Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundcloud Share Thread

It's a snow day here in Northeastern Pennsylvania, so I decided to finish-up and post another tune. This isn't really prog. It's just some meat and potatoes rock. You need meat and potatoes on a snow day, though.

Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 01-29-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Bob, a little sinister a little funky. I really liked that one.

Joe, there's something about that that reminds me a little of Dweezil's earlier music. Coolness.

Not much recorded lately, just snippets and ideas. I made my first entry for a board jam. A backing track was picked and each member creates their own music to go over it, then they're all edited together into a single video track. But many of the members don't like the backing track that was chosen or are having a hard time settling into a feel for it. So I don't know if it'll be scrapped for another track.
    I felt the same way at first about it, it wasn't hitting me, but something finally came out. So here's what I did.
    Has a little extra lead-in for editing purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI9GtRLc0Z4

^^ Very interesting, Matt! I can't wait to see how it comes out. I'm sure it'll be quite different with the additional chefs in the kitchen.

Joe, I like the straightforward nature of your recent track. Core rock and roll and a nice guitar solo.

Matt, I like your melody on the board jam. How did you get involved with that? Where does that start? I think it would be fun to take a backing track and lay down something on top of it, like a mental exercise, even if I don't come up with anything I particularly like for submission it would be still be fun.

I watched a video of Steven Wilson's new Ghostwriter sounds VST the other night and I thought it might be nice to combine a few of the scarier, darker sounds from my synth into a sort of horror movie soundtrack of sorts. Here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/user-139631929/horror-show
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

^^Thanks, Bob!

Bob, it's on a different guitar board. I agree, as an exercise in writing to what someone else has started it was a good experience for me.
    I've used backing tracks before to help me learn, but never laid anything concrete down. They're something more interesting than a metronome and a good guide for me to focus more on melody and timing, and work on fingering, tone and technique.

I'd be all for doing something like that here, too. I just don't have the tech, skills or time to put video clips together. Most of the submissions are live, of the players in front of their cameras playing to the backing track. In some cases the person editing it all has to insert the backing track, synced to the player's video, set levels, all that stuff. Lots of effort in the background to put them together.

In my submission I included it in the final track and set the level myself, since I didn't want to submit a live-action video of myself. That kind of thing would be easier to work with to compile. Or we could even submit separately, using the same background music. The other jam is more based on the idea of soloing since it's a guitar board, although I'm complete crap at that, so I went with my own thing. But since we have more types of musicians here, a more song-based approach would be more reasonable anyway.

I like the idea that it didn't really speak to me at first, because it forced me to get past that and create something that worked. Granted, it's not a particularly difficult piece of music to write to, and what I wrote isn't very unique. And the base track isn't even terribly unlike something I might do myself. But it still made me work to fit something to someone else's idea, and the end result isn't too bad. I'd take a stab at anything, really. Especially if it puts me out of my comfort zone.

I wouldn't have a clue how to incorporate any kind of video, not would I want anything like a live video over my shoulder. I personally wouldn't find that interesting. It would have to be some kind of film-like clip or something and I have no editing software or skills for that. But the music side interests me. It would be a challenge to take some kind of backing track and add my own theme and influence on top of it.

Did you guys ever hear any of the Marco Minneman challenge disks? He put together a drum track and challenged some musicians to compose to it. Completely backward to what is usually done, I would guess. I got the one that Alex Machacek made (24 tales) and it is awesome to hear how he took basic drums and made a song over them, even the crazy stuff that just seems to pop up almost randomly. If you wanted to put something together I would definitely be into it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

So I found a nice pretty flute tone and a cool electric guitar, which I was able to add a nice distortion to using cabinet lead plug in. Here's what I made, copied from a live album most of you prog heads should know. 10 points to whoever gets the band name first.

https://soundcloud.com/user-139631929/htm-open-book

Please let me know if I'm posting too much. I'm just having so much fun with this new synth and software and I think you guys would appreciate it.
    Last edited by BobM; 01-23-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Haven't listened yet, but just wanted to say, keep posting!
    I wish I had more to post, and would love to hear more of everyone's output.

Now, I'll listen.

Dude, that was really great! Overall it had a nice build and flow.
    The guitar was pretty damn guitary in a few places. And the flute tone was very good. Sounded like a wind instrument for sure, not keys.

Here's an instrumental track in an uncommon time signature.

Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 02-13-2020 at 09:15 AM.

^
    Aptly titled. Sounds tricky to play.
    Really cool windows down, shades on driving tune. Adventure theme.

^^Thanks, Matt!

A whole thread about Soundcloud, and only 1 person has used the Soundcloud imbed tool I wrote for PE

E.g. this post...

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Here's an instrumental track in an uncommon time signature.

https://soundcloud.com/guitarplyrjvb/whitewater
    You could just click here...

And the magic happens!

When posting : Click "Go Advanced"
    There will be 3 rows of buttons along the top. The one at the bottom right has the Soundcloud logo.
    Click it, and insert the URL ... and I'll do the rest for you
    Regards,

Duncan

Doh!

Joe, live the drive of that tune. The guitar solo sounds to me like you've channeled Stanley Whitaker, and that's a good thing.

^^ Thanks, Bob! Stan would be horrified!

Here's a little tribute to one of my favorite current symph prog groups.

Bob, very nice! The recording is pristine. What rig are you using for recording the Arturia?

Thanks, it came with Ableton Lite free. I think I could use more than 8 tracks sometimes but this will do for now. Upgrading costs $300 so I think I will stick with what I have and learn all the nuances.

^^Hardware interface?

Yeah, this is all midi from my keyboard. Probably why it sounds as clean as it does.

I've been listening to the new IQ album and I guess I've been influenced.

^^ Very tasty! I like where the Hammond comes in at around the midpoint. The whole tune has kind of an ambient/hypnotic feel to it.

I've been in a bit of a drought lately. Nothing I'm doing is working for me. It's either sounding bad in the mix or coming out sloppy. Usually both. Maybe I just haven't let any of the ideas percolate long enough before pouring them out and they're weak. I've deleted much more than I've kept, and that mostly just so I don't completely forget something that might have some promise.

Ah, well. Can't force it. But I've at least been working on my soldering technique, swapping parts and pickups on a few guitars, and fixing some cables that were sketchy.

Hi, and do long instrumentals (and songs): https://neronmusic1.bandcamp.com
    https://soundcloud.com/neronmusic

happy to hear some feedback.