - he came up with the intro/outro idea along with the various sounds. The guitar solos from Alan Scott and Dan are the icing on the cake. I don't get to play with Dan in person very often but I gig (well, did gig pre-COVID) with Alan Scott's band. He is an incredible musician and worth checking out - he has two great (non-prog) albums and just released a new song today on YouTube.

“Analogy Reality” (Proggish Rock)

“Analogy Reality” is a bit on the heavier side with Prog elements. The piece piece features Robin Schell on vocals and Dan Cubert on guitar, synth, mix/production. I am playing NS Stick, Zendrum, organ, and synth.