Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
Results 551 to 575 of 594

Thread: Soundcloud Share Thread

  1. #551
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Nice classical piece vibe Renate. I assume writing this because of how detailed it is, took quite a long time. Lot of things going on, but all blend together well.
    I think a church organ would overpower the other tracks, and there is an instrument(Jup 8?) that sounds similar to a organ to me.
    Writing it, took less than a month, but making things ready for recording took quite some time.

    There is another recording on Soundcloud, I recorded in September 2020 with a Nord Electro and a Nord G2 Engine, but I think the new version, which was how I originally intended it, is better. Used virtual instruments, a virtual Roland Juno chorus and the mixer and some effects from Cubase Pro 8.

  2. #552
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    2,306
    Kind of quiet here, so thought I'd share a new song here before I drop the Youtube version outside of this thread.
    Just finished it last Thursday.
    My friend Marv sent out some lyrics he'd just written and wasn't sure if he would be using them. I immediately sat down at my keyboard and began working on the music and vocal.
    I did add some of my own lyrics at the end of the song to complete it.

    No prog here, pretty much a pop song I guess.

    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  3. #553
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Kind of quiet here, so thought I'd share a new song here before I drop the Youtube version outside of this thread.
    Just finished it last Thursday.
    My friend Marv sent out some lyrics he'd just written and wasn't sure if he would be using them. I immediately sat down at my keyboard and began working on the music and vocal.
    I did add some of my own lyrics at the end of the song to complete it.

    No prog here, pretty much a pop song I guess.

    Really nice. Did I hear some Bowie influence in the middle? And some Neil Young in the last part, I think.
    There are some parts that sound a bit disconnected in the mix. They fit, but sound a bit stuck on.

  4. #554
    Member BobM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ponte Vedra, FL
    Posts
    716
    I think I've grown to like your voice more by itself, without the harmonies. It is a little "Fish-like" in intonation, which is interesting. That quality gets lost a bit with the harmony. You should do more of this story board semi-folk style. Have you heard Fish's latest - Weltshmerz? It's a good album.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

  5. #555
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Really nice. Did I hear some Bowie influence in the middle? And some Neil Young in the last part, I think.
    There are some parts that sound a bit disconnected in the mix. They fit, but sound a bit stuck on.
    Hi Renate, the Bowie thing may be there, but in truth I've never listened to much Bowie, although I enjoy his music a lot(when I've heard it).
    I have been on a Neil Young binge lately and just love the guy, he just is amazing and so real. I recently found a hard to get DVD of his Rust Never Sleeps concert which if wonderful
    I appreciate the comment about the disconnect in the mix section. Can you narrow it down for me so I can go back and see what you're referring to.
    That way I can figure out what I was doing at that point. I'm trying to get better at making the final master better as I'm still a work in progress.

    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I think I've grown to like your voice more by itself, without the harmonies. It is a little "Fish-like" in intonation, which is interesting. That quality gets lost a bit with the harmony. You should do more of this story board semi-folk style. Have you heard Fish's latest - Weltshmerz? It's a good album.
    Thank you Bob. I really don't do a lot of harmonizing, it may be the effect I sometimes use, which varies from song to song.
    I was using Sound Toys Echo Boy and there is a slight delay which sometimes mimics doubling. I agree, I often prefer the raw version of my vocals and try to minimize my use of effects, and the last section of the song with my lyrics closing out the song after the break, I have no effects on it and I originally intended to keep the other sections dry as well.
    But to keep things from sounding same same, I used a different effect for the first 3 sections.

    At this point of my hobby, I quit trying to emulate any of my vocal heroes anymore. But after decades of singing along with their music, I think they're forever embedded in my brain.
    Love Fish, it's been awhile since I've picked up a new cd. I think my last one was Raingods for Zippos. I've heard a lot of great things about his "retirement" cd, and will check it out, thanks for the recommendation.

    Thank you both for the feedback, it means a lot to me. This way I can use comments to re-look at what I did and see if I can do better next time.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  6. #556
    Member Guitarplyrjvb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northeast Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    872
    Nice vocals, again, Richard. I especially like the section at th 2:26 mark. It's almost like another song. A little "Beatley" in places, which never hurts, either! Is that acoustic guitar I hear, too? It sounds very nice and sits snugly in the mix. If it's a sample from a keyboard, it's pretty darn good!

  7. #557
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Nice vocals, again, Richard. I especially like the section at th 2:26 mark. It's almost like another song. A little "Beatley" in places, which never hurts, either! Is that acoustic guitar I hear, too? It sounds very nice and sits snugly in the mix. If it's a sample from a keyboard, it's pretty darn good!
    hey Joe, thanks for listening.
    Good ears my friend. The last section is also my favorite. It actually was the first section I had done, as I was trying to find something to explain the intro to "bellbottom jeans were all the rage".
    And early versions this was the intro section, there was no radio voice, but the flow didn't work. I got the idea of the radio guy explaining the era and wound up using the musical intro again to use the final section.
    So, yes that was the original beginning part. In fact it was recorded on another project, so I wound up having to mix it to stereo, export it and then import the stereo track to the new song version and blended in to the end section.

    I've been suffering from numb thumb on my left hand for a couple of years due to over practicing on a guitar with a funky neck(traveller guitar) and it's slowly coming back, but I can't play my Takamine enough to get my fingers strong enough yet. So I invested in some new guitar software.
    I've had Guitar Strummer from Kontakt for several years, and Acoustic Picking for Kontakt and used that for the end section.
    I recently bought Sparkle elec guitar and Amber guitar from a company called UJam.
    I used them both on this recording for strumming(along with Guitar Strummer) and the elec(Sparkle) for rhythm in the middle section.
    I used a lead guitar sample from my Yamaha Montage for the middle section.
    I highly recommend the UJam software if anyone is interested.
    https://www.ujam.com/

    Hopefully I will be able to use the Takamine again in the future, it frustrates me, but you know, when you've got lemons, you make lemonade and I'm grateful to at least play guitar virtually for now.



    Thanks for the comments, ya'll have been great!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  8. #558
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Hi Renate, the Bowie thing may be there, but in truth I've never listened to much Bowie, although I enjoy his music a lot(when I've heard it).
    I have been on a Neil Young binge lately and just love the guy, he just is amazing and so real. I recently found a hard to get DVD of his Rust Never Sleeps concert which if wonderful
    I appreciate the comment about the disconnect in the mix section. Can you narrow it down for me so I can go back and see what you're referring to.
    That way I can figure out what I was doing at that point. I'm trying to get better at making the final master better as I'm still a work in progress.
    It starts somewere around 1:10 I think.

  9. #559
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Kind of quiet here, so thought I'd share a new song here before I drop the Youtube version outside of this thread.
    Just finished it last Thursday.
    My friend Marv sent out some lyrics he'd just written and wasn't sure if he would be using them. I immediately sat down at my keyboard and began working on the music and vocal.
    I did add some of my own lyrics at the end of the song to complete it.

    No prog here, pretty much a pop song I guess.

    Hey man, I love it! Definitely a David Bowie vibe with a little Willie Nelson thrown in the vocal tone. The instrumentation of that outro is lovely, and I really dig the middle section. Lyrics are really cool as well, both your buddy's and yours at the end.

    Well done

  10. #560
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    It starts somewere around 1:10 I think.
    Thanks Renate. I checked that section out, and the transition could probably be a wee bit smoother. Thanks again for your comments, including the constructive ones.

    Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Hey man, I love it! Definitely a David Bowie vibe with a little Willie Nelson thrown in the vocal tone. The instrumentation of that outro is lovely, and I really dig the middle section. Lyrics are really cool as well, both your buddy's and yours at the end.

    Well done
    Wow, thank you Michael. I enjoy your songwriting and videos for Prominent Citizens.
    I love reading how people hear different influences and performance style and tone. I'll take Bowie and Willie comparisons any day.
    Appreciate you listening to the track and for taking time to comment.
    Keep writing/making music. I've been doing it as a hobby for 50 years, and for me, just keep being true to yourself and your heart.
    It can be frustrating to receive little to no feedback at times, but if a song touches one person, it's worth it!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  11. #561
    Something new ...
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

  12. #562
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    2,306
    Love that transition at 1:00 and the organ line throughout, the bass part at 2:00 and the keyboard parts really play well together.
    The section at 4:00 has a UK vibe to me.

    Nice instrumental view of what are indeed troubling times.
    Thanks for stopping by and sharing Dean.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  13. #563
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Something new ...
    Holy smokes that was really amazing! Loved the Rhodes-ey middle break and the guitar work that begins at around 4:20 (!) is super tasty. The chord voicings you chose reminds me a lot of Stevie Wonder when he gets a little fusion-y.

    I'm actually gonna go upstairs in my studio and play some guitar alongside the middle keyboard section.

    Thank you for sharing this. So cool.

  14. #564
    Thanks Top Cat - I cannot deny I was a UK fan. Yep, that first UK album stuck with me for a very long time. Thanks for the kind comments.
    Last edited by Dean Watson; 08-09-2021 at 10:31 PM.
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

  15. #565
    It's always nice when music inspires you to play - I hope you enjoyed playing along with the middle section.
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

  16. #566
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Something new ...
    Very nice. I hear some UK influences at several places.

  17. #567
    Member BobM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ponte Vedra, FL
    Posts
    716
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

  18. #568
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    214
    Here's a lullaby I wrote for my kids a few years ago. I love those little buggers

    https://soundcloud.com/michael-askounes/go-to-sleep

  19. #569
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    That's a cool track. I like the answer/response bit at 4:30 and the breakdown at 3:42. Nice!

  20. #570
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    This was great Bob...love the rhythm section and keyboard playing, but the star of the show is Lobo..lol This was fun and funky, loved it.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  21. #571
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Here's a lullaby I wrote for my kids a few years ago. I love those little buggers

    https://soundcloud.com/michael-askounes/go-to-sleep
    What a wonderful lullaby Michael. How old are your kids? what a blessing they are, so innocent and trusting. I pray all the children will be safe during the events of our time.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  22. #572
    Member BobM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ponte Vedra, FL
    Posts
    716
    I only wish I could sing like that Michael. All I can do is croak out "Lobo".
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

  23. #573
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Love the bass. Very nice song.
    Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Here's a lullaby I wrote for my kids a few years ago. I love those little buggers

    https://soundcloud.com/michael-askounes/go-to-sleep
    Lovely.

  24. #574
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    What a wonderful lullaby Michael. How old are your kids? what a blessing they are, so innocent and trusting. I pray all the children will be safe during the events of our time.
    Thank you! I have 4 children - my girls are 24, 19, and 17, my son is 21.

    My little one's birthday is on Monday, and she is a HUUUGGEE King Crimson fan so I got her tix to the KC concert in DC. Can't wait to go with her

  25. #575
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    2,306
    Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Thank you! I have 4 children - my girls are 24, 19, and 17, my son is 21.

    My little one's birthday is on Monday, and she is a HUUUGGEE King Crimson fan so I got her tix to the KC concert in DC. Can't wait to go with her
    That's fantastic, should be a great show. We took our daughter to see Genesis Invisible Touch tour when she turned 16, and it was her first major concert experience.
    She was a big Depeche Mode fan at the time, but it was still fun enjoying a show together.
    It was a bit awkward when the guys behind us lit up, but we all just had a good chuckle over it. lol
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •