Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Soundcloud Share Thread

My daughter says Corona Dub is the best one I've done so far. She says it conveys the anxiety in the world quite distressingly. The machine starting up and finally revving up to speed in the middle portion represents the political machine getting itself going and the little blips and beeps are particularly germ like in their sound. I'm using two different sequencer parts in the beginning. A lot of these are Arturia Pigments sounds that I tweaked in one way or another. I feel its cheating to use a plain patch plug in. I have to make it more my own, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, here's something I did today on a bit happier note - we certainly could use that. I pictured a small French jazz cafe for this one. (yes, being in lock down has its benefits in terms of productivity.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Nobody making any new music with all this time on your hands?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Perhaps time, but also worries and feeling a bit depressed. Nevertheless, I'm working on the mix of 'Ditch' for 2 pianos. I need to get all parts at the right level.

I've been looking through some "Master Class" lessons that Ableton provides while I'm in lock-down. True, most of the music these guys make is club music, and not very musical or melodic to me, it's a lot of rhythm and beat interest but not songwriting per say. However the mixing and editing and arranging parts are giving me some additional tools to work with as well as techniques I can use.

For instance, I never thought of EQ'ing the sub bass out of my Hammond organ VST. There's an underlying noise floor that is visible and audible and I was just cutting the volume on it in the song when it wasn't playing, but that means the noise is there when it is playing. I now realize I can use an EQ curve to just remove that right up front. Totally obvious now, but I didn't think of it before.

I have tried using 2 different versions of a sound and panning one hard right and the other hard left to get something fat, as well as doubling two sounds to make a combo that is quite different from either. I saw him do both of those a bit. Also using a compressor to make a sound punchier. I now put a brick wall filter on the master channel to keep from clipping and I have been using quite a bit of automation to change filters sweeps and relative gain and panning. I'm especially interested in improving the stereo field and spaciousness of the final mix and I think a more judicious use of EQ, especially in removing unnecessary bass frequencies, will now help me get there. Of course reverb helps too if used in the right amount.

What other techniques do you guys recommend? What free on-line master classes have you tried and can recommend?

Here's something to catch your ear while most of us are under a lockdown.

For these difficult times let me present you a memento for mankind's foolish pride and overconfidence that may lead to unforseen, grave consequences.

Momentvm - A Lullaby for Hubris - https://youtu.be/0mV2NXxLBTs

A really nice song. I have to ask, is this about a politician by chance?

My daughter says Corona Dub is the best one I've done so far. She says it conveys the anxiety in the world quite distressingly. The machine starting up and finally revving up to speed in the middle portion represents the political machine getting itself going and the little blips and beeps are particularly germ like in their sound. I'm using two different sequencer parts in the beginning. A lot of these are Arturia Pigments sounds that I tweaked in one way or another. I feel its cheating to use a plain patch plug in. I have to make it more my own, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, here's something I did today on a bit happier note - we certainly could use that. I pictured a small French jazz cafe for this one. (yes, being in lock down has its benefits in terms of productivity.)

Nice song, very nice. Like the accordeon.

I also dislike using factory presets and like to give my own touch. Though I have to say, sometimes I use presets, because they emulate the instruments I like to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Great Bob, a lot of very interesting sounds and textures. Care to share your set-up on this one? That metallic vibration sound that first appears at 1:16 is killer. Well done.
    Yes, something for a horrormovie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Nice song, very nice. Like the accordeon.
    When I was 7 years old I started accordion lessons. I played for 4 years and competed in talent shows until I switched to piano. Won some trophies back then but that damn thing ruined my left hand forever.

It was a beautiful 3 voice Serinelli piano accordion that I sold when my parents died. Sold it for a pittance - I had no clue what it was truly worth. I'm an idiot. It looked just like this one for sale on let go. Wished I had one back now. If anyone is scared of these things I'll gladly take it off your hands. So many jokes about people leaving them for unsuspecting people, I wish one would come my way again.

https://www.letgo.com/en-us/i/serene...c-df633b2670af

When I was 7 years old I started accordion lessons. I played for 4 years and competed in talent shows until I switched to piano. Won some trophies back then but that damn thing ruined my left hand forever.

It was a beautiful 3 voice Serinelli piano accordion that I sold when my parents died. Sold it for a pittance - I had no clue what it was truly worth. I'm an idiot. It looked just like this one for sale on let go. Wished I had one back now. If anyone is scared of these things I'll gladly take it off your hands. So many jokes about people leaving them for unsuspecting people, I wish one would come my way again.

https://www.letgo.com/en-us/i/serene...c-df633b2670af
    Doesn't fit your words under your posts.

Even busier. I run a produce department, so I'm "essential". It's been an insane 3 weeks so far and I'm deadass tired now.

I do have an idea and title about the current pandemic: Planetjacked.
    Everyone's wearing face masks with glasses, hats and/or hoodies, and we all look like we're going to rob a bank (funny/notfunny). And we're all having a lot taken from us, be it people, livelihoods, freedom, any combo of those and more.

This is a song by Joey DeFrancesco, the inheritor of the title "king of jazz organ" from the legendary Jimmy Smith. I only hope that I did it some justice. I have taken a few master classes on-line in mixing and mastering, including the correct use of EQ and compression and such. I hope it sounds a bit more professional than the earlier stuff I did. In any case, I'm learning something new and (hopefully) getting a bit better. Please let me know what you think.

Here is my latest compostion for 2 pianos.

This is a straight recording of the 2 pianos, no effects, no tone-control.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 04-05-2020 at 04:08 AM.

Here's a question for you guys. When you are starting something new do you tend to write in the same key all the time or do you change it up? I would assume vocalists tend to start at or near their natural key, but what about instrumentalists?

I know I like to change it up. My fingers respond and react differently on the piano in different keys, maybe because I'm lazy or falling into familiar patterns (probably). But sometimes I just hear things or react stylistically better on one key than another.

What's your story?

I compose in the key I want, but well, I'm hardly an instrumentalist, just a composer. I might change the pace, if I have the feeling it works better.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Here is my latest compostion for 2 pianos.

This is a straight recording of the 2 pianos, no effects, no tone-control.
    It's really nice/melodic. It's actually more than nice, so impressive.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

What's your story?
    Re: key. You have to have the key you can sing comfortably in. I usually change the key to accommodate. As far as the piano is concerned, I like the keys that have fewest sharps and flats!

What's your story?
    As a guitarist it's easy to stay with keys that includes some open strings, E, A, D, G, B, major and minor... Doubling the guitar with keys, G, Dm and Am are most convenient IMHO so that answers you question.

However, as I have done a lot in the jazz vein, including sitting in with big bands doing Count Basie and such, I'm quite comfortable in any key. With my Variax guitar and also things like VG-99 and GP-10, I have also experimented some with alternate tunings... Some interesting timbres possible for sure!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

A quick sample from the album that I am working on in tempore pestis, or during my enforced vacation--and while my "real" next album is on hold. I was going for the vibe of a '50s/'60s TV show theme on this track.

New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

Something new .... well actually it's quite old, but redone in a more modern way ...
    Out now! My latest work "Track Of Days"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Something new .... well actually it's quite old, but redone in a more modern way ...
    Nice piece and good production!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Nice piece. Do I hear some Alaska?

Banned
    Wow! Fantastic sounds, execution and production from Mr. Dawson and Mr. Dean on those latest tracks!

OK now I'm too embarrassed to post any more of my shit...

Dean, you are simply awesome and a true pro. What or who is it a tribute to?

Nice piece. Do I hear some Alaska?
    Rare bird, if you’re talking about UK then oh likely! I’m still a huge fan of them!
    Out now! My latest work "Track Of Days"!