Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundcloud Share Thread

Thanks guys. Glad you like it.

I do like pushing myself and making things "prog-like" but there's just something special about a good piano piece.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Here's one just finished this morning. It's based on Robert Louis Stevenson's "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". Everyone has a dark side. This is about someone who let it take over!

Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 06-19-2021 at 03:22 PM.

Were you listening to Alan Parsons first album when you thought of this theme or just drinking from a cask of Amontillado ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Thanks guys. Glad you like it.

I do like pushing myself and making things "prog-like" but there's just something special about a good piano piece.
    Very nice. Beautifull interplay between the piano and the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Here's on just finished this morning. It's based on Robert Louis Stevenson's "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". Everyone has a dark side. This is about someone who let it take over!

Did you try to channel Alice Cooper? Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Did you try to channel Alice Cooper? Nice job.
    Thanks, Renate! I didn't, but I love Alice from Love it to Death through Billion Dollar Babies.

Were you listening to Alan Parsons first album when you thought of this theme or just drinking from a cask of Amontillado ?
    Hey, Bob. This one is actually based on Robert Louis Stevenson, not Poe. It's about a friend's descent into alcoholism and becoming his own Hyde. A sad case.

This one is kind of a bummer of a topic: Someone facing Assisted Suicide or Euthanasia.

Here's my take on a great Zappa song. It's a bit of his No 1 and No 2, so I called it "Sofa No 3".

https://www.bandlab.com/ptmconsultin...d-e42aaca6966e

^^ Nice rendition. Again, your guitar samples are really good. Nice piano playing, too.

This thread used to have more people on it. Where did everyone go? It's almost dead. Is nobody recording anything, or was that just because we were all home bound during Covid?

This thread used to have more people on it. Where did everyone go? It's almost dead. Is nobody recording anything, or was that just because we were all home bound during Covid?
    I'm still working on something and I have another composition, that is almost ready for recording.

Here's my take on a great Zappa song. It's a bit of his No 1 and No 2, so I called it "Sofa No 3".

https://www.bandlab.com/ptmconsultin...d-e42aaca6966e
    Very nice. Don't know if I have the original (could be).

I think the title of the thread scares a lot of non recording musicians away as it has a limited appeal.
    That's why I wound up always posting a separate post because it seems it's the same couple of people posting new music and commenting, and I see very little participation by others from PE.

Of course, it's been my experience that even posting a separate post or what I've seen the response to other peoples new music here on PE, is usually quite minimal. I guess it's the nature of the beast here on PE.
    When I was a member of KvR for years, they have a separate place called New Music Cafe or something like that. I remember listening to tracks from none other than Nad Sylvan when he and Bonemici were together as a music duo.

Perhaps we can ask Duncan if it would be possible to start a new forum with a name like that with it's own thread where each musician can post their song with it's own title where people can listen and/or comment on that person's song instead of digging through a whole thread where each person's song or music is intermingled in the thread together.
    If it's a busy thread, people may not want to take the time to wade through all of the comments to find new songs, and I do think the title Soundcloud Share Thread makes it sound like a few people sharing their stuff and other members on PE don't bother entering.

Just a few thoughts that I've had for awhile.
    I think all of us work hard on our music, writing, recording and mixing and you'd like that to highlighted when you post it, rather than hidden in a thread like this.
    Again, that's the only reason I've posted separately when I've posted new music.

I would love to be a part of a Cafe like that and post any new music that way, rather than starting a separate new post just for me.

For example: MUSIC CAFE
    new post: Letter from Home by BobM
    separate new post: The Terminal Man by Joe Bailey
    then each person would comment under it's own individual post
    but every new song post would be under the Music Cafe forum.
    Each new submission would be visible in one place but separate from each other.

I know there is something similar here on PE, but it seems it's for professional musicians, and I've never felt comfortable posting new music in that thread since it's my hobby only.

Hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 07-21-2021 at 02:22 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I think the title of the thread scares a lot of non recording musicians away as it has a limited appeal.
    That's why I wound up always posting a separate post because it seems it's the same couple of people posting new music and commenting, and I see very little participation by others from PE.

Of course, it's been my experience that even posting a separate post or what I've seen the response to other peoples new music here on PE, is usually quite minimal. I guess it's the nature of the beast here on PE.
    When I was a member of KvR for years, they have a separate place called New Music Cafe or something like that. I remember listening to tracks from none other than Nad Sylvan when he and Bonemici were together as a music duo.

Perhaps we can ask Duncan if it would be possible to start a new forum with a name like that with it's own thread where each musician can post their song with it's own title where people can listen and/or comment on that person's song instead of digging through a whole thread where each person's song or music is intermingled in the thread together.
    If it's a busy thread, people may not want to take the time to wade through all of the comments to find new songs, and I do think the title Soundcloud Share Thread makes it sound like a few people sharing their stuff and other members on PE don't bother entering.

Just a few thoughts that I've had for awhile.
    I think all of us work hard on our music, writing, recording and mixing and you'd like that to highlighted when you post it, rather than hidden in a thread like this.
    Again, that's the only reason I've posted separately when I've posted new music.

I would love to be a part of a Cafe like that and post any new music that way, rather than starting a separate new post just for me.

For example: MUSIC CAFE
    new post: Letter from Home by BobM
    separate new post: The Terminal Man by Joe Bailey
    then each person would comment under it's own individual post
    but every new song post would be under the Music Cafe forum.
    Each new submission would be visible in one place but separate from each other.

I know there is something similar here on PE, but it seems it's for professional musicians, and I've never felt comfortable posting new music since it's my hobby only.

Hope this makes sense.
    As long as I don't make money with my music, it's my hobby as well. Don't expect ever to make a living from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    As long as I don't make money with my music, it's my hobby as well. Don't expect ever to make a living from it.
    I've always enjoyed your music Rarebird, along with many of the people in this thread.
    It's interesting to hear what people who love and create music without the pressures of contracts or people with expectations.

I know I write for myself because I have to, it's what keeps me sane and happy a lot of times. If I didn't let it out I'm afraid I'd turn into a dried up old prune.

Then you share it with others, and if there's no response, at least you shared it.

About a year or two ago I posted something on Soundcloud. And my plays showed it being played in Kuwait a couple times a week.
    Don't know what that was all about, but to think someone is listening in Kuwait or Germany or Italy or New Jersey is interesting.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

SoundCloud is generally regarded mostly as a free "playground" for music and DJs and any attempts they have made to change that has fallen short, in contrast to BandCamp which have a more "serious" air to it, with many also established artist appear there. For me SoundCloud has been fine to share ideas and experiments with friends or as a general portfolio. As such I agree the title just might put potential listeners off as something "not so worthwhile", compared to say, a "Latest Bandcamp discoveries".

I think the idea about a "platform independent" Music Cafe forum as described above is very interesting!

BTW, some musician friends have started to use Audius (https://audius.co/) as a (functionally similar) free and less limited alternative to SoundCloud.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I like the idea. This thread scares most people, I agree. It's only fellow amateurs like us that click on it when we see something new posted.

However I would guess the administrators will say "that's what the artists forum is for." This place doesn't have two dozen forums like many other discussion sites, there's a very small few, so I doubt they would want to expand for a limited audience like us. We all know how hard it is to get followers on Bandcamp or Soundcloud. I tend to post in both places and sometimes I get a few "likes" from someone far away, and then I listen to their music too.

But in the end, we do this because we can, because we have to express ourselves really don't have any choice but to make music. Though it would be nice to have that effort appreciated as we grow and change and experiment.

I like the idea. This thread scares most people, I agree. It's only fellow amateurs like us that click on it when we see something new posted.

However I would guess the administrators will say "that's what the artists forum is for." This place doesn't have two dozen forums like many other discussion sites, there's a very small few, so I doubt they would want to expand for a limited audience like us. We all know how hard it is to get followers on Bandcamp or Soundcloud. I tend to post in both places and sometimes I get a few "likes" from someone far away, and then I listen to their music too.

But in the end, we do this because we can, because we have to express ourselves really don't have any choice but to make music. Though it would be nice to have that effort appreciated as we grow and change and experiment.
    I sent an email to the site administrator...can't hurt to try, right?
    Here is a copy of the content:

Some of us who are musicians creating new music(hobbyists and non professional) wonder if it would be possible to create a new forum where those who have new music/videos could have a place to post them.
    I know there is another forum page for something similar, but it's usually populated by professionals, some well known artists and some not so well known.
    And for the rest of us, we don't feel right posting our music there.

There is a post on the Artists page callled the Soundcloud Track thread, but you have to weed through the comments to see new music posts, plus it doesn't get visited by many members (I think because of the title as well as having to sort through the comments).

It would be nice to have something like a music cafe where a member can post their individual song, and then another member can do their song in a separate post, etc.
    A centralized place for all of the non professionals, although many of us have bandcamp, soundcloud and youtube channels.

I do realize it may not be as popular a forum as the others, and understand if it's not thought of as workable or worth it.

Just thought we'd give it a try.

I usually post my new music/videos in the Artist's forum, but it would be nice to have a place where all of us who create at home can have a community location to post.
    Hopefully over time it would be a fun place for other members to visit every day and check out some great home grown music from some very talented PE members.

Thank you for llistening.
    TOP CAT

Thanks . keep us posted on any response.

Now, for another question. Do you ever listen more than once to anything we post here? OK, I know you really have to like it to even get to the end the first time, but we all put so much into our composition, instrument choices, mixing and production that the first time through isn't enough to fully appreciate what you are listening to. I know I'm guilty of getting halfway through and then clicking off if it just isn't making an impression on me. No shame there, I get it, but I often do things at the end of a song that expand it beyond the simpler stuff at the beginning. It's a momentum, crescendo thing, and I wonder if anyone ever gets there to hear it, let alone play it again. Just like a book. You don't know you are being thrown a hint/cookie at the beginning that should tip you off to the ending until you read it a second time and go, "oh yeah, I see that now."

I do listen to folks' music more than once. If they're on SoundCloud, I follow them and go back and listen to the tracks occasionally. I guess there's so much music out there, that you really don't have time to spend on any one artist, even those on major labels. I've found that there's an inverse relationship between the amount of music available and the repeat listens of anything. I guess the sheer volume dilutes the attention that any specific artist attracts.

I appreciate that feedback from other people contributing to this thread and it's very interesting to see what others are up to. The level of talent that many of you display is astounding. I don't know if changing the structure of the forum would really result in any more attention given to any specific artist. Many people might consider it spam. I've felt that myself, sometimes, posting new stuff to this group.

Here's one I threw together last night in insomniac mode.

https://www.bandlab.com/ptmconsultin...3-501ac5b31db1

^^ Nice, contemplative piece!

Thanks . keep us posted on any response.

Now, for another question. Do you ever listen more than once to anything we post here? OK, I know you really have to like it to even get to the end the first time, but we all put so much into our composition, instrument choices, mixing and production that the first time through isn't enough to fully appreciate what you are listening to. I know I'm guilty of getting halfway through and then clicking off if it just isn't making an impression on me. No shame there, I get it, but I often do things at the end of a song that expand it beyond the simpler stuff at the beginning. It's a momentum, crescendo thing, and I wonder if anyone ever gets there to hear it, let alone play it again. Just like a book. You don't know you are being thrown a hint/cookie at the beginning that should tip you off to the ending until you read it a second time and go, "oh yeah, I see that now."
    I usually only listen to a new song once because I'm easily distracted, and move on quickly.
    I believe in giving an artist whether it's a group or artist we know, or someone here at PE my complete attention on first listen to their song.
    I may fast forward to another section if something doesn't grab me right away, but I do complete a listen to a song.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I do listen to folks' music more than once. If they're on SoundCloud, I follow them and go back and listen to the tracks occasionally. I guess there's so much music out there, that you really don't have time to spend on any one artist, even those on major labels. I've found that there's an inverse relationship between the amount of music available and the repeat listens of anything. I guess the sheer volume dilutes the attention that any specific artist attracts.

I appreciate that feedback from other people contributing to this thread and it's very interesting to see what others are up to. The level of talent that many of you display is astounding. I don't know if changing the structure of the forum would really result in any more attention given to any specific artist. Many people might consider it spam. I've felt that myself, sometimes, posting new stuff to this group.
    Joe, I understand what you're saying, but to me your songs(everyone) deserve wider exposure, and I don't think they get that in this thread.
    I know it's not the intention of anyone here, but frankly sometimes when I've dropped in, it has a feeling of a "members only" club, where the conversation is between a couple of people, and I think that scares away PE members who would like to participate.
    Not everyone who listens to music here is interested in giving feedback, especially on a technical level...as recording methods, instruments used. etc
    As I said, it's not the intention, but it is a side affect of musicians discussing songwriting together.
    I personally love that kind of conversation, but for many it's all about just listening to a new song.

I'm amazed by the talent here at PE, and I just feel, the creator and the song deserve a little cafe where you can showcase your hard work, and have it sitting right next to another musician's hard work.
    I think the work deserves their own space.
    Not sure I understand the spam part.

As I referenced, KvR had/has a nice separate forum called the music cafe, where members post a song and other's listen and comment and can even download it from the source used if desired.

Joe, I've listened to your music and I would love it getting wider exposure here on PE, and I think a lot of people still think of SoundCloud as amateur hour, with the idea it's for musicians who use it to host demos, ideas, unfinished songs, etc.

Since Bob M is involved in this conversation as well, another talented person. Your album about 911 is a work of love, creativity and is very well done, both in writing and performance.

I wish I had been more articulate in my email to the administrator, as I didn't mean posting single songs to the cafe would be limited to non professional musicians. It would be open to everyone.

Here's one I threw together last night in insomniac mode.

https://www.bandlab.com/ptmconsultin...3-501ac5b31db1
    Bob writes in description "I cry for the world"..yes, and this beautiful piano piece expresses that..