Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920

Thread: Soundcloud Share Thread

Wow. Some very impressive pieces on the preceding page. Everyone is busy, and has great results to show for it!
    I have been working on this piece over the winter. It's mostly done except for a few production tweaks. Once I get a few more pieces done I'm going to release them on an album.
    This one is instrumental. I came up with parts of it in 1988 and arranged the sections into a song in 1990. I'd rehearsed this one with bands I was in, had recorded early versions of it in 1998 and 2005 when I was recording on an ADAT and mixing with a pair of Mackie 16 channel mixers, but hadn't released a proper "final" version. I think this will be that.

It has analog (modeled) synths, a hardware analog synth, harmony guitar melodies, E Bow guitars, a Rickenbacker bass, some Mellotron string and choir sounds, a pensive, introspective little interlude in the middle, and a jam section at the end. The jam at the end is part my not very developed songwriting skills in 1990, and part inspired by seeing bands back in those days like Jerry Goodman's. I got to see Jerry Goodman a few times in 1988/89, and he had songs with a jam section at the end where he and his guitarist would trade licks. It was just the most incredible thing to see in a live show.

Last edited by Distance of Man 1; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Distance of Man 1 View Post
    Wow. Some very impressive pieces on the preceding page. Everyone is busy, and has great results to show for it!
    I have been working on this piece over the winter. It's mostly done except for a few production tweaks. Once I get a few more pieces done I'm going to release them on an album.
    This one is instrumental. I came up with parts of it in 1988 and arranged the sections into a song in 1990. I'd rehearsed this one with bands I was in, had recorded early versions of it in 1998 and 2005 when I was recording on an ADAT and mixing with a pair of Mackie 16 channel mixers, but hadn't released a proper "final" version. I think this will be that.

It has analog (modeled) synths, a hardware analog synth, harmony guitar melodies, E Bow guitars, a Rickenbacker bass, some Mellotron string and choir sounds, a pensive, introspective little interlude in the middle, and a jam section at the end. The jam at the end is part my not very developed songwriting skills in 1990, and part inspired by seeing bands back in those days like Jerry Goodman's. I got to see Jerry Goodman a few times in 1988/89, and he had songs with a jam section at the end where he and his guitarist would trade licks. It was just the most incredible thing to see in a live show.

Great. The opening makes me want to play air-guitar and air-keyboards.
    What Mackie mixers did you use? I have a Mackie CR 1604.

Quote Originally Posted by Distance of Man 1 View Post

Excellent...quite an ambitious project. I really like the ebb and flow between high energy and the mellower sections.
    As a listener, and this is just my personal thought, the song felt like it started too strong out of the gate to me. Perhaps a few bars as an intro to set it up, then BAM!!
    But I'm just a mellow old fart and other's mileage may vary.
    Thanks for all your very hard work and for posting.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    What Mackie mixers did you use? I have a Mackie CR 1604.
    I used a Cr-1604 and a 1604 VLZ PRO that I got a few years later, wired together with their Mixer Mixer. I still have all that stuff. The 1604 VLZ PRO came in handy in summer of 2016 when I friend asked me to play recording engineer for a CD his band was recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    As a listener, and this is just my personal thought, the song felt like it started too strong out of the gate to me. Perhaps a few bars as an intro to set it up, then BAM!!
    But I'm just a mellow old fart and other's mileage may vary.
    Thanks for all your very hard work and for posting.
    That's a very intriguing idea.
    It might sound very nice to have a little ambient noodling at the very beginning, sort of the same effect as the birds and water sounds at the beginning of "Close to the Edge", before the band breaks in, in full rock mode.
    Last edited by Distance of Man 1; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:06 PM.

At about 1:20 you have a nice soft pad and bass line that might do very nice as an introduction at the beginning also.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.