Page 32 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundcloud Share Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Sorry, it's been a while since I visited this thread.

Alan: Your musicianship is off the charts! Love both of the tracks you posted. Your keyboard chops are pretty impressive, too; I had thought you were mainly a guitarist with your Advent stuff but those quick keyboard arpeggios under the string washes were sweet!
    Thanks very much for your kind words, Joe! I appreciate the compliment regarding my keyboard playing, but I should clarify that the arpeggios you mentioned were actually step-sequenced (though everything else but the drums were played live). I'd never really been taken with the idea of step-sequencing, but thought I'd give it a try and was surprised by how this first attempt came out and decided to keep it.

Cheers!

Alan

P.S. I just posted another section of that piece on SoundCloud and will share the link in another post.

one more snippet from my old "The Decades" (unfinished) demo

Hi again,

Inspired by the kind reception the first part of my old demo received, I thought I'd go ahead and share the next snippet from the idea as well:

This was actually the section I'd written first, but it inspired me to work out an intro (and you may notice the introductory reference to the beginning of the Moog theme from this section in that previous post). Thanks again for listening and I hope that at least some folks enjoy this shorter excerpt as well.

All the best,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Hi again,

Inspired by the kind reception the first part of my old demo received, I thought I'd go ahead and share the next snippet from the idea as well:

This was actually the section I'd written first, but it inspired me to work out an intro (and you may notice the introductory reference to the beginning of the Moog theme from this section in that previous post). Thanks again for listening and I hope that at least some folks enjoy this shorter excerpt as well.

All the best,

Alan
    Short, but really nice. Is that a Moog Source on the picture? And did you use that?

Hi again,

All the best,
    Alan
    That was fun, and love the photo of the Moog.

It's amazing how good the Tascam Porta One could sound.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Short, but really nice. Is that a Moog Source on the picture? And did you use that?
    Thanks very much, Renate. Yes, the melody line was all played on my old Moog "The Source" (that I still have).

All the best,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    That was fun, and love the photo of the Moog.

It's amazing how good the Tascam Porta One could sound.
    Thanks very much, Richard! I digitally archived virtually all my old Porta One tapes several years back--and, though I tried to replicate the rough mixes I'd bounced down directly to cassette back in the day, I remixed these new versions in my DAW (and was able to clean things up a little as a result).

Cheers,

Alan

Some stuff I did with my Commodore Amiga and a program named DMCS
    https://rarebirdproductions.bandcamp...inal-recording
    I used a Bit 99 for the piano and my Yamaha TX81Z for all other sounds. The latter I still own and is still functioning.

I recorded this piece also in the studio of a Dutch keyboardplayer with better equipment.
    https://rarebirdproductions.bandcamp...t-ferdi-lancee

Enjoying this right now. Would love to hear it with your intentions re instruments. It would be lovely. Correction. lovelier.

Quote Originally Posted by clivey View Post
    Enjoying this right now. Would love to hear it with your intentions re instruments. It would be lovely. Correction. lovelier.
    Alas it looks like the only tranfer to Cubase I have of it is for an old version of Cubase and I can't load it in the new version. Perhaps I've printed the sheet-music from DMCS with a matrixprinter. I've doné that with several pieces I did with this program.

Gone through my old sheet-music and it looks I don't have sheet-music for this.

Decided to look in my old midi-files and found it.
    Perhaps I can import that in Cubase.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 04-09-2022 at 05:36 AM.

Hi again,

All the best,

Alan
    Fantastic Moog solo, I love it! Short but sweet. The drums drive things along pretty well too despite being, I assume, an early drum machine.

Some stuff I did with my Commodore Amiga and a program named DMCS
    https://rarebirdproductions.bandcamp...inal-recording
    I used a Bit 99 for the piano and my Yamaha TX81Z for all other sounds. The latter I still own and is still functioning.

I recorded this piece also in the studio of a Dutch keyboardplayer with better equipment.
    https://rarebirdproductions.bandcamp...t-ferdi-lancee
    These are both great -- I thought the retro-electronic vibes of the original were quite fun and gave it a great atmosphere, but the later version feels more emotional.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    Fantastic Moog solo, I love it! Short but sweet. The drums drive things along pretty well too despite being, I assume, an early drum machine.
    Thanks very much for your kind feedback, Hans. You are correct in that the drums were programmed (emulating what I actually played on my lap) and rendered through an old Kawai R-50 drum machine.

Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    These are both great -- I thought the retro-electronic vibes of the original were quite fun and gave it a great atmosphere, but the later version feels more emotional.
    Funny, because both were done with the same computer, the same program and the same file. The only difference is better equipment, so better sounds and probably some effects. The Bit 99 had a nice pianosound, for it's price, but well, in the studio there were better instruments. And there were some strings added to the pianopart.

I'm trying to make a new version, with the old midi-file. I'm going to use a piano from Arturia and sampled instruments. I might add a part for stringensemble, but I'm not sure about that. Also not completely sure which sampled instruments I'm going to use. It was written for oboe, flugelhorn, French horn and bassoon. I suppose I'm going to replace the flugelhorn with trumpet, but not sure of the other instruments. Perhaps replacing oboe with alto sax, and bassoon with cello.

Funny, because both were done with the same computer, the same program and the same file. The only difference is better equipment, so better sounds and probably some effects. The Bit 99 had a nice pianosound, for it's price, but well, in the studio there were better instruments. And there were some strings added to the pianopart.

I'm trying to make a new version, with the old midi-file. I'm going to use a piano from Arturia and sampled instruments. I might add a part for stringensemble, but I'm not sure about that. Also not completely sure which sampled instruments I'm going to use. It was written for oboe, flugelhorn, French horn and bassoon. I suppose I'm going to replace the flugelhorn with trumpet, but not sure of the other instruments. Perhaps replacing oboe with alto sax, and bassoon with cello.
    I guess that's a lesson in how much work timbre of sound can do in conveying emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    This is excellent writing! I love the idea and it's luring how this piece develops. Musically it tells a visionary story, but it also can set off the vibe that everything is at a stand still or frozen in time and that all your memories of life are on a projection screen and not unlike how some people describe Gnosis as being a feeling that a human gets , but can't explain in words. This first piece ..I just heard...leaves that impression. Great writing!!!
    Wow. Thanks. Just seeing this. I haven't been on this thread in a while. Also haven't written a damn thing in years.

Keep it coming, everybody. I'm impressed by the how prolific you all are.

Happy Easter and Passover everyone.

Here's something super hot for y'all to enjoy.

https://www.bandlab.com/fabass2020/t...e-28187831e8a1
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Finally recorded Annus horribilis.
    Now I have to burn it on a CD-RW, to transfer it to the computer, remove some silence at the beginning and the end, because there is some time between the start of the recording and the start of the music and between the end of the music and the stopping of the recording. Then I use some mastering-software and put it on Soundcloud.

Here is my latest composition Annus horribilis. It's probably more rock, because it's chord based and the instrumentation is also more in a rock direction, with synthesizers and Fender Rhodes pianos.

Something went wrong with mastering so finally I decided to publish the unmastered version.

Instruments used:
    Nord Electro 2: Rhodes
    Akai Z4 sampler: Rhodes, fretless bass, tenor saxophone, violin
    Nord G2 Engine
    Arturia Solina V2
    Arturia Mini V3
    Arturia Modular V3
    Arturia Mini V3
    All synthesizer sounds are selfcreated.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 04-20-2022 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post

Truly a smoking hot tune...another great collab.
    Thanks for posting Bob.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Here is my latest composition Annus horribilis. It's probably more rock, because it's chord based and the instrumentation is also more in a rock direction, with synthesizers and Fender Rhodes pianos.

Something went wrong with mastering so finally I decided to publish the unmastered version
    Just finished listening Renate, and as I posted on SC, I think this is your best work.
    Wonderful composition and textures. There are parts that remind me of early Larry Fast Synergy, and I mean that as a compliment.
    The amount of work you put into creating this is very obvious in it's structure and tone.
    Truly a great work of art.
    Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Just finished listening Renate, and as I posted on SC, I think this is your best work.
    Wonderful composition and textures. There are parts that remind me of early Larry Fast Synergy, and I mean that as a compliment.
    The amount of work you put into creating this is very obvious in it's structure and tone.
    Truly a great work of art.
    Thank you for sharing.
    There are worse people to be compared with. Considering I think I have most Synergy albums, I consider it a compliment.
    Not sure I consider it my best work, not that I don't like it, but it's hard to think of something as being the best. There are compositions I'm probably not completely satisfied with, but that's all.

It's probably time to start with a new composition. I have ideas for the instrumentation; piano, stringensemble, synthesizers and for the title; 'Dezember'.

Not sure I consider it my best work, not that I don't like it, but it's hard to think of something as being the best. There are compositions I'm probably not completely satisfied with, but that's all.

oh, I totally understand that.
    My definition of best is when a "perfect storm" of factors come together at the same time.
    Writing, performance, choice of instruments, mixing, etc. And elements out of our control that happen, which can be anything from our emotional or physical state, the weather, the temperment of our electronics. etc.

Thanks for listing all the gear you used, well done!

Great! Some of the organ reminds me on 'I'm a man', from Spencer Davis Group. Nice synthesizersoloing.

Thanks for listening guys. This was supposed to be a guitar extravaganza, with just some organ touches in the background, but then I thought of the great Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer duets and said - - what the heck, lets turn this into a party!

Love the layered textures Renate.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Thanks for listening guys. This was supposed to be a guitar extravaganza, with just some organ touches in the background, but then I thought of the great Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer duets and said - - what the heck, lets turn this into a party!

Love the layered textures Renate.
    Thanks. The layering was difficult to mix, getting everything at the right volume and having to add volume-changes in some synthesizerparts. With my earliest version of Cubase, I could create a mixer-track and change the volumes and other things on the spot. Now I need to do that kind of things in the instrument part, because the mixer only records while playing, which makes it impossible to change the volume or other things on the spot in the mixer.