Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundcloud Share Thread

There's some really nice stuff linked in the pages of this thread. Thanks for sharing.
    After over 30 years of writing, playing in bands doing the music of other people, and upgrades to my home studio, I've released an album of the music of the band I played in from 1998 to 2015.
    Originally I planned to record it on my ADAT and mix on my Mackie mixer. It's probably best that it took longer and ended up being recorded and mixed on a computer in Cubase 5.5.
    We finished recording parts in about 2010, then finished mixing in 2012. I later discovered that those mixes were overly bright, so I remixed the songs in January of this year and then released them on Spotify, Google Play, itunes, Apple Music, etc. The album has two instrumental tracks and three with vocals, and people have said it reminds them of Kansas, Yes, Genesis, and Rush. It's melodic song oriented progressive rock, no atonal or free improvisation jams.

The band Concept of Innocence is now inactive, but I'm writing and recording more progressive rock. I think the stuff I'm working on will sound better than Concept of Innocence because I've become a better songwriter and I've continued upgrading my studio.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...YP6Q8zsvky_Hyc

Quote Originally Posted by Distance of Man 1 View Post
    Really nice stuff! I was about to just probe the tracks but ended up listening to the whole album! Sure some influences are there - the list you included with some additional UK and Marillion I would say! But also a common distinctive style of your own! The compositions and arrangements are exquisite - some really nice turns and goosebump moments! Nice handling of the instruments (maybe the drum parts where slightly over the drummers' ability?). The production is OK, but it's loud with some sacrificed dynamics as well as bandwidth! I wish I could hear the songs in full detail! I very much look forward to hear your upcoming music!
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

There's some really nice stuff linked in the pages of this thread. Thanks for sharing.
    After over 30 years of writing, playing in bands doing the music of other people, and upgrades to my home studio, I've released an album of the music of the band I played in from 1998 to 2015.
    Originally I planned to record it on my ADAT and mix on my Mackie mixer. It's probably best that it took longer and ended up being recorded and mixed on a computer in Cubase 5.5.
    We finished recording parts in about 2010, then finished mixing in 2012. I later discovered that those mixes were overly bright, so I remixed the songs in January of this year and then released them on Spotify, Google Play, itunes, Apple Music, etc. The album has two instrumental tracks and three with vocals, and people have said it reminds them of Kansas, Yes, Genesis, and Rush. It's melodic song oriented progressive rock, no atonal or free improvisation jams.

The band Concept of Innocence is now inactive, but I'm writing and recording more progressive rock. I think the stuff I'm working on will sound better than Concept of Innocence because I've become a better songwriter and I've continued upgrading my studio.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...YP6Q8zsvky_Hyc

Nice stuff. Did I hear some violin in the first song? Vocally it reminds me a bit on Yes. Some of House with two books reminds me a bit on Rush.

Very nice indeed. It's a good sign when I can listen to the whole track without wanting to jump out before the end and this certainly held my interest all the way through its 5 minute length. I will definitely have to listen to the whole album in the near future. Looking forward to that 19 minute masterpiece and your new stuff too.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    (maybe the drum parts where slightly over the drummers' ability?).
    I'll be sure to tell him you said that. LOL.
    Actually I think Jim did a great job. There were spots where I thought maybe something less technical and more grooving might have worked better, but I wanted him to be free to compose his parts, and we both didn't want him to just copy the programmed drums that I used when I worked out the arrangements and compositions on a computer. Most of these pieces were written in the 1990s when I was still composing and arranging on my Atari ST2 MEGA computer.
    I also think we both wanted to push ourselves, compose parts that were challenging. I know some of my guitar parts, I came up with an idea and later went "I can't actually play this! I'll have to practice this before I try recording it!".

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    The production is OK, but it's loud with some sacrificed dynamics as well as bandwidth! I wish I could hear the songs in full detail! I very much look forward to hear your upcoming music!
    Thanks for that input. I use the best gear I can afford, but it's serous home studio stuff - JoeMeek, focusrite, Presonus, Trident, etc, not pro studio stuff. I have significantly upgraded mics since last year, and in 2016 I got a Presonus ADL700 that I'm recording vocals through, and they're more clear and detailed than anything I recorded back 10 years ago.
    Now the level and dynamics, that's great input. I should back off a little bit in my mastering software. Thanks for listening, and thanks for the pointers! My plan is definitely to put more music out there.

BTW your material a few pages back was phenomenal. I took one listen this morning but I'm going to give it another for sure.
    Last edited by Distance of Man 1; 10-04-2020 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Nice stuff. Did I hear some violin in the first song? Vocally it reminds me a bit on Yes. Some of House with two books reminds me a bit on Rush.
    Thanks for listening! There's no violin in the first song. Probably what you heard was played on guitar.

I also think we both wanted to push ourselves, compose parts that were challenging. I know some of my guitar parts, I came up with an idea and later went "I can't actually play this! I'll have to practice this before I try recording it!".
    I'm sorry! Your efforts are impressive and there are complicated stuff happening and you pull it off well! I recognize the situation where you have have ideas where you have to challenge yourself to pull it off. However I tend to be a bit conservative on my own behalf. Regarding the drums, I'm just a bit overly sensitive sometimes

Thanks for that input. I use the best gear I can afford, but it's serous home studio stuff - JoeMeek, focusrite, Presonus, Trident, etc, not pro studio stuff. I have significantly upgraded mics since last year, and in 2016 I got a Presonus ADL700 that I'm recording vocals through, and they're more clear and detailed than anything I recorded back 10 years ago. Now the level and dynamics, that's great input. I should back off a little bit in my mastering software. Thanks for listening, and thanks for the pointers! My plan is definitely to put more music out there.
    Lovely to hear more is coming! For my mixing, as my hearing isn't the best anymore, I often use reference tracks to find the best balance frequency wise. I am also old-school regarding dynamics - not opting for maximum loudness and keeping the final mix clean, without any added "warmth". Listening again to your songs, the bass is all right but in my opinion, maybe you cut a tad to much on the top?

BTW your material a few pages back was phenomenal. I took one listen this morning but I'm going to give it another for sure.
    Thank you! Much appreciated! More things coming eventually but I've been a slow mover lately!

Just listened to the whole thing. I love it, but you definitely could have used some better vocals.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Just listened to the whole thing. I love it, but you definitely could have used some better vocals.
    Thanks. Yeah, I hear ya, but we have to work with what we have.
    All the better singers in town either want to sing in cover bands and make some money every weekend or sing in church. What can you do?
    I'm doing vocal exercises and trying to improve intonation and technique.

Excellent..listening to Wavelengths on YouTube as I write this.
    I can't think of anything negative or suggest something to change, and I really like the vocals.
    I'll check the rest out as I have time.
    Thumbs up from me and have you thought about putting up a Bandcamp page?
    and whatever you, don't look at the analytics section of YouTube for your hits..it can turn a giant of a man into a tiny snail. lol
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Thanks. Yeah, I hear ya, but we have to work with what we have.
    All the better singers in town either want to sing in cover bands and make some money every weekend or sing in church. What can you do?
    I'm doing vocal exercises and trying to improve intonation and technique.
    I think you voice has a really nice timbre and the vocal arrangements are really good! I believe it's got great potential, with some more work regarding vocal production! I even would like to collaborate, would you be interested! PM me in such case!

https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...ative-projects

I heard this guitar riff on some TV show earlier in the week and I just had to do something with it.

Hi everyone, just recently discovered this great forum by accident

I can share my music, if you are interested in more metal side of prog rock, have a look:

https://nanohertz.bandcamp.com/track/origin

There are more tracks to listen on bandcamp if you like it.
    Cheers!

I thought it might be appropriate to post this on Veteran's Day (in the US). It tells the story of one brave soldier on the day of the Normandy invasion of Europe, a day that changed the world. That soldier, an old man now, reflects on the feats he witnessed and participated in, his lost comrades, and the simple life he lived afterwards. Many of the old men and women we see today, sadly fewer each year, are heroes in disguise. We will probably never see their like again. My dad was one of 'em at the Battle of the Bulge.

Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 11-02-2020 at 01:59 PM.

Really good, Joe. I like the overall upbeat feel, but it has some tension, too. There's a nice Rush vibe to the solo break.

^^ Thanks, Matt! If I could only develop a Geddy-like screech!

I like that muted lead guitar lead sound and the syncopated style of the lyrics as well as the drum lead-in to the guitar solo. Yeah, it is a bit Rush like - it's got some nice complexity to it Joe.

Thanks, Bob, for listening and your kind words!

I've done a few more recently. Just stuff to pass the time.

I think Lurker is my favorite (cool frog)

Matt, I'd also have to agree that Lurker is my favorite, although the riffs, progressions and guitar sounds are nice in all of them. What is the bit rate of uploaded material on YouTube? Is it 256K? Sound quality is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I think Lurker is my favorite (cool frog)
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Matt, I'd also have to agree that Lurker is my favorite, although the riffs, progressions and guitar sounds are nice in all of them. What is the bit rate of uploaded material on YouTube? Is it 256K? Sound quality is very good.
    Thanks! Lurker was fun. The frog is at the desert museum. He and I were having a real connection that day. When I got near the display he shifted in the little pool he was sitting in, looked right at me and came over to let me get a pic. Followed me back and forth a few times. Definitely a cool frog.

Joe, I export them from Garageband as uncompressed .wav files. I open them in Audacity, usually just to add a second of silence at the beginning and maybe fade out the end, then save them as 320k mp3s.

Guys, check out Bandlab. It's free mastering and I really like the results and the options you have to choose from - normal CD, enhanced bass, enhanced treble. Then you can download in a variety of ways including 24bit HD - for free. And it's unlimited, no fee and use it as many times as you need to. The only suggestion I have is make sure your mixes are about 6DB down or more when you submit them for mastering so they have room to do what they need to do.

^ Thanks, Bob. Seems to be the platform of choice these days.

At some point the last few days the movie "Nightbreed" popped into my head when I was working on this one, so I made it a song for the outcasts who lived in Midian.

The description I gave it on the page:
    A song for the denizens of Midian who daily push against their restraints of the light, to issue forth from beneath and revel in the night.