Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundcloud Share Thread

^ Most people are way to critical of their own voices! I'm sure it's just fine. Sometimes, an idiosyncratic vocal makes the song, says Peter Hamill!

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I had an idea, probably a stupid one, but I took my song "Five Alive" written in 5/4 time and thought it might be fun to follow the theme and the chord progression and write a tune in 4/4 (Four Before) then another in 3/4 (Three Bee) and 2/4 (Two Too) and put them all together in a mix. Lots of commonality in the lead theme but the styles and instrumentation are different as the time signature changes. I hope it's not too long to get through to the end.

Nice stuff, what instruments do you use?

a new demo posted (with fretless bass)

Hi again,

Just added one more old demo (the first recording featuring my fretless Rickenbacker 4001) from the late 1980s:

A bit rough and definitely just a long intro, but I hope you like it.

Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Nice stuff, what instruments do you use?
    It's an Arturia Keylab 88 MKII with an Ableton DAW. I've got a bunch of plug-ins from Arturia and others and the Pigments synth. For drums I like to use MT Power Drum Kit when I can and then supplement it. Thanks for listening.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I like it Alan. You've got some great sounds there and nice picking. So this is 40 years old now ... what have you done lately?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Hi Bob,

I like it Alan. You've got some great sounds there and nice picking. So this is 40 years old now ... what have you done lately?
    Thanks very much for your kind feedback. As I ended up forming Advent the following year, most of my output has been in the context of the band--along with the occasional guest appearance and a couple of contributions to fund-raising compilations. I'm very much hope to start working on a solo album at some point this year, but am not sure how long that might take to complete--especially with Advent getting back in the studio again (to finish up a single and get working on our fourth album).

The last (non-archival) recording of mine to be released was a track on the second Ellesmere album--released toward the end of 2018--where I was invited to participate as a guest:

My contribution was only (all) guitars, BTW.

All the best and thanks again,

Alan

It's an Arturia Keylab 88 MKII with an Ableton DAW. I've got a bunch of plug-ins from Arturia and others and the Pigments synth. For drums I like to use MT Power Drum Kit when I can and then supplement it. Thanks for listening.
    I have the Arturia V collection 5.

I've been checking out Advent's Soundcloud page and I have to say I love the originals and the GG tribute stuff Alan. You guys must have a lot of fun syncing to each other in the studio. Pretty fantastic syncopated stuff.

On first search I found the "other" Advent (heavy growling metal) but you weren't listed as a band member - very different sound, to be sure.

Hi Bob,

I've been checking out Advent's Soundcloud page and I have to say I love the originals and the GG tribute stuff Alan. You guys must have a lot of fun syncing to each other in the studio. Pretty fantastic syncopated stuff.

On first search I found the "other" Advent (heavy growling metal) but you weren't listed as a band member - very different sound, to be sure.
    Thanks so much for your very kind feedback. (Apologies for the other bands named Advent who have popped up over time.) If you'd like to hear more of our music, all our original material can be streamed (and purchased, if desired) at our Bandcamp page here:

https://advent-prog.bandcamp.com/

All the best, thanks again, and wishing everyone a great weekend,

Alan

This will be the last one for a while! Just finished it up today. Again, thanks for listening and the feedback, especially from aspiring producers! Sometimes, spending so much time with a tune can blur your musical vision!
    This song's about the occasional drudgery you feel being at work on the cusp of Spring!

Nice tune and a sentiment all can appreciate. I especially like the vocals on this one.

Thanks, Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Hi again,

Just added one more old demo (the first recording featuring my fretless Rickenbacker 4001) from the late 1980s:

A bit rough and definitely just a long intro, but I hope you like it.

Cheers,

Alan
    Wondering how this would get further, I can hear Geddy Lee starting to sing in his old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    This will be the last one for a while! Just finished it up today. Again, thanks for listening and the feedback, especially from aspiring producers! Sometimes, spending so much time with a tune can blur your musical vision!
    This song's about the occasional drudgery you feel being at work on the cusp of Spring!

Nice tune, perhaps a bit less reverb on the vocals?
    Some double-tracking?

^^ Yeah, they’re double tracked.

The new Pat Metheny album made me want to do my take on one of the old PMG songs, so here's a short take on Beat 70. Enjoy.

^^ Took me down to the tropics, there, Bob! It’s got that zydeco sound that makes you want to Salsa!

Bright and bouncy, Bob.
    Probably because I was playing Mario Kart earlier on the N64, but that tune sounded like it could've been part of the soundtrack. Nice driving tune.

Finally put something together today after a couple of dry months.
    I got a Superball pedal by Alexander recently, and have been having fun with it, finding all kinds of useful and totally useless settings. This setting is probably my favorite. A watery vibe/delay/chorus thing.
    But I also have some additional chorus on there, too.

^^ Are you using an amp, or is that pedal DI'd? I really like the slight distortion setting.

Wow, cool surfer dude vibe in the beginning there. I hear the after effect resonance lending it a harmony-like thing, almost a vocal sound, and I like it.

Isn't it great when you find a sound and say to yourself "I've got to do something with this." That must have been what it was like back in the 60's when all those great guitar licks hadn't been invented and played to death yet. "Hey Mick, can you do something lyrical with this mate?" "Ginger, give me a beat over this." "Robert, what kind of scream lends itself to the chorus here, and lets do something other than more Gandalf?"

Joe, I've got my "tone plank" (not a full board, just a piece of wood I put some velcro on for a few pedals at a time) going into Garageband on the iPad. I used the cleanest amp model in there - Clean Combo - but added a very slight bit of gain to it. There are the two short sections with OD on them, but the body was really just the pedals: Superball, Polara reverb (spring) and Boss CE-3. That added to the waviness.
    The Superball can throw some distortion in, too. Some of that may have been coming from the setting.
    First thing I've recorded with my new Jazzmaster, as well. It did nicely.

Bob, yeah. When I came across the tone setting I made sure to save it as a preset, and took a pic of the knobs. With this pedal, there's soooo much variety just a tiny turn of one of the knobs can really throw it into a new direction.

Here's something I thought might represent some of the current fear and angst in the world these days.

Another nice one, Bob! In the part of the tune around :45 - 1:00, are you playing those quick little arpeggios, or is it being done by an arpeggiator? The way the rhythm morphs into a march is cool, too.

Banned
    Great Bob, a lot of very interesting sounds and textures. Care to share your set-up on this one? That metallic vibration sound that first appears at 1:16 is killer. Well done.