Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819

Thread: Soundcloud Share Thread

For the Glory

Here is a song I recorded in 2019 over the summer, and have made mix tweaks on since then. I'm working on a few more and hope to release them as an album... sometime, maybe this year or early 2022.
    Three guitar solos in this one. Last weekend I was recording guitar solos in another song. Solos are difficult. I am starting to think that songs I write going forward will have a single guitar solo, not a long extended jam but a brief, to the point solo.

Parts of this song are ideas I had as far back as the 1980s, such as the intro. I envisioned that as a sort of a jam section. I finally put these ideas I had decades ago together with some guitar riffs I wrote for the song just in the last couple of years and completed the song.
    This was the first song in which I used my Rickenbacker 4003SW 5 string bass. The song has floating electronic sections, wailing lead guitar, a little ambient guitar in the middle instrumental section, and guitars playing riffs - all the stuff I enjoy writing and playing.

The lyrics of the song came from an idea a former fellow band member had. He suggested doing a concept album based on the settling of people on Polynesian islands. He'd seen a documentary that IIRC mentioned that not a lot is known about where they migrated from or why they settled on islands. I thought "People don't just up and leave their homes, take their families with them across the ocean to find a new place to live just to see what's out there. What's the most common reason people leave their homes and look for a new land to live in?" and I had the subject for my song.
    Last edited by Distance of Man 1; 01-13-2021 at 08:15 AM.

^^Pretty Awesome^^
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Impressive effort! Well thought out and produced!
    The Present Day Composer refuses to DIE!

A really nice and enjoyable song! The arrangement is thrilling and much more intricate than many modern prog songs!! Great vocals and vocal arrangement too! Also, the production is a few notches up and quite "record ready"!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    Also, the production is a few notches up and quite "record ready"!
    It's great to hear your comments on the arrangement. That lets me know my song writing is headed in the right direction.
    Your comment about the production is also very valuable feedback. There are a few minor tweaks I still want to make to this song. But this lets me know that my recording and mixing skills have improved, and the equipment upgrades I have made are resulting in better sound. Thank you for the feedback!

demo of a new solo piece I just finished writing/recording

Greetings,

I hope everyone is doing well. As I just completed a working demo for the first "ensemble" piece of my upcoming debut album and posted the results on SoundCloud, I thought I'd go ahead and share the track with everyone here:

Though a rough mix with minimal FX (no EQ) and a placeholder solo, I think this demo captures the essence of the piece pretty well. For those who are inclined to check it out, I sincerely hope you enjoy the tune.

Thanks a lot and best wishes,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Greetings,

I hope everyone is doing well. As I just completed a working demo for the first "ensemble" piece of my upcoming debut album and posted the results on SoundCloud, I thought I'd go ahead and share the track with everyone here:

Alan
    That is quite good. Great melodies in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Distance of Man 1 View Post
    That is quite good. Great melodies in there.
    Thanks very much, Robert! All the best. -Alan

Greetings,

Though a rough mix with minimal FX (no EQ) and a placeholder solo, I think this demo captures the essence of the piece pretty well. For those who are inclined to check it out, I sincerely hope you enjoy the tune.

Alan
    Sounds great, reminds me of Pekka Pohjola.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Sounds great, reminds me of Pekka Pohjola.
    Thank you very much, Renate! As you know, Pekka is one of my musical heroes so I consider this a very high compliment.

Cheers,

Alan

Thank you very much, Renate! As you know, Pekka is one of my musical heroes so I consider this a very high compliment.

Cheers,

Alan
    He is one of my heroes as well and I think I heard some influence.

Here is a very old composition, I wrote in 1979. I is probably my first composition, at least it is the first that is really completed. It was written for marimba, vibes and synthesizer. I had recorded it before, but this time I used a better program. For marimba and vibes I used the Nord G2 Engine. For the synthesizer I used the virtual MiniMoog from Arturia, with a sound I created myself.

Here's a little something for Valentines Day. A taste of Old New Orleans with a small Miles Davis influence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Here's a little something for Valentines Day. A taste of Old New Orleans with a small Miles Davis influence.

Very nice, though I'm a bit lss charmed by the trumpet-sound.

got a great submission on the guitar challenge thread I started. Where are the rest of you? This one's a real winner from Ross but I know you guys are up to the challenge.

https://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/26641-Guitar-Challenge/page2?highlight=soundcloud